106 replies to this topic

#91 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 01:42 PM

This winter has been hard on just about everyone.

We just suffered out 8" of snow, but thank the lord its melting away and the sun is shining!

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#92 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:34 PM

Today at work, we are still struggling to get caught up from the weather issues causing attendance problems and heavy production.The plan is to get caught up by Friday morning and be off Saturday. 

At lunch, I went home and threw the hood to the Craftsman in the truck and stopped at the car wash. I sprayed it off so i can glue the broke pieces back tomorrow. Also, i sprayed off the tool box i bought. 

When i got home, Austin helped me take off the old tool crappy plastic box and set the Weatherguard box in place. I swapped over the bare essentials to the new box like battery cables, jack, lug wrench, gas can, a couple straps and a come a long. I really like the new (well new to me, i bought it off CL) box. Lots of deep storage and a neat little partition on the side for holding gloves and small stuff. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow. 

• trowel said thank you

#93 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted March 05, 2014 - 10:41 PM

18 below tonight, brrrrrrr.

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#94 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 08, 2014 - 11:23 PM

Today was a long day. Sort of.

The family car is on the fritz, so we set out to go car looking this morning. I forgot to take the nerve medication before leaving home (lol),

so after about an hour into the expedition i was already getting frustrated and rattled. Long story, so to try and keep it positive, let's move on.

As some of you know from my other posts, My lovely, overpriced, supposedly energy efficient (not), piece of crap, out of warranty, six year old Maytag Epic Z front loading washing machine is also on the fritz. I am trying to decide between buying a new, basic Speed Queen top loader or a used Whirlpool from Craigslist. I may make that decision tomorrow morning over pancakes and very strong black coffee.

Recently i did a barn clean out for a guy, and he gave me this wooden wheel that I am trying to figure out what it was used for. I beleive that it was used in either a mill of some kind or on a lathe in a blacksmith shop. If anyone has any good input please chime in.

IMG_20140219_181617_697_zps1d01373d.jpg

#95 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 10:58 AM

Oh man. Car dealers and frazzled nerves are not a good combination.

#96 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,727 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 01:21 PM

Those wood pulleys were used on a lot of different things. Line shafts and the driven equipment are common uses.

#97 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Buying a car is frustrating.

My tactic if I don't already know what I want to look at on the lot I tell the sales people I'll get you if I need you so I can look in peace...

#98 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 06:06 PM

Buying a car is frustrating.

My tactic if I don't already know what I want to look at on the lot I tell the sales people I'll get you if I need you so I can look in peace...

Mine is similar. WHen they ask if I need help I just say no and keep walking.

#99 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,296 Thanks
  • 28,626 posts

Posted March 09, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Today was a long day. Sort of.

I am trying to decide between buying a new, basic Speed Queen top loader or a used Whirlpool from Craigslist. I may make that decision tomorrow morning over pancakes and very strong black coffee.

I would go look at the used one. But only if you can do a test load. If not, I would be very suspect as to why.
Things to watch for:
Oil on the bottom or around the input shaft.
Slow spin speed pickup or weak spin (very common, sign of repetitive overloading. May be fixable with a spin clutch but not if damage extends into the tranny.
Do a short wash, when the unit pumps out, it should pump for a minute or so, THEN start spinning. If the pump and spin are nearly synchronous, it's a sign of a failing tranny.

Recently i did a barn clean out for a guy, and he gave me this wooden wheel that I am trying to figure out what it was used for. I beleive that it was used in either a mill of some kind or on a lathe in a blacksmith shop. If anyone has any good input please chime in.
IMG_20140219_181617_697_zps1d01373d.jpg

Looks very similar to ones on old wooden implements from horse treadmill era... But it could be from any of the tool and die shops with flat belt drive, belt driven grist mills (water wheel, steam power), anywhere that belt drive was the power transfer. Big things that will be asked when you list it will be width, OD, ID, and min/max of shaft hole.

#100 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:40 PM

This week has been pretty busy. So I was looking for a family car on CL a couple nights ago. I found an awesome deal on a Maxima and i made a deal with the guy over the phone. It was about an hour away. So, upon arriving at the destination, i was having issues finding the car. I call him a couple times, he finally answers and says "oh man, I am sorry, I just sold it". So, very frustrated and after telling the guy a few things about his manners, i look again on CL because i was in downtown, and i found another deal on A Ford Fusion. I make an agreement on the phone not to sell it, i was ten minutes away. So , i go there and buy the car for very, very good deal.

So, i get the car home and start messing with it. The car had been sitting for a bit so it ran rough etc. I decided it needed spark plugs, so i stopped at the parts store and buy some. To change the plugs on this car, you have to take off the top part of the intake to reach the back plugs. Seriously??? then the next day i stopped at the parts store to get a fuel filter for it. The guy says "it's not serviceable". After doing some more research, the filter is located inside the tank. Really??? I think that (not going to name particular brands here for obvious reasons), are,I dont even know the word. Do they do hard drugs, drink whiskey, take prescription meds and then sit down and design cars? I know they want the average owner to bring hte car to the stealerships to do the work but you would think that there is enough of a percent of people that would see right through this kind of nonsense. 

#101 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,080 posts

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Change the plugs on a triton....

They dont care how hard it is they just get paid more to fix it.

I had a honda prelude. The oil filter was in a place that you couldn't get it out without dumping oil all over you and your garage floor...

I can see a room full of designers going get this..imagine a stereo typical chinese opium den.

."I made the oil filter so when you uncfew it it dumps oil in their face!! Bwhahaha!!"

"You know how fuel filters are always right in the open? I PUT THIS ONE IN THE TANK! And told the parts department to make it dealer only and charge 200 bucks for it!!!" Bwhaha

"Once when I worked for ponitac we made this little car you have to almost pull the engine to change the plugs!" Bwhaha

Edited by toomanytoys84, March 13, 2014 - 07:24 PM.

#102 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,727 Thanks
  • 4,286 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:51 AM

Don't you guys realize that the car manufacturers have an annual contest for the person that designs the most screwed up thing? The person that wins is highly sought after by the other manufacturers.

#103 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:58 PM

Starting in 97 the Jeep Grand Cherokee also has the fuel filter integrated with the fuel pump assembly, that mounts inside the fuel tank.  My last 2 Jeeps were 97 & 98.  But, I can change one out in 45 minutes after all my "experience".  The 96 Grands had inline filter, but pump still in the tank.

• trowel said thank you

#104 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 07:19 PM

Try a VW on for size!!!  I love these little cars but they are a nightmare to work on.  You need to remove the intake just to change the spark plugs, I always buy the best and put new in when I buy them so they will last the lifetime of the car.  The wife calls me at work the other day to tell me the fuel pump in her car quit, YAAY!!!   $260 for the pump locally.  Rockauto had it for $80 go figure, not to bad to change just pull up the rear seats and there was a hatch to get rite at the top of the tank.  Those designers had it together that day.

• trowel said thank you

#105 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:16 PM

I will just keep my old Chevy. I can change the fuel filter in 5 minutes blindfolded and the spark plugs in about 30 most of that time is spent trying to get up and down on the lifted truck. .

• trowel said thank you