15 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmeh OFFLINE  

Jimmeh
  • Member No: 51946
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:20 PM

I seek guidance in my build.

I have a good start, i van get the power to a driveshaft, build whatever i need.... but i am lacking in rear diferential options.. never built one of these before

waukesha craftsman 2

waukesha craftsman 1

waukesha craftsman 11

• Alc, hamman, tractorgarden and 3 others have said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hi Jimmeh, Welcome to GTtalk.  One of the members will be along before long who can help you.

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:47 PM

Welcome to the forum!  Never have done many modifications, but I'm sure someone here has. 

How old is that Waukesha?  I see it has a Fairbanks on there, it has to be older.

Ben W.

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to GTT. What is wrong with the differential that is in it?

I have a homemade tractor with an ICK for the power. My FIL built it 50 years ago. It and the two spare engines are siezed. These engines go back to before WWII. They were even used on some bombers.

Where are you getting parts for the engines? A large frame Bolens could handle the power better. Good Luck, Rick

#5 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 07:44 PM

MMMM! ?  Think your NUTS!    Would need a bigger tractor chassis than that for me to start building it. Might look into a bigger Power/King or ??  OR, make  your own frame and find bigger parts to go with.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Jimmeh, :welcome: to GTTalk.

You have a real challenge ahead of you. The unit you have was belt drive from a vertical engine and you are trying to power from a horizontal via shaft. You might be better off using a belt drive and idlers to transfer the power and give you a way to clutch.

The end result of the work will be a unique transport device. Te rear end won't hold up to a ton of abuse, but when it goes, maybe by then you will have found a heavier GT to transplant the engine in.
  • Dicky said thank you

#7 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 01:20 AM

Hello there and welcome! :wave:

#8 Jimmeh OFFLINE  

Jimmeh
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 09:42 AM

Wow great responses! I can see so much knowledge here to gain!

It is a 1943 waukesha and I get parts from a waukesha/pierce employee friend of mine. Up to and including rebuild kits.

Large frame? I thought this to be a pretty beefy little frame...

One of my thoughts was to rotate the 6 speed axle currently equipped 90º and run a drive shaft... it has a clutch and a gearbox already..

#9 Jimmeh OFFLINE  

Jimmeh
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 09:44 AM

Building a drive shaft is cake.... or even new input and output shafts....hmmmm coffee first

Back in a few.

#10 Jimmeh OFFLINE  

Jimmeh
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:05 AM

okay, ive got my coffee now and I think I should probably offer more info..

This is a project i started one day cleaning out my garage using my old lawn tractor a 1943 waukesha ICK 4 cylinder gasoline engine and 1:1 gearbox and clutch that came with it. this was a find! this was used as a "pony motor" to start a much bigger V12 natural gas waukesha engine at a pumping station... so to be clear this is a giant starter.. they went to pnumatic starters and i got the old spare rebuilt motor free "the rebuilt spare motor had sat on the shelf close to 40 years" it was in rough condition when i got it.

I have it on good authority it was un touched since 1973.
  • MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:18 AM

I'm afraid that chassis, unless all you plan to do is sit & show it....it just won't hardly stand the weight of the engine sitting, much less running/using it.  The steering system in this GT will never hold up with that kind of weight on top.   As said, better to find a heavier chassis before going further.  Kind of like eating, ya have to keep an eye on how much you bite off or you might end up with a sick stomach.  I'm not trying to be a downer on the project at all, as I like these kinds of projects, and will be following it.

#12 Jimmeh OFFLINE  

Jimmeh
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 12:25 PM

Plan on using it to move my trailers around the yard... maybe make it go fast....

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Take a look at the Panzer diff.  You'd have to buy a rusty torn-apart one just to get the rear diff being a narrowed plymouth rear end.  You'd also have to gear it down.  The panzers use a #50 chain and sprockets to gear down 6 to 1.  Gearing it down to the right number would be the tricky part.  How many RPM does that engine turn?  If it's 3600, then your entire drivetrain needs to gear down about 9 to 1 before it gets to the differential to go at tractor speed.

Just for reference... 1 to 1 would be a car in high gear.  I'm using a power king tranny to gear down to my panzer.  All custom fab stuff, but a power king tranny is rated up to 50hp as well.

• MH81 and Jimmeh have said thanks

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,516 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 06:47 PM

My FIL got a bunch of these engines when the company he worked for converted their big Waukeshas to air start in the 60s. He also got a bunch of nos parts for rebuilding the engines. My bil let the weather have them. Such a waste.

Can your friend supply an address for ordering parts?

The more I look at what you are trying to do, the less I think that it will work. Its kind of like putting a good american v8 in a Yugo. It may run for a little while but, shortly the rest of the vehicle will fall apart around it. Look for an older large garden tractor that can handle the weight and horse power. That way you are not wasting your valuable time. Someone here stretched a large frame Bolens. The chasis can handle the weight and the transaxle is rated for 35 hp. I have 70+ little tractors and my large frame Bolens are my favorites. They are bigger than most GTs. Look in our gallery for pics of the various types. Good Luck, Rick

#15 Jimmeh OFFLINE  

Jimmeh
  • 10 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 07:10 AM

ive taken time and thought through this.

im going to run this til it dies then get the heavy tractor. i cant find one around here to save my life.

i got the clutch and gear box mouted on the engine and the rear axle from the craftsman flipped so the input shaft is facing the output shaft of the gear box.

one drive shaft and some linkage away from comical mechanical mahem.

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks