14 replies to this topic

#1 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Today my brother and I went to pick up a Bolens 1050 and attachments that were on the other side of the state. We left at about 5am and got home at 5:30 pm. The total distance we drove is about 620 miles round trip. The 1050 has been run for a few years and needs some work to get it running again but it did come with a mower deck, snow plow and snow blower. My brother also got an older DR brush mower that started up and ran after he put some gas in the tank. The main reason I drove so far to get the 1050 was because everything was free. The PO is a member on MTF and wanted the tractor to go to a good home. I will get better pictures tomorrow and tell some more of the tractors history.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1898.JPG
  • 100_1899.JPG
  • 100_1901.JPG

• OldBuzzard, Texas Deere and Horse, blackjackjakexxix and 7 others have said thanks

#2 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Nice load! Long day, but always fun to bring home a new toy!
  • farmerall said thank you

#3 Kfs35 OFFLINE  

Kfs35
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 22474
  • 395 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Looks like a good haul!

#4 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • Member No: 51959
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:32 PM

Nice

#5 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • Member No: 51959
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Nice

#6 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:22 PM

I think you paid too much for it to travel that far.  But that's just my opinion.

Ben W.

#7 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:49 PM

i was next in line for that 1050 lol.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:59 PM

Matt, Looks like a good load, can't wait to see what all you have after you get it unloaded.

#9 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Matt, Looks like a good load, can't wait to see what all you have after you get it unloaded.

It's already unloaded and Ray and I were messing with it for a few minutes, it was just too dark to get good pictures.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#10 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:24 PM

A little of the history of the tractor. I got the tractor from a guy named Mike and he had the tractor for most of his life.

Mike said that when he was about 5 his dad bought the tractor used from a coworker and it came with the mower deck and snowplow. For a long time the tractor was used to mow their yard in the summer and plow snow in the winter. Later Mike said he moved from NJ to Pa and brought the tractor with him. After that he only used the tractor for clearing snow in the winter. He said that he got the snowblower from in the trash as he was on his way to work one morning and had to stuff it in the trunk of his Honda car for the day. About 6 years ago the engine wore out so he had it rebuilt by a local shop and since then it has only been run 3-4 hours. He said it has been sitting for the last 3 years because there is a issue with the transmission and he didn't have time or a place to work on it. About a year or so ago he offered the tractor free to a good home and said that NJken was going to come get it but Mike changed his mind and wanted to try and fix it again. Recently his friends remodeled the barn where they let him store the tractor and he didn't want it to be in their way so he offered it free to a good home again. As talked with him today it was clear how much he cared for the tractor and he said he would miss it since it was one of the few things he had left that his dad had owned. He said it wants to see it run again and be used for what it was meant to do. I hope to have it running soon and may use it to plow snow this winter if I can fix the transmission easily.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#11 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,350 Thanks
  • 1,759 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:21 PM

Good to see someone who will get it up and running,NICE find

#12 Delmar ONLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,321 Thanks
  • 2,415 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:22 PM

That 1050 is great tractor with a great history.  I hope you can get it going again. 

#13 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:48 PM

Sounds like a good reason for some window time. Looking forward to seeing this 1050 sitting next to your others.

#14 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:46 PM

I worked on the 1050 for a few hours today and made a lot of progress. I found the source of the wiring problems, which was that a large section of the wiring harness had melted and fused together. When this happened it also fried the solenoid, luckily I had a good one from a Cub Cadet so I replaced the bad one with it. I cut out the solid mass of wirings and spliced in some new temporary wires to replace the melted ones. Later this week I will buy some new wires and wire ends to make a new harness. After fixing the wiring I did get the engine to fire up and it sounds good. I am still having a few wiring issues but I'm slowly working them out and hope to have them sorted out soon. Next I need to look into the trans and see whats wrong with it.

100_1907_zps72a37a43.jpg

100_1902_zpsaa2cacd1.jpg

100_1906_zpsf9a60302.jpg

Edited by farmerall, December 29, 2013 - 06:52 PM.

• OldBuzzard, LPBolens and metrodoggreg have said thanks

#15 bolex OFFLINE  

bolex
  • Member No: 9864
  • 123 Thanks
  • 313 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 06:51 PM

boy i hate to see wiring like that for no other reason than you know that regulator is most likely to be fried good looking engine and unit congrats  :thumbs: