• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 09:53 AM

I'm wondering if this could be the reason why it keeps throwing belts.   I noticed that when I raise the 42 " snowblower on my lawn tractor that the right side was  higher.  I grabbed the auger housing and was able to lift it about an inch or more.  I could " wiggle" it.   So I was thinking that  this may be the problem with the belt getting thrown.  I come out of the shed and down the ramp with the blower raised, and then lower it when I hit the end of the ramp.  Some times it'll work for awhile and then when I raise it to back up and then lower it again it only goes into the snow a few feet before tossing the belt.   Any suggestions ??

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,679 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 10:07 AM

First off, new belt. Second, look for a spot on the attachment where it is slightly off. Maybe an arm pinned on the wrong side of it's attachment point? It sounds like it's hooked up correctly, just slightly off. Also check the pulleys for any play in them whatsoever.

Does it matter how much snow you're blowing when the belt decides to go? For instance, will it stay on if you ease into snow, and it falls off if you're into 4-6 inches right off the bat?

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 12:12 PM

Let the air out of the tire that is on the High side!

#4 Lmiller3358 OFFLINE  

Lmiller3358

• Member No: 5109
  • 1,332 Thanks
  • 1,316 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 01:13 PM

Not sure of the mounting set up on one of those, could be a worn or egg shaped hole in the mounting causing it to be off on on side, a little back there could mean a lot up front, just a thought !

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 01:41 PM

If the lift isn't attached to the center of the blower the heavy side will hang lower. The blower has to be balanced at the lift point. The important thing is that the blower sets level on the ground when it's down. Even that isn't real critical. I have yet to see a blower that hung exactly level when raised. There might be some out there but I haven't run across it. 

Your belt having been thrown a few times probably has a broken cord in it and will not stay on. Check and make sure the idler pulleys turn smoothly and the tension is set correctly. 

#6 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 02:50 PM

The blower on my LT1000 has a fair amount of... play, I guess, from the horizontal when lifted. Never bothered any about throwing the belt. I think it has to be able to float to follow uneven ground. 

Make sure the idler pulleys, especially the ones that guide the belt around the 90° turn up then back around right next to the blower pulley are in good condition and not tweaked. Also check to see that the belt isn't rubbing on anything between the mule drive and blower that could cause it to throw off. 

As has been mentioned, a bad belt will throw itself off, too. 

• MH81 said thank you

#7 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:03 AM

TThanks for the replies.  Further investigation showed that the  bracket that holds the small pulleys in front of the big auger pulley is loose. It's missing a couple of bolts and nuts.  One might even be broken off.    Hope to get it fixed  this weekend.   Again, thanks for all the suggestions ! 

• MH81 and Oo-v-oO have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 10:05 AM

Glad you found the reason, thanks for letting us know.

#9 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 02:55 PM

That will definitely throw belts!

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,467 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 03:26 PM

Yes, thanks for the follow up. Always interesting to know what the answer to a problem was. 

#11 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 04:45 PM

JOY! JOY!   After paying different dealers an arm and a leg for pickup & delivery plus labor, I have a guy that fixed it at a very reasonable price, and did it in my shed. I spent about an hour cleaning the driveway and enjoyed every minute.  About 15" of snow and more'n a 150 feet by by 21 feet wide.  I had just about given up and was ready to sell the snow blower cheap.Those bolts do not come out easy. 

• MH81 said thank you

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,206 Thanks
  • 28,581 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 05:03 PM

Fantastic news. Glad you were able to get the snowblower level

#13 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 05:18 PM

Fantastic news. Glad you were able to get the snowblower level

That makes two of us !  :D   Really, being old and out of shape stinks .  BUT paying dealers who are supposed to know what they're doing and DON'T is worse.    20 years ago I would've been able to crawl around and get a good look at everything and  would have muddled my way through.  Ah well, old age is tough but it beats the alternative! 

• MH81 said thank you