#1 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52007
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:36 AM

Hi guys

Just wanted to introduce myself.  Bought a 66 chief 1000,36 snow auger ,and 42 aluminum deck. My neighbor(wheel horse guy) and I are trying to set up the transmission. The drive flywheel on the (reverser gear?) keeps spinning when stopped or in nuetral,making it very hard move into or out of a gear.I have a 69 manual here.  I see a 67 manual on this forum but I will download tomorrow because I have reached my limit for today(2). The 69 manual looks similiar to set the "A" and "B" dimensions,we will try that first. Thanks much

Mike C

Genoa,IL

• hamman and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,523 Thanks
  • 39,742 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:49 AM

:wave: Welcome, Mike. Hope you find what you need. Hopefully one of the Chief owners knows what the issue is and can help!

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:26 AM

:welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics:

• Mike125s said thank you

#4 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:48 AM

Hi mike and welcome!
  • Mike125s said thank you

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:10 AM

Welcome to GTT. We are all here to help each other so, relax and enjoy the site. When asking questions good pictures and an accurate description of the problem will help us figure out what you need. Good Luck, Rick

#6 chris m ONLINE  

chris m

Tractorholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8148
  • 3,277 Thanks
  • 4,033 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Welcome to GTt Mike!! Glad you decided to join us!

That pulley never stops spinning, these are not like the old Chiefs where the input pulley has to be stopped to shift,

all that has to stop is the shaft with the brake on it, On the opposite side of the trans.

If you are having issues shifting it could be an issue with the shifter itself or maybe the spring and check ball detents are sticking causing the shifter to not want to move out of (or into ) gear?

If you haven't already I would pull the shifter out and see how it looks, I have seen them bent.And there is a roll pin on the shifter that likes to snap off on one side, causing problems like you are having. You can get a look at the shift forks and rods to see if they are binding.

Just take the shifter off in Neutral so it makes it easier to install after your done.

Also did you check or change the gear oil? These are known to get water in them if they sit outside for years uncovered, It runs right in through the shifter cup.

Good luck! This will at least get you started. I think you may get lucky and find that roll pin broken on the shifter?? Lets hope anyway!!

• MH81, IamSherwood and Mike125s have said thanks

#7 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:20 AM

Welcome aboard Mike, you're not too terribly far away from me, good to see another "local" on here :D I've got a 68 Ford 120 so very similar tractor and I'll give you a couple of preliminary things to check... 1: Make sure when the clutch is depressed that the belt is adequately loose (there should be specs in the manual on clutch adjustment). There should also be belt guides to keep the belt in an oval shape when the belt has slack in it as opposed to going back to a round shape which keeps slight pressure on the pulleys, thus keeping them rotating. 2: Make sure you have adequate oil and the proper viscosity in the transaxle. Too thin on the oil means there isn't enough resistance to stop the momentum of the rotating gears when you press the clutch in. It's not a perfect system as mine will do what yours does at times (namely once it's warmed up and the oil thins out a little) but not to the extent you described...they could really use a clutch brake like big trucks have but I haven't tried to engineer one...yet :D Edit: After reading Chris M's post maybe it is slightly different than mine but hopefully we're still on the right track!

Edited by Walkinman1, December 28, 2013 - 11:21 AM.

• MH81 and Mike125s have said thanks

#8 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 11:52 AM

Thanks guys .I did change the trans oil .Flushed with kerosene,then refilled.  I'll try to get the belt adjusted first then maybe take the shuft lever off.  How much slack should there be around the brake shoe when disengaged,I couldn't find mention in the 1969 chief manual I am using.  Thanks much

Mike

Genoa,il

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 12:41 PM

Does the engine have all the belt guides on it? Many of these belt clutch units need them to allow the clutching to work properly and also allow the belt to remain loose around the pulley.

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 01:53 PM

I don't think they specify where the brake band should be when it's slack, just at what point in the pedal travel it should be starting to grab. I can't remember what that is off the top of my head but as long it's starting to grab when you're a little over halfway down with the pedal I think you'll be ok. Alternatively, if you have it too tight you won't be able to depress the pedal all the way thus the clutch won't fully disengage.

#11 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:39 PM

Well I adjusted  the "a" and "b" adjustments to spec from a 1969 chief manual. I moved the engine forward about 1 inch.  Adjusted the brake to spec. Removed the shifter and checked the roll pin..I looked okay.  The transmission still spins when in nuetral and with the parking brake off and on. Pictures to follow. No change in the gear problem. Grinding when trying to engage gears. Doesn't come out of gear easily.   Thanks much

Attached Thumbnails

• photo(17).JPG
  • photo(18).JPG
  • photo(19).JPG
  • photo(20).JPG
  • photo(21).JPG
  • photo(22).JPG
  • photo(23).JPG
  • photo(24).JPG
  • photo(25).JPG
  • photo(26).JPG
  • photo(27).JPG
  • photo(28).JPG

• MH81, hamman and MadAtGrass have said thanks

#12 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:40 PM

I think the belt guides are all on.  Thanks

Mike

#13 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 05:32 PM

I used 80w/90 mystik gear oil from farm and fleet btw

Mike

#14 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 05:58 PM

That's the oil it calls for so you should be fine there.  I can't tell for sure from the photos but it looks like the belt guide that sits behind the PTO pulley may be missing, That might be part of your problem if so.  

When you mash the clutch pedal all the way down with the engine running, does it stop the brake drum but the input pulley keeps turning?  Unfortunately mine is all torn apart (a thread will be up on that shortly) so I can't check to see what mine does... 

#15 Mike125s OFFLINE  

Mike125s
  • Contributor
  • 43 Thanks
  • 117 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:24 PM

I will check on the guide behind the PTO pulley' THX

Mike