• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • Member No: 28054
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:18 PM

the other day I thought of how nice it would be to have a small dozer to do light work around the house. I di some research and found turning garden tractors into dozers is pretty popular. I have a tractor in mind that I would like to convert to a dozer but was wondering if someone with experience with this idea could give me some input. I know this will be extremely challenging, but im up for it! I have a few questions and would also greatly appreciate any advice about this. First, what transmission would be preferred, hydrostatic or gear? also, I know hydraulic lift would be nice to have but the tractor I have in mind is manual lift, is this good enough if the blade is light and close to the tractor or should I install a hydraulic lift and how hard would that be? the tractor has creeper gear, could I leave that on or would it be in the way of something, or would it even be needed? also, how would I make it steer? and, what brand of tractor would be the best, Im looking at a cub cadet 1200 but before I purchase it I would like opinions. I cant do this alone and every bit of help is great. and the big question is, do I have to make every part to convert it or can I buy most of these parts from different machines and make them fit? I have Ideas of how I want to do this but I have never done something like this and need you guys to help if im going to go through with this. Thank You!!

• hamman, boyscout862 and JRJ have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yep! That IS crazy!  Look in the Power King forum here for good pix and couple links. There was once a kit for Cub Cadet by same company and think the link is on there with a picture. Would think tractor would need TWO brakes for sure, that is  how most are turned. Hydro would be best, no clutch to fiddle with. Best would be a pump and two separate hydro motors like a Skidsteer, but kinda hard to adapt a rig for that w/out just making from scratch at start, I would think. Not sure why people want these tracksters, just would tear up the yard, be hard to handle, and problems to solve the issues. Wouldn't think it would work any better than a good bigger size garden tractor with say Duals and a blade?

• JRJ and Matt O have said thanks

#3 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 05:28 PM

Have you seen this thread ?

• Matt O said thank you

#4 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 06:01 PM

I just read an article on making a cub cadet dozer. someone said the rearend has a differential and wouldn't allow for the tractor to steer like I would need it to. Do all older cub cadets have that style transmission? and what is the best way to make it steer, internal brakes or disk brakes? Thanks

#5 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'm working on the same thing using a ford lgt165 open side chassis, repowered with a Princess auto Honda clone engine.

I did a lot of thinking on this and decided on the hydro over the gear drive.

I'm using steering brakes on the drive sprockets, with an open differential.

I won't have perfect zero turn steering, but it will work. I'm in the steel gathering part of it now.

If you want true zero turn steering then a dual hydro setup or a very expensive transmission setup is required. And yes the struck belt system will work too, but after collecting all the parts and materials, the price would be just as high.

The ford/Jacobsen hydro setup is capable of handling an extra cylinder or two, if I include an extra reservoir to handle the oil demand.

Edited by Chopperhed, December 26, 2013 - 07:27 PM.

• IamSherwood and Matt O have said thanks

#6 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 09:53 PM

Matt, I put hydraulic lift on my 212 deere using a trim tilt set up off of a boat. It is a self contained unit, all I had to do was mount it under the hood and run the lines to my cylinder then hook up the 12 volt power to a momentary toggle switch and done. I will try to get some pics of the set up i used and get them on here in a few days.
  • Matt O said thank you

#7 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 07:53 PM

How difficult is it to put hydraulic lift on a cub cadet. I have found good deals on Cub Cadets with hydrostatic transmissions but they all have manual lift. Im hoping to make the blade look like a true bull dozer blade, so hydraulic lift would be nice to have!

#8 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 09:06 PM

How difficult is it to put hydraulic lift on a cub cadet. I have found good deals on Cub Cadets with hydrostatic transmissions but they all have manual lift. Im hoping to make the blade look like a true bull dozer blade, so hydraulic lift would be nice to have!

I'm not experienced with the cub hydro setup. Another expert will have to chime in. If its anything like an Eaton 10, it's only a matter of having the tubing made up.
  • Matt O said thank you

#9 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,560 Thanks
  • 3,941 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:02 PM

This is something I would like try sometime. Build or find one already built. It sounds like a fun project for you.

• Matt O said thank you

#10 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Matt, here are the pics of the pump i used. I added an extra little bit of expansion room on the top of one pump IMG_20131228_191852.jpg IMG_20131228_191913.jpg
  • sacsr and Matt O have said thanks

#11 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 06:29 PM

The idea got CRAZZIER!!  I decided to try putting a set of high tracks on the cub cadet. I haven't seen it done before but am looking for a challenge and now I got one! I have it pretty well figured out but will take a long time to build. The operators station will be lowered and the fender tops will be raised. The seat configuration will be changed and I am making a custom tubular back rest. I know what I want it to look like but will definitely challenge me. I am even going to put a power steering piston on the plow so I has hydraulic turning as well as lift. What do you guys think of this, I need opinions!

#12 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:00 PM

I've been wanting to do this for quite some time. But, too many other projects already. This is one I will follow. I hope it turns out like the picture in the other post.

http://gardentractor...-on-craigslist/

Good luck.

• Matt O said thank you

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:08 PM

I think that a hydrostatic tractor would likely be best and most efficient for the constant back and forth. I am not sure what the exact specs are of that cub, but one that already has external steer brakes would probably be easier. The transaxle in the cubs are rock solid, and would be able to stand up to the abuse of tracks.

If I where you, I would build two! Build one and keep it pretty simple, and put the necessities on it. Then once it is done, use it some and find the bugs, as with anything custom, there will always be things you wish you had done differently. Then sell the first one, and use the money to build a second. The second one you build would be the high track, hydraulic lift, custom seat, and anything else you want to change about it.

No matter what you do, this is a build I want to follow!
  • Matt O said thank you

#14 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:44 PM

I would love to build a few and have them all different styles, but I am having no luck finding ONE tractor with the right setup in my price range, overall condition doesn't matter to me but around here the prices are sky high, even for JUNK!! But I like the way you think!

#15 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Here you go, just copy what was done here.  Your 1200 would be the same thing just newer.  This is without a doubt the nicest conversion I have ever seen.  Have not seen it in person but it looks VERY GOOD.

http://www.ihcubcade.../crawler100.htm

• Newpaws493 and Matt O have said thanks