32 replies to this topic

#16 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 01:05 AM

I emailed a buddy about your problem. His advice was "that carb barely worked when they were new. Old they usually have no hope his best bet is to replace it with a mikuni or a tiltitson. Also check the crank seals"

How many cc is that engine?

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 29, 2013 - 01:12 AM.

• bread320i said thank you

#17 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 416
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:27 AM

This is a 362cc OMC engine.

I have heard these carburetors were lousy and can be replaced with a Tiltitson. I guess I don't know enough about these sleds to find the correct replacement carburetor.

It would be great to find a manual for this sled and engine.

#18 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:23 AM

This is a 362cc OMC engine.

I have heard these carburetors were lousy and can be replaced with a Tiltitson. I guess I don't know enough about these sleds to find the correct replacement carburetor.

It would be great to find a manual for this sled and engine.

Spelled Tillotson, you are talking about the HL or HR triple stackers, the fuel pump is an aid with the Tilly carbs, with the float carb the pump needs to be pumping at least 75 % strong, around 5 to 6 lb pressure, the tilly carb and pump work together making for a better system.

My OMC engine was in a 60's Ski Horse with the same carb you have.

http://www.google.co....58187178,d.cGU

• bread320i said thank you

#19 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I thought I was looking for a Tillotson HD carb. I was slightly confused at first, but you answered my question why these Tillotsons have no float.

So are the fuel pumps a part of the carb? or do I need to find a pump too?

#20 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:54 AM

The Tillys have pump built into it, can be finicky as all heck seeing as there is no ''reservoir'' (float bowl) to draw from, i shot you the tilly HL/HR because it can be had new, more or less fits the twin cylinder 362 cc two smokers with some to spare. The HD may work, not sure, never tried on a OMC,  the The HR/HL Tilly carb only has a min. lift of 6/8 inches or so (going by memory), it replaces the original pump you have, i had good results running the Tilly carb with the original inline pump wide open but it tended to run very rich at lower end and flood at idle.

The Tilly carb is not cheap but very dependable but you have to make sure nothing get sucked in, put in a inline fuel filter and keep it clean, If not enough lift then you can order another diaphragm and plate or if too much and the carb's main screw is almost all the way in, remove a diaphragm and plate.

Just to add, you might want to make sure the engine seals are good, bushings/bearings are not loose, just make sure the engine is up to par and worth it before adding a new carb and it will still be a lead sled, not a bullet like the new sleds.

I am not a expert on these, and tend to stick with 4-stroke engine, there are fourms out there were guys have ripped apart these engines and ground up rebuild/modify, you might want to seek them out for manuals and specs.

Edited by trowel, December 29, 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#21 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:00 AM

I am not sure what I want to do now.

I do not want to spend a lot on this sled. Unfortunately I feel like I am fixing up a parts machine.

If I could only get the engine to run good enough with the carburetor I have.  

#22 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:12 AM

Look/ask around for used carbs, check things out, it sounds like the track needs to be worked on too, think about it, you never know, something may come along.

Some of the other guys may have a way to to make the original carb work or have much better advice then me, i am only throwing you some options.

Have to run, working on a customer's Ariens snowblower, carb problems (figures huh !)

#23 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:19 AM

Thank you for your help.

• trowel said thank you

#24 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 09:43 AM

Unrelated, but I would tend to mix the fuel a little richer than 50:1 on this sled. If it is like the Evinrude my friend had when we were kids, it has an open chaincase and a small copper line coming from the crankcase that syphons off some of the oil out of the premix and drips it on the chain. 

His sled actually called for 16:1 for premix and he mixed it like that... once. It was pretty hard to ride behind him, looked like a James Bond smoke screen. The good thing is that it was so slow and passing him was easy. 

My suggestion would be either 32:1 or 40:1. 

His may have been slow, but it did run well with the original float carburetor. I second the opinion that you must have some blockage somewhere, or leaky crank seals. Running a 2-stroke lean, especially mixed as light as you have this one, is asking for trouble. Inspect the area around the output shaft, between the inner clutch sheave and crankcase. Do you see fresh oil there? Unfortunately, the other end is a lot harder to inspect, being under the flywheel.

The track sounds like the bigger of the worries, though. I have seen where people have spliced in sections of piano hinge but that is a band-aid at best. You may still be able to get a replacement track but of course they are not inexpensive. Might not be a bad idea to look for another sled with a good track and make one out of the two. 

Got any pictures? I love to see the old sleds. 

#25 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 10:40 AM

I am hoping to repair the track. I plan on grinding the rivets out and remaking the seam just the way it was originally made.

I am going to check the crank seals after I fix the track.

We originally had 32:1 mix in the tank and had worse results. Research said the original suggested premix is 50:1

I guess if all fails I will try to sell the sled, and look for something that runs and drives well. This will give me more tractor time.

#26 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,313 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:06 AM

Oh yeah,that sled should probably have points and mechanical timing. Check that it is in spec.and beware of crank case seals.....may cause lean burn....and melt down.

My thought exactly!  It's usually the clutch side seal that fails due to the heat generated there..  ANY air leak can cause your trouble..  (Case/Intake Manifold/ seal)  It can also melt your engine down as TG warns you of..  

The Skeeter's were rugged old buggers..  Saw a few of 'em but never owned one..

So you've been through the fuel system and all's OK so that is the next test I would try..  Take a can of starting fluid and while the engine is running. Spray it in the seal area..  if the engine speed changes you found your problem..  Replace your seal..  (Need a clutch puller)

As far as the track goes I remember one of my teenage friends used fence wire to tie his back together!!  It was a recipe for disaster if someone was unfortunate enough to be behind him when they came flying off!!   :biting_nails:

Replacement is the only/best option IMHO  Good Luck!!

• Alc and tractorgarden have said thanks

#27 Oo-v-oO OFFLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:21 AM

I'll just say that I am extremely skeptical of a 50:1 premix ratio being suggested in 1968, particularly if this has the chain oiler.

If you do sell, there may be some interest with vintage sled collectors. Those horizontally opposed OMC engines are pretty cool. You DO need to make sure the plug wire insulation on the cylinder facing you is in good condition, though... you'd have to ask another friend of mine how it felt when he slid forward to maneuver his Mercury and shorted the plug wire out on his crotch.   :smilewink:

• Alc said thank you

#28 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 11:35 PM

Any progress on this

#29 bread320i OFFLINE  

bread320i
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 593 Thanks
  • 1,220 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:08 AM

I repaired the track and got it installed.

I have decided not to continue fixing the Evinrude. I will try selling it or wait to spring to tackle crank seals.

I have since spent a lot of time researching early Yamaha Exciters. I just picked up a 1978 440 Saturday.

#30 bgkid2966 ONLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 08:20 AM

Does it run? Do you have pics? You will like the 78 440. That is one really quick sled and light too. I have a 77 340 that was pretty quick with my 340 pounds on the back. Love the old Exciters!

Geno