• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DetroitSquire12 OFFLINE  

DetroitSquire12
  • Member No: 51980
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 12:52 PM

This is my grandpas old tractor. I want to get it running. The hydraulics don't work anymore just. Whining but the motor runs great. I have the snowblower n wanna get it goin. I am looking for the manual to fix the hydraulics..... so if anybody out there knows where to find one or has one please let me know
I attached the serial/model tag
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:02 PM

No you didn't!   Is this a County Squire made by Power King or Economy really?  Or is there another Squire I don't know of?  Maybe just an MTD?  Try post pix again.

#3 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:16 PM

A Squire 12 is a Gilson...should look like this:

sep06031.jpg

• boyscout862 said thank you

#4 DetroitSquire12 OFFLINE  

DetroitSquire12
  • Member No: 51980
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yes it does look like those.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:36 PM

Howdy and welcome :wave:

#6 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 03:39 PM

OK, guess I've seen those. Look like heavy units.  I've never favored Gilson stuff. Long ago while still at parent's home I bought what I thought was a great deal on a big Gilson tractor. It had some kinda variable speed drive lever on dash, move up/down to change speed. Didn't seem to work. Later after getting into it, found the little rubber drive wheel that rides on another flat metal wheel on axle that changes speeds. Was too expensive or unknown for me to work on as a kid. NOW later I think that was way too light of drive for that big tractor. I've seen same on Toro and other rear engine riders that often broke down. Use to see lots of them behind the shops, needing work. Guess no one wanted to pay for repairs then???  SO, if Gilson used that drive on other later models, would not care to own one. I have seen a big Gilson on here, looked a lot like MTD 990 or similar. Thought the company went out of business long ago, but maybe not as quick as I'm thinking?  Correct me if wrong, aren't they now gone?  

#7 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,801 Thanks
  • 2,200 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 04:58 PM

welcome to the site, good luck with your project.  Tom

#8 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,769 Thanks
  • 7,536 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 05:39 PM

Welcome to GTT. I'd suspect from the noise, that the pump is out of fluid. Check in our manuals section for your manual. You can do 3 free downloads per day.  Good Luck, Rick

#9 Sprint 6 OFFLINE  

Sprint 6
  • Member No: 30633
  • 164 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted January 04, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Those MW/Gilson tractors are tanks.  I have Variable Speed 16 models, one my Grandpa bought new and one I bought at an auction.  Both of mine a 1974 models.  I can't help with the hydraulics, neither of mine have it.   I will tell you the snow blower is awesome for being a single stage, it will take the snow in second gear and throw it 30 feet plus.   They are not easy machines to get parts for, most things will have to be found used or made.  Gilson was bought by Lawn Boy and is part of Toro now.  I agree that the Variable speed was a pile, it was not really needed anyway.  I have both of mine converted to a regular pulley, but each tractor has a different pulley for different speeds.  I can use one tractor for faster things like plowing and mowing, the other tractor for creeper operations such as tilling.  A Squire 12 may not have Variable Speed, the earlier ones did not.