5 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:00 PM

I mentioned in anther thread that with the 20 below weather last weekend even though I had power SERVICE in the fuel it gelled in the fuel filter. I had changed thec filter Christmas day and still no fire.
I ad to wok the past two days so never got around to bleeding the pump and lines until this morning.
Took about an hour, but now that I know what I am doing I think I could do it in about 15 minutes.
In all the years I have owned diesels this iis the first time I have had fuel gel. But we have already had more below 0 temps than we had last year.
I am cleaning out the garage and moving the ford in there this afternoon. That way it will be closer to power if I need that to work on it in the future. Tractor shed has no power yet and I have to run drop cords? The biggest issue with it in the garage is I have tot move the wife and daughters cars to push snow.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 28, 2013 - 03:04 PM.

• olcowhand, Alc, hamman and 3 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 04:28 PM

Glad to hear it is running again. Hope it doesn't give you anymore problems. Roger.

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 04:56 PM

Good to hear you got it sorted out. The Yanmar in my 2320 has been fussy when it's cold lately. I think it could be that I didn't use much fuel in it this summer and still have some summer fuel in it. I got fresh fuel, treated it and topped it up and it seems a bit better but it hasn't been that cold. i'm wondering if I have a bad glow plug or maybe the battery is getting weak. it's a 2008 tractor but was probably assembled late in 2007. It has always started but it struggles to build RPMs for the first 10 seconds or so. New fuel filter a couple of weeks ago. I will need to look into this more thoroughly in the spring assuming that I can get through the winter with it like it is. A heated space to work would be great but I may never have that luxury. 

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 06:32 PM

One thing have learned is someone has taken the original sediment bowl fuel filter off and installed an inline filter.
This is a problem because there was an air bleeder on the sediment bowl. So I had to take the line off the pump and make sure there was fuel that far. Then put the line on and open the bleeder on the pump. Then I had to bleed any air out of the lines at the injectors.
It started ran for about a minute then died(may not have got all the air?) I started it again and let it run while I went back and made sure everything was tight. Then I spent several hours cleaning up remnants of the last snow storm. Hauling stuff from the garage to the shed and compost pile . Its in the garage now where I have electricity.
I will be looking for a sediment bowl filter system just the same.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:59 AM

IThe biggest issue with it in the garage is I have tot move the wife and daughters cars to push snow.

Are they parked in front of the door, outside like the rest of us so the tractors can be inside? (Evil grin)

J/k, glad you got it going.
  • JD DANNELS said thank you

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 01:25 PM

Are they parked in front of the door, outside like the rest of us so the tractors can be inside? (Evil grin)
J/k, glad you got it going.

But of course!! It is also mostly their fault since they seem to think anything they do not want in the house should be stored in my garage??