• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 12:27 PM

I've got several tractors that are in need of wheel weights.  I'm open to about any option, but would prefer metal/cast weights.  I got some of the Craftsman plastic filled weights that are supposed to fit an 8" rim, but the don't fit the step downs/hub bore on the Massey / Snapper 1855s.

Ideally, I'd like one or two sets of weights for the front (8") wheels, and three or four sets of the rear weights for a 12" wheel.  If I could find a set or two that were "stackable" to double up on the rear weights, that'd be even better!

Does anyone have any recommendations?  Brand doesn't matter to me at all.  I'm simply looking for something that will get the job done.  Is there any new supplier where I can buy these?

Thanks for any and all help!

Eric

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 01:15 PM

There was a thread on here somewhere in which a guy made a set of weights out of brake drums & concrete, and another fellow used a torque converter.

#3 GlenPettit OFFLINE  

GlenPettit
  • Member No: 34353
  • 520 Thanks
  • 143 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 04:13 PM

• Consider using liquid in the tires (a lot less money than steel):
• Windshield Washer Fluid or RV Antifreeze are OK (but some brands may rust wheels), and you can fill them yourself.
• The very best liquid by far is using "Rim Guard" (google it). Front 16" tires hold 2 gal each and rear 23" tires hold 5+ gal, a total of 14 gal at 11+ pounds per gal; costs about $2.50/gal if you fill them yourself. Very safe for the earth, USA grown & processed. If your tires are fairly new & good, you don't need tubes. This is the only product that Farmers fill their new tractor tires with today, the old salt brine was very bad..
• Steel weights will cost you about $1/pound, IF you can find any used ones for sale.
• Always keep additional weight very low, it's very important to also add weight to the front, not just the rear (about 20% to front).
• Inside the tire is out-of-sight and out-of-the-way and you have room to add steel if you need to.
• For traction, have firmer tires in the Winter, 20#PSI, and less, 10#PSI in the Summer mowing.
• A gentleman is now making new cast ones. You can find the info here: http://gardentractor...w-new/?p=401273

Re: http://gardentractor...-weights-on-gt/

Edited by MH81, January 02, 2014 - 07:18 AM.

• MH81, KC9KAS and ENafziger have said thanks

#4 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:21 PM

^^^ Thanks for all of the info!  I emailed Mark, and I do plan on using Rim Guard as well.

One of the tractors has a FEL on it, which makes steering very difficult when the bucket's full.  I hesitate to add any front weight to this one, but would like to add ~ 350 lbs or so to the rear wheels/tires.  The second tractor, I'd like to add about 120 lbs or so to the front, and about 250 to the back.  On the third tractor (mowing service primarily), the 26# weights Mark offers would be just about right in the rear to give some side-hill stability and a little traction up the steep spots in the yard.

Thanks again, Eric

• GlenPettit said thank you

#5 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 11:38 AM

Yikes!!!! Okay, this has got me down in the dumps...  I got a plan for my one general purpose tractor that sounded really good....until I looked at the cost!!!

Click on the chart below to enlarge. Tire prices taken from Miller Tire.  All other prices via local vendors, except Mark's weights.

Weights.PNG

...and YIKES!!!! I effectively reached my goal of adding ~ 120 lbs to the front, and nearly 400 lbs total to the rear....but at the cost of pushing $1400!!! That's going to be a hard pill to swallow...for one tractor!

--Eric

Edited by ENafziger, December 31, 2013 - 11:46 AM.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 12:46 PM

That IS just a quote right?

I know that I saw a post over on MTF from the miller tire folks saying that they weren't carrying Rim Guard any more.

Their claim was that it was because it was hard to pump un the winter, etc.

From looking at that, it's clear that they weren't selling it because of their insane pricing.

My local John Deere dealership, and we all know that JD isn't exactly know for having 'budget pricing", only charged me $2.60/Gal, which included the installation.

$10.72/Gal  is highway robbery!

Edited by OldBuzzard, December 31, 2013 - 12:48 PM.

• MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and ENafziger have said thanks

#7 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 12:50 PM

That's a lot of $$$ for extra weight, you don't have to spend that much on NEW STUFF.

As you can see from your chart adding Liquid weight is the cheapest way to go.

Start there, if your not sure about your tires holding air put tubes in them.

As for wheel weights best to look around see what you can find for sale on Kijiji, Craigs list.

Front cast iron weights 8" weights are the hardest to find.

Any Jd weight seems to be the most expensive. ???

For rear cast iron weights, almost anything that fits 12" rims will work.

12" inside weights (or outside )

2pc Massey - 40lbs each

WW 005.jpg

Cub Cadet - 26lbs each

WW 006.jpg

Wheel Horse - 50lbs each ???

Rear_wheel_weights_8-1111.jpg

Outside cast weights

This style, comes with different names on them - 50lbs each

$(KGrHqZ,!oQFCsFzpUeUBQ41RpDly!~~48_20.JPG SAM_0106.JPG

Sears - 35lbs ???

$(KGrHqZ,!hoF!dITeVhZBQR-HJlTu!~~48_20.JPG

JD - 50lbs ???

251152.jpg

These are the ones that seem to be the most popular, available that I have found.

Here's a set of heavy ones, don't know if still for sale?

http://gardentractor...wheel-horse-ny/

Edited by DH1, December 31, 2013 - 12:55 PM.

• ENafziger said thank you

#8 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 02:31 PM

^^^ Miller tire doesn't carry Rim Guard as far as I know.  I'm from Knoxville, and the closest dealer here would be a 5 hour round trip.  I talked to someone (Jim?) at Rim Guard, and he said figure ~ $3/gallon installed price.  That's what I based my prices off of, plus added a little for brass/metal valve stems.  He said the Rim Guard would disolve the adhesive in rubber valve stems and the small type tubes used on garden tractors.

I've been scouring local craigslist for several months, without any success on wheel weights.  I actually did find a set of Craftsman front weights that I too eagerly jumped on...because the shaped hub bore is not big enough for our tractors.  I feel that ~$1/lb is fair market value, but I can't find anything semi local...and on items that heavy, shipping can get expensive.

New prices (Mark Jackson and the larger 80 lb JD weights) seem to be $2 - 2.25/lb...and unfortunately that adds up pretty quickly.  I may resort to scouring the local scrap yard and seeing what I can come up with.  Oddly, it seems that these old tractors are worth 10x in pieces what they are as a whole...

--Eric

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 09:21 AM

There is a guy who goes to many of our area shows with parts. He usually sells any mystery weights at $50 - $75 a pair, so around .50-.75 a lb. Na,e Brand, much higher... especially yellow.
mystery weights on CL, they usually run 1-2 a lb here

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 12:43 PM

Might see how far this is from you. On a globe, it doesn't look far, but that can be deceiving.

http://columbus.crai...4234774715.html

#11 baerpath OFFLINE  

baerpath
  • Member No: 10928
  • 314 Thanks
  • 514 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 01:21 PM

These were on another list Their in south Pa

http://www.wheelhors...ats-1075-parts/

E ROWE wheel weights. VERY HEAVY. Weigh 110lbs each! Cast iron fits 12" wheel. WILL NOT SHIP $100/pair

• OldBuzzard and ENafziger have said thanks

#12 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 01, 2014 - 03:12 PM

These were on another list Their in south Pa
http://www.wheelhors...ats-1075-parts/

E ROWE wheel weights. VERY HEAVY. Weigh 110lbs each! Cast iron fits 12" wheel. WILL NOT SHIP $100/pair

I have a set of those on the HDT1000. :D :D :D

Good thing that I had the forklift to help when I put them on. There would have been no way for me to have done it by myself otherwise.

Here's a pic of one sitting next to a 50# Bolens weight just so you can see how big they are:

100_4486.JPG

A side view from when I was installing them:

100_4786.JPG

And what they look like after they are on the tractor:

Fall%20P&P%20day_-8jpg.jpg

With those on the wheels and Rim Guard in the tires, I definitely don't lack for traction.

#13 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 09:55 AM

Wow, thanks guys for all the info.  That's some very helpful stuff there!!  I have a better idea for sure of what I'm looking for now...I just have to drive to round stuff up, or find someone willing to ship.

I know this is a little rediculous, but in the past 10 months since I've started getting these tractors and implements together, I've have traveled 5,031 miles to round up what I have so far!!! Yikes!!! The way I see it though, is it's a forever investment of time/money.  I don't plan on getting rid of these tractors, and they've got plenty of work ahead of them.

OldBuzzard, how do you come by all of your attachments?  A little at a time over years and years?

--Eric

• OldBuzzard and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,313 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 12:19 PM

OldBuzzard, how do you come by all of your attachments?  A little at a time over years and years?

--Eric

Nope, he logs a BUNCH of miles in his RV (The HMS Rainmaker) with a trailer behind it.  Ahhh, retired people... :poke:

• OldBuzzard and ENafziger have said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 03, 2014 - 12:40 PM

I've have traveled 5,031 miles to round up what I have so far!!! Yikes!!!

--Eric

Your just getting started, :poke:  I had that many miles in the last trip I made to pick up stuff. :smilewink:

It takes time to gather up everything you want or think you need, hang in there and You'll get what you want.

There was a thread about a member here who used Heavy Wall Pipe Flanges that me picked up at the scrap yard. That's one of the cheapest ways to add weight.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wanted, snapper massey 1855 12 8