Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

We Hit 95 Inches Of Snow Today , New Cutting Edge Project.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7818
  • 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 08:30 PM

It's Official !!

We hit 95 inches of snow in Gaylord today . The snow banks are looking more like Feb. or March and my little blades on my garden tractors are pretty much done. The mini loader and the jd 455 diesel with the 47 in. 2 stage blower will have to take over. I shoveled off the back shed roof and the cutting edge bent . So I headed to the workshop to build a new one. Tomorrow I will tackle the shop roof .

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaroof6.jpg

• hamman, cookiemonster, backwoods and 3 others have said thanks

#2 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,545 Thanks
  • 3,930 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 09:29 PM

WOW!   We thought we had more snow than normal so far. But nothing like that. That will make some serious piles.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Maybe you should clear the roof off more often? 95 inches of snow will bend stuff.

#4 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 12:06 AM

My, oh my!!!!   Not my idea of fun!! 

#5 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 05:19 AM

Glad I live down south in Missouri.  We barely had 20 inches total last year...that was enough for me!

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 06:26 AM

WAYYYY TOO MUCH SNOW FOR ME  !!!!!   Keeping it all clear just on your own proptery must be a full time job !!

Edited by Alc, December 27, 2013 - 06:27 AM.

#7 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 07:21 AM

I love visiting the snowbelt up your way Don...it's really another world!  It does become work when a guy has to clear his drive twice a day, to keep things managemeable.

I think they said GR broke 35 inches, but I'll bet over here closer to the lake we're nearing 50" this year...enough to play in, without being a hindrance.  What we do have is like concrete though, after last week's ice storm, and moving it has become a wrestling match.  They say we'll have a thaw tomorrow, then back into the teens for daytime highs again next week.  A December to remember (or forget), that's for sure.  The bummer about living under the shadow of Lake Effect snows, is the lack of sunshine...we've had 10% of possible sunshine this month.

#8 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 08:12 AM

im about 20 miles SW(as the crow flies) of ya Don. and its been a helluva December. ive got more seat time this month than i have in the past 3 years. we just moved up in April and what a difference. but id rather play in the snow than cut grass.

without the blower i would be boned. our driveway is about 75' long. but i remove the snow 30' wide for that 75'. we have almost 48" of dense, packed snow in the front yard. another foot and i wont be able to see the mailbox from the dining room window.

even though i have to hit the snow at least every other day....i wouldnt want it any other way.

now if i could just get these snowmobiles to run consistently, i could enjoy the snow a bit more.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 08:46 AM

Our snow rarely melts and stays til spring , Once it warms up and freezes those banks get real tough to move. Sun is rare for us too as Gaylord is the highest elevation in lower michigan. It has snowed 18 days outof the last 21 days here. So far I been piling the snow with the mini loader in my front and back yard . But the little jd 455 with the 47in. blower is going to have to take over if it doesn't slow down , ha,ha. I'll share a couple pics later today of the piles.

• Alc and Talntedmrgreen have said thanks

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 08:54 AM

I'm a little jealous Don, moving snow is one of my favorite ways to get seat time plus I just love snow. Sadly, we generally don't get enough of the white gold here where I am.
  • bgkid2966 said thank you

#11 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:58 AM

I'll share a couple pics later today of the piles.

Now we're talkin!

#12 Don Campbell OFFLINE  

Don Campbell

Tractorholic

• 1,373 Thanks
  • 1,092 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Here is a picture of me today inside the bucket I made for my mini loader three years ago. It used to be a rear blade I made and never used so i converted it to a front bucket for snow. It works great !!  Here is the pile in my front yard and my backyard. The rest of the yard is not bad .

Attached Thumbnails

• aaaroof8.jpg
  • aaaroof9.jpg
  • aaaroof11.jpg

• Alc and cookiemonster have said thanks

#13 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 04:37 AM

Not sure what our total for the season is so far but Ive got 95"s in some spots, the wind is more of a problem here than the amount of snow, and of course it likes to drift across the front of the shop. We were snow bound for a couple days last month, and by the sounds of the wind tonight I expect a full day of snow removal again tomorrow.

here's a pic from a couple weeks ago after making a path into the shop....

Attached Thumbnails

• 010 (2).JPG

• Alc and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#14 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:25 AM

Been hearing about the upper midwest snows.  Still waiting for the annual big-one in PA.  But we get melt-downs during the winter so it's usually not a big deal.  We'll get a 2 foot storm, the grocery stores will sell out of eggs and toilet paper, then we dig out and it melts. Repeat next year.

#15 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 01:14 PM

here's a pic from a couple weeks ago after making a path into the shop....

Remaniscent of my snowmobiling trips to the UP! They have trouble there with the sledders driving sleds on the roofs of homes...we happened upon a scene once where the DNR was supervising the removal of a snowmobile from a hunting cabin...it had fallen through the roof. In Paradise, MI they have nowhere to go with all the snow, and dump it off the bluffs onto the ice of Lake Superior. I get a kick out of extreme snows....Id love to go out west and ride the mountains.