16 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:09 AM

I have decided that I am going to sell my Ariens GT17 and purchase something else to cut my grass with.

So far, I've been kind of hot on finding a nice John Deere 110 round fender.  I really like those.  We had 2 of them we restored but later sold them to buy more Cubs.  I always enjoyed cutting with them and they lay down a nice cut. 

My other option is the Cub 128 that we got back from my aunt.  It has a stuck valve, and a rust problem.  I has sat outside for the last 10 years, and probably the other years of its life.  The body work is rough with surface rust and dings.  It ran and cut well when it was running.  To get it back into shape, it needs full tear down, sand blast, repaint, motor work(not sure how serious but we have several motors 10 to 14HP that will work), plus it will need tires and other little repair jobs.

I'm cutting 2 acres, not looking to cut it super fast, I don't really want a HUGE tractor because I have to cut around the house, and around trees, and my wifes darn landscaping.  50" max deck. 

The Ariens does a good job, but the finish quality of the cut is not on par with the cubs or deeres that I have used in the past.  We have a shed full of tractors, but I'm not willing to cut grass with a restored tractor.  They are garage queens.  The 128 that Dad uses is there, but its a pain driving it up the road cut grass then drive it back home.  Plus the old 12HP Kohler has developed a slight smoking problem and is going to need rebuilt.  Dad wants to hold off as long as possible before we change out the engine with one of our other motors. 

I'm considering using the Economy King when the grass starts growing, but I imagine that will be a pain around the house.  Probably have to use the snapper to edge in with.  As I refuse to use push mowers. 

• hamman said thank you

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:25 AM

Add Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas in your dad's tractor. That may reduce the smoking. Restore the one from your aunt. Half way through the restoration the JD110 will show up. Good Luck, Rick

BTW If you don't start the restoration, the JD won't show up.

• twostep and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#3 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:26 AM

Opinion on the Power King for mowing.....NOT!  They mow OK, except the 60" deck that will scalp easy and PIA to maneuver around things. Constant shifting and backing. They DO turn easy and tighter one way than other.Speed is hard to regulate, first too slow, sometimes 2nd too fast. I think the Wheelhorse B or C series are nicest to workwith/steer. Can turn real nice and controls easy with pedals and such. Seem to cut OK. 2 acres might need the C series with bigger Kohlers. Hydros OK, but I like the 8spd choices. Most Cubs and Deeres that I have run that are hydro need your hand on travel lever ALL the time to move faster and slower up/down hills and around things. You steer with just one hand then. I have a newer cheap John Deere that is hydro foot pedal and V-twin Kohler and 48"? mower and I think it is like a Cadillac after driving/mowing with anything else in my oldies garage. Cuts nice too. To me a foot control hydro is the ONLY way to go for ease and comfort. Bolens is that way for many years, but haven't ever had one to try.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#4 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,061 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:36 AM

I don't think too many folks would oppose bringing the old Cub back to life, to serve gain...but, you said you don't want to cut with a restored tractor, and that's about where you will be to get it back.  Sounds like a great excuse to buy another machine, be it the JD or something else.

Since you are specifically calling out mowing, and want 50" or smaller, I have to throw the Simplicity towel in.  I simply cannot cut with anything else.  They shine when the grass is long...or short.  Excel for mowing while turning, and over contours.  They flat out rock for cutting grass, and do it best.  I love the old ones, and since you're considering the old round fender, I'd grab up a cheap roundhood Simplicity Landlord or Allis B series.  They look great, are fun and reliable to run, easy to work on, and have the same (the best) cut as the models that followed them for another 40+ years. 

Just look at her!  (The tractor, not the help!)

landlord_pg4.JPG

• Alc, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:50 AM

I don't think too many folks would oppose bringing the old Cub back to life, to serve gain...but, you said you don't want to cut with a restored tractor, and that's about where you will be to get it back.  Sounds like a great excuse to buy another machine, be it the JD or something else.

Since you are specifically calling out mowing, and want 50" or smaller, I have to throw the Simplicity towel in.  I simply cannot cut with anything else.  They shine when the grass is long...or short.  Excel for mowing while turning, and over contours.  They flat out rock for cutting grass, and do it best.  I love the old ones, and since you're considering the old round fender, I'd grab up a cheap roundhood Simplicity Landlord or Allis B series.  They look great, are fun and reliable to run, easy to work on, and have the same (the best) cut as the models that followed them for another 40+ years. 

Just look at her!  (The tractor, not the help!)

That gives me something new to think about.

The Cub 128 wouldn't be a restore, but I am weird, and a perfectionist in some ways.  For me to what to use that tractor it would have to be a near total restore.  I wouldn't go to the lenghts that the shed queens but it would be close. 

http://akroncanton.c...4210273295.html

What year is this one?  Seems 80s to me

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 30, 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#6 Rock farmer OFFLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 12:20 PM

That's probably an early seventies. Although they were made into the eighties.

