#1 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 06:33 PM

My son's friend was given one of these, this kids knows nothing if it doesn't fit in your hand and have a bunch of buttons on it..... parts of it showed up in a box. It appears the engine gear is chewed up so they started tearing it apart and some parts seem to be missing.

Any way to determine who made this thing?

I figure it's got a little 49cc 2 cyl, know what mixture it would be? I would like to see if it runs to make sure before I try to buy other parts.

Thanks

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Here is what it's worth. The wheels and forks will sell on ebay.

They aren't worth fixing or messing with. They are disposable in my opinion.

Sorry I'm a bit jaded on these. Wasted 2 weeks of my life trying to fix one for a friend and I gave up.

#3 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,626 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Most of those never had more than a half hours run time on them because they were made to sell not use. 

Made in China and horrible quality.  I wouldn't waste any time or money getting it going.  If you want to fabricate something put a chainsaw engine on it.  Then it would stay together.

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:12 PM

Thanks, kind of what I wanted to hear :smilewink: .

This is kind of my son's project, but he knows nothing about them so I got drafted.

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Take off what you can sell and send the rest back to china via the scrap yard.When they do run their death traps and when they don't,( which is 90% of the time) they are door stops.Find him a cheap GT to putz with and more fun when running.
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#6 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,873 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Gosh guys, I'd hate to ask you about something you don't like,  lol. Pretty much my opinion too, some stuff should stay in China!

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#7 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:34 PM

Oldedeeres you just haven't spent hours trying to fix one of them to have it not run and shock you.

My temper doesnt flair much but I threw that bike out the garage door and then smashed it off the driveway. My buddy laughed at me when I told him what happened.
  • oldedeeres and Bill 76 have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,316 Thanks
  • 28,634 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Well, this kid looks happy as heck. Wonder if he didnt have room on there for the elbow pads too or if they aren't needed.image.jpg

#9 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:24 AM

I'm also of the opinion most are junk that is not worth messing with.  My son had one of the scooters, lasted 3 days, and never could find the parts to fix it.......  If he really wants a two wheeled project look for an older mini bike, just as exciting [read that dangerous now that I'm and ol 'fart] but easier to fix.

#10 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,497 Thanks
  • 4,952 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thanks guys. My son's friend was given this thing and he is clueless. Well, me too. You have greatly enlightened me, I ain't got time for it anyways! HAHA  

Edited by TAHOE, December 29, 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 11:24 AM

I've worked on a few of the Chinese clones. I agree with what others have said about their being junk but I get customers in that want them repaired so...   The worse thing about them is the wiring and the carburetor's.  I have found a pretty good parts source if your interested.

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:08 AM

Gosh guys, I'd hate to ask you about something you don't like,  lol. Pretty much my opinion too, some stuff should stay in China!

Don't even get me started !!  I'm supposed to be watching my blood pressure.... :mad2: I relly don't mind paying some more for a quality item, but when it arrives from Snap-on as a gift for my son and the made in China sticker is on the plastic wrap around the pliers set.... :mad2: 

• oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Don't even get me started !!  I'm supposed to be watching my blood pressure.... :mad2: I relly don't mind paying some more for a quality item, but when it arrives from Snap-on as a gift for my son and the made in China sticker is on the plastic wrap around the pliers set.... :mad2:

The only way you are going to get an american made tool is buy Wright Tools.  90% of the tools I own are Wrights.  Excellent tools and life time warranty.  They are excellent stuff.  My first job was at a shop that sold mining supplies.  They sold Wright Tools as their main tool.  Unless someone wanted cheaper stuff then they would sell China made tools.  I have been to their factory, and see the whole operation.  They gave us tours of the place.  Really cool, made right in Ohio.

A lot of the snap on stuff is made in the US.  Some of the things they sell are made by other people though, such as probably pliers, chisels, hammers, ect.

I keep making this post longer and longer..Argh.  People brag on craftsman tools.  Over the years many different people has made them, some US, some over seas.  Right now craftsman tools are being producted by Apex Tool Group from you guessed it China and South America.  My dad has sold tools for many years.  A big one he sold was truecraft.  Truecraft was china made, but actually good quality stuff.  He brought home a box of tools from work one day, and they were in truecraft containers with "Craftsman" stamped on the tools inside.  He called the people and they said they had confusion at the packing area and the wrong brands got put into the wrong boxes.  So there you go.  China made Craftsman sets.

Apex Tool Group is a U.S. based supplier of hand tools and power tools. It was formed as a joint venture of Cooper Industries and Danaher by the merger of Cooper Tools and Danaher's Tools and Components segment. In October 2012 Danaher and Cooper sold Apex to Bain Capital for about $1.6 billion.[1] Apex is headquartered in Sparks, Maryland, United States, but most of its production is located in China and South America.

Snap on Tool Factories

Elkmont, Alabama
Hand tools

Algona, Iowa
Tool storage units

Natick, Massachusetts
Pneumatic tools

Elizabethton, Tennessee
Hand tools

Johnson City, Tennessee
Hand tools

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hand tools

http://www.wrighttoo...ine_catalog.asp

Q:  Where are your tools made?
A:  All Wright tools are entirely manufactured in Barberton, Ohio, U.S.A. We use no foreign blanks and only U.S. steel. We also carry nationally known brands such as Mayhew, Vise Grip, and Channellock. 

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 30, 2013 - 11:27 AM.

• oldedeeres, TAHOE and Bill 76 have said thanks