5 replies to this topic

#1 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 728 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 06:09 PM

So today I started on the rebuild of the transaxle in my Ford 120.  2nd gear was nearly impossible to find and the hubs have some pretty bad wear from someone not keeping the set screws tight.  Unfortunately the loose hubs caused some issues on the axles as well but I'll get to that later.  Right now my issue is figuring out which model I have so I can order parts.  There is no tag anywhere that I can find, the only numbers I can find are stamped into the axle tubes and I believe those are just part numbers...

I figured at first that it was just an issue with the detent spring for 2nd gear and although that may have initially been the case there is also some severe gear wear that resulted from it.  So I certainly need parts.  A few seals, one bearing that I know of and of course, the gears.

Other than that it looked more or less ok, it had definitely been apart before as the case halves were siliconed together and it had some water in it at some point but overall I think it's mostly in good shape.

Here's a list of the possible models of the 2300 series and all of the ones I've looked at look just like mine so it's a tad bewildering and I don't know where to start.  Any help would be much appreciated!

http://www.odref.com...RIES/index.html

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 10,766 Thanks
  • 8,070 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:36 PM

Check with some of our sponsors, they have a wealth of knowledge and the parts manuals. Check the manuals section here too. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 728 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:39 PM

I've got several different manuals already, where I'm stuck is trying to figure out the exact model without having the tag or if I even need to know that? Perhaps most parts were the same between all models?

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,816 Thanks
  • 29,243 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:48 PM

With the exception of the one or two models in the JD's that were posi-trac, I believe the major differences were the input and brake shafts, etc. I do know on the two that have been apart in front of me, the seals and bearing setup in the tubes were different, but I assume you can just source those by size.

If I am giving any bad info, please someone jump in.

As for parts availability, I would start with the supporters as well... Possibly have a whole unit they would sell.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben

Con Man

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,665 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:28 PM

I've got my big fat Peerless/Tecumseh manual.  Do you have a page that gives you the multitude of places a s/n could hide?

Ben W.

#6 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 728 Thanks
  • 560 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Haven't seen that page yet Ben