4 replies to this topic

#1 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• Member No: 1059
  • 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Re 48"Ariens Sno Thro Model 831025

Input shaft endplay is set with an adjustment plug very similar to an Ariens mower deck gear box. On a set-up like this (tapered bearings on ends of input shaft with driven gear in between), you normally want about 5 thou endplay. The Ariens Service Manual says to adjust plug until the input shaft is "snug". What the heck does that mean? Guess it isn't too critical if Ariens does not specify a numerical endplay spec. I am going to set it at 5 thou unless any of you folks can give me a better idea. Thanks for your help.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:05 PM

I guess to me snug would mean no noticeable end play but not so tight it is binding. 

• MH81 said thank you

#3 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:45 PM

I guess to me snug would mean no noticeable end play but not so tight it is binding.

Thanks Brian. I agree. Will set at 5 thou and see how it feels. Definitely want to err on the loose side.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 03:41 PM

Is that the Cast Iron gearbox on that 48" blower? I have a 28" Ariens commercial walk behind and it looks like the same gear box on that. It's an animal of a blower 11.5hp and only 28" wide. It blows heavy wet snow 30+ feet when my neighbors' blower is barely able to clear the end of the chute. 

#5 artbuc OFFLINE  

artbuc

• 70 Thanks
  • 152 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Yes, very heavy duty cast iron box with heavy duty internals. This machine is a beast. Never checked the exact manufacturing date but I am guessing late 80's. I bought it used in the early 90's. Traded in my plow. We were having a very unusual heavy snow year and I ran out of room to push the snow. Never regretted it. I'm guessing there are not too many of these still in operation considering the small number of responses on my other thread re the seized auger.