#17 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 09:41 PM

it's a pretty easy job to inspect the transmission internals.  Remove the seat, fender, and tool box.  Then the top cover of the transmission comes right off by removing several bolts and lifting it up and off.  As mentioned, it may be something very easy to fix - roll pin sheared in shifter, shifter or shifter gear broken, etc.  Maybe drain the gear oil and remove the bottom cover to see what pieces/parts settled to the bottom.  After assessing the damage, then make the decision about repairing or replacing with a used transaxle.  Good luck.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#18 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • Member No: 51959
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 10:30 PM

Thanks I will do that first. Does the cab and blower significantly raise value. Trying to figure out value. Not that I'm an even - bay flipper. I like this because it is cool. But my rule for vintage stuff sleds, wheelers etc... is that once I get them back to a certain level I wanna be able to break even if I ever have to sell.

#19 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 12:19 AM

Nice find and hope you get it running well. Snowblower for tubeframes seem to be a common item. Cabs are a little harder to find. But, that's over here on the east coast. Wheel weights you can find easily. Chains are common, too.

If you can snag it for $200 (in my opinion) you'll do okay with adding cost for another trans.

As for getting back your money IF you sell it after fixing it, that'll depend on time, current market demands, etc. Some guys don't consider what use they got out of it and feel they should get top dollar for something that they can't say will last another 50 hrs. of run time. Best to just enjoy it while you have it.

Best way to say it is "Use the tools, not the people."

Good luck.

#20 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 30153
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:44 AM

$200 would be a steal in my opinion just for the cab and the snowblower. I know it varies depending on location but the cab alone should be worth $200 by itself, and as time goes on it will only gain in value. I don't wanna get into "what it's worth" because that is personal opinion, but I would personally pay more than that because of the cab and snowblower. The G14 was produced from '72 to '78, so there are plenty of them out there sitting in fields with bad motors and good transaxles. The 1254 I believe has the same transaxle. It seems like you should be able to find one with a little searching and patience. Good luck, hope to see pictures of it after you pick her up.

#21 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:52 AM

$200 would be a steal in my opinion just for the cab and the snowblower. I know it varies depending on location but the cab alone should be worth $200 by itself, and as time goes on it will only gain in value. I don't wanna get into "what it's worth" because that is personal opinion, but I would personally pay more than that because of the cab and snowblower. The G14 was produced from '72 to '78, so there are plenty of them out there sitting in fields with bad motors and good transaxles. The 1254 I believe has the same transaxle. It seems like you should be able to find one with a little searching and patience. Good luck, hope to see pictures of it after you pick her up.

To late you aready did.

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#22 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:04 AM

To late you aready did.

My bad

#23 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:07 AM

The G14 was produced from '72 to '78, so there are plenty of them out there sitting in fields with bad motors and good transaxles. The 1254 I believe has the same transaxle.

G14 was made 1973-1978

Any 6 speed transmission will adapt

#24 Oregon_Bolens OFFLINE  

Oregon_Bolens
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 148 Thanks
  • 171 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:14 AM

G14 was made 1973-1978

Any 6 speed transmission will adapt

Sorry, 1254 was produced in '72. Regardless, many of them out there.

I'm gonna go crawl back into my hole now. :deadhorse:

#25 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:15 AM

Sorry, 1254 was produced in '72. Regardless, many of them out there.

I'm gonna go crawl back into my hole now. :deadhorse:

Thats ok :D

Just trying to keep stuff as accurate as possible

• Oregon_Bolens said thank you

#26 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:49 PM

Like I said not looking to flip it for quick profit it has this coolness factor I just can't resist I should be in it right and got a lead on a couple parts machines picking it up 10/28 at 10 am I will gets good pics. My 16 yr old daughter already asked if she could drive it. lol now I know it's cool!
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#27 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:53 PM

How well do they push a blade? What is correct motor? Anybody run these in parades I live in small town and sometimes you see the vintage ones pulling small floats.

#28 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,670 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:14 AM

How well do they push a blade? What is correct motor? Anybody run these in parades I live in small town and sometimes you see the vintage ones pulling small floats.

The G14 Should have a Tecumseh HH140 (14HP) Engine

There are some people that take these to shows/Parades

They are built like mini tanks and will push/pull just about anything you would want them to do (Just don't try moving a house with them :D)

#29 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:23 PM

Got it home and got it started after tearing apart starter had a brush that was hanging up. Engine runs great. Got it to shift through Al gears put it back together to load it back on trailer at buddies house with heated shop and couldn't get it in neutral I'm sure with more fiddling I will get it working correctly. This thing is cool and should be nice moving snow under shelter of cab. Snowblower works. Wow mower deck is heavy duty. Wind was blowing 40 plus snowing, basically have blizzard going on and forgot where I left deck well remembered on way home. I dragged it underneath trailer for 6 blocks. God what a bone head move! But to my surprise no visible damage.
After I got it load after purchase the guy handed me original owners manuals for tractor and blower along with the dealer prep instructions!

#30 metrodoggreg OFFLINE  

metrodoggreg
  • 67 Thanks
  • 89 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:29 PM

Some pics of info more pic's of tractor tomorrow to cold now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20131228_180850.jpg
  • 20131228_180836.jpg