Those Simplicites are fine machines. I have two of them. It has a lever for the hydro control. But, it is a good design.
I would prefer a foot control. Ford/Jacobsen has that standard. You can buy a foot control conversion that will fit meny of the Wheel horse tractors. For mowing I've heard it said that simplicty made the best deck. An I'm inclined to agree.

Joe
  • boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 12:31 PM

All of the ones mentioned will mow grass and do a fair job.

Now I don't own one and never have, but used to run a lawncare business and spent a lot of time watching what others(competition) were doing. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the best cut comes from using a Simplicity (or Simplicity built Machine AKA Allis Chalmers).  I used to work in a town where the parks department used nothing but Allis Chalmers. I asked why and was told it was the only machine that would not leave clumps when mowing dew soaked grass in the morning, they also laid down a very nice stripe. And I never saw clumps in their cemetarys or parks.  My neighbor is now using a Simplicity ZTR and the stripes are perfect.

I am keeping an eye out for a nice AC myself.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 30, 2013 - 12:40 PM.

• IamSherwood, boyscout862 and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 12:52 PM

I hate you guys....now I've just wasted an hour at work looking on craigslist at allis chalmers and simplicity tractors...!!!

Just kidding, thanks for the information!  Anyone else have suggestions?

I'm not looking for a do all garden tractor, but a tractor that will cut grass and look like a golf course.  But I want an older machine.

#9 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,491 Thanks
  • 4,948 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 01:15 PM

I have to throw my $.05 in for the Allis/Simplicity's also. My dad's 1970 AC HB212 was the best mowing machine I have ever used, nothing else in their class can even compare.

• IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 01:25 PM

I have a bunch of the old Allis/Simplicities. They are the most fun to operate. They have as many attachments as Bolens and are very popular/available. Check out www.simpletractors.com you will spend hours on that site. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, December 30, 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,744 Thanks
  • 8,918 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 01:40 PM

If you prefer to stay with an older machine and want the 'golf course' look, Simplicity is the only choice unless you want to fabricate striping rollers onto another brand's deck.

deck redo4 005.jpg Striping 2011 002.jpg

• JD DANNELS and IamSherwood have said thanks

#12 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,061 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 01:54 PM

http://akroncanton.c...4210273295.html

What year is this one?  Seems 80s to me

All bias and kidding aside, I like them just 'cuz, but there are a lot of GT options out there that will mow fine, and opening up your options to 'anythng' could get you a great deal.  However, since you are very specifically calling out the desire for a neat old tractor that has an amazing cut, I wouldn't steer someone to anything else and still sleep at nite.  I mow with them because the cut is immaculate, and I like goofing around with the old tractors.

Here's a neat pic...the tractor is a 2000 Simplicity Sovereign.  It was the last year of that type of tractor, and the basic design was simply an improved version of what they came out with in the '70's, and those were improved over what came out in the '60's.  The deck designs went virtually unchanged (some drive changes, upgraded parts, etc, but the deck shell, etc all remained for decades).

In this pic, I mowed half of the lawn with the 2000 Sovereign, and the other half with my Grandfather's '68 Allis.  Same stripes, only the Allis stripes were 6" narrower (42" vs 48" decks).  I dial my decks in, by the book, and to the same height and could mow with any one of them for a identical golf course look. 

20130921_165909.jpg

When you mow with one, this just happens by accident!  Whatever you end up doing, I'm sure you'll have fun, and will look forward to the results. :thumbs:

• Alc, IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks

#13 Talntedmrgreen ONLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,061 Thanks
  • 2,177 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:25 PM

Also, for kicks, if you do end up peeking at any on CL, use this as a reference.  Shows most models (there are Allis equivilents of most), and their model years. 

http://www.simpletra.../simplicity.htm

#14 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 03:47 PM

'Golf Course' quality cut eh?

Maneuverable, eh?

Sounds like you need a Bolens EK10 with the 42" deck.

With the deck out front, it does a really nice job since it cuts the grass before the wheels run over it.

Being articulated, it's the next best thing to a Z-turn when it comes to maneuverability, so getting around the 'pesky' landscaping would be a cinch.

If you REALLY don't care how long it takes, and want the ULTIMATE cut, you can put a 30" reel mower on the front.

Here's the EK7 with a 30" reel mower.

100_4692.JPG

• JD DANNELS and IamSherwood have said thanks

#15 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 04:46 PM

'Golf Course' quality cut eh?

Maneuverable, eh?

Sounds like you need a Bolens EK10 with the 42" deck.

With the deck out front, it does a really nice job since it cuts the grass before the wheels run over it.

Being articulated, it's the next best thing to a Z-turn when it comes to maneuverability, so getting around the 'pesky' landscaping would be a cinch.

If you REALLY don't care how long it takes, and want the ULTIMATE cut, you can put a 30" reel mower on the front.

Here's the EK7 with a 30" reel mower.

If one wanted to go to the front mount a fellow member has a Sun Runner thats available in Simplicity colors and I have seen them in Aiils Orange and Deutz-Allis Green.

http://gardentractor...nrunner-clutch/