• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#46 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I have had a busy couple days. Sunday evening my son got married. I am wishing the best for him and Savannah. I think they will do well if they can get through the first few years and get established. Anyone reading this, please pray for them and their daughter, River.

Yesterday, i found out that my aunt Annette passed away from a heart attack. She was at home sitting at the dinner table and just slumped over. CPR was started immediately and they could not save her. She passed away right there. Life is too short guys to sweat the small stuff. Live each day the best you can and let folks know you care about them. And if your approaching retirement age, please have a will made.

On the way home, i get a call from a lady that has a Troybilt riding mower she is getting rid of with a blown motor. Luckily, already having the small trailer with me, I go straight to her house. I have to push it about a hundred feet with a flat tire and winch it onto the trailer and drive home. I get a quick bite to eat and drive over to my Uncle's house to visit with him and pay respects. I think they are in shock because it was so unexpected it has not even sank in with them yet. Annette was a colorful person that cared about people and she will be missed.

Today at work, i had an interview for a promotion. It was a little different process than i was used to but it was probably for the better. More professional and the way it should be. There will be another round of interviews next week so, more news to come.

Tonight, i moved the Murray to the back garage and put the Troybuilt in the front garage. Put the battery on charge and checked out the motor. It has a thrown rod.

There is a guy texting saying he wants the load of barn wood on the big trailer delivered to him Friday evening. I told him we will confirm everything Thursday evening. It is approximately an hour drive so we will have to check everything out before that happens. 

Wow. Lots of things happening this week. 

Edited by Sal Mcc, January 14, 2014 - 09:38 PM.

• KennyP and oldedeeres have said thanks

#47 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 14, 2014 - 10:59 PM

Sorry to hear of your loss.

#48 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 15, 2014 - 08:09 AM

Its always hard to lose a family member any time.  But its always worse when its completely 100% unexpected!

Good luck with the interviews.  I always hated interviews!  Just seems like they ask you stupid questions.  I had a job interview when I was 17 to work at a Tractor Supply.  And the manager sits me down, and he is like I have a different interview process based on certain questions to see how you would fit in here.

His first question is.  If you could be a vegetable, what vegetable would you be.  I asked him what that had to do with selling farm supplies.  He said it will help me decide where you can fit in.  Ok, um, Lettuce.  It went on I can't remember the other questions.  I didn't get the job probably because every time he asked me a question I cracked up and made some joke at his expense. 

When I got hired at the company I work for now 10 years ago, I put in a resume for the job.  I got asked 3 questions.  First, Do you show up for work?  Yes I rarely miss Second, How does this salary sound? Its fair Will you move to Dubois PA? Yes I need a job.  Ok, you are hired pending your physical which is tomorrow at 9:00AM.  They were desperate and no one would move...

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 15, 2014 - 08:10 AM.

• oldedeeres and Sal Mcc have said thanks

#49 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the kind words guys. Means a lot. I have learned a couple good lessons from this the last couple days. 

First - Do your best to stay healthy and take care of your body. You are only granted good health once.

Second - When reaching retirement age or older, make plans for your estate, will and so forth. When family members, have to guess how you want these kind of things handled (if you have passed), it's not fair to your family members.

• MH81, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#50 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 16, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Yesterday after work, did some odd jobs at home. Then, because the top load washer is still broken and we are waiting for the part, we had to make a trip to the laundry mat. Loads of fun. LOL. 

Today, i took off work. After hooking up the trailer and loading the Troybuilt, i went to Dad's place unloaded it and loaded an old parts Murray and some junk car seats, dash and a few small items back on the trailer. After going and unloading at the scrap yard, i drove home and parked the trailer.

Check engine light is still intermittently coming on the truck. YAY , for emission controls. 

I then changed clothes and went to my Aunt's funeral. Sad situation. after that, a few of us, stopped for dinner and then on way home, stopped at their house to check on things. I extended condolences and left my number with them. I did get to visit with a cousin that i was close to growing up. We did a little catching up. We agreed we need to meet under better circumstances. So, then we drove home.

At home, i returned a few calls and made arrangements with the guy that is supposed to buy the load of barn wood. The plan is to get it all ready on lunch break, pick up Austin at 3pm and meet the guy about 5 ish. Could be an interesting trip. Yee haw. 

• hamman, oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#51 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 07:30 AM

Good luck on the trip. Happy trails.
  • Sal Mcc said thank you

#52 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,873 Thanks
  • 3,199 posts

Posted January 17, 2014 - 04:44 PM

A will is the most important thing you can do for your loved ones. When my father died in his early fifties, no will, my baby sister was only eleven. Mom was left holding the bag for seven years, couldn't settle the estate because of an under age child, had to post support bonds, etc. etc. Maybe it's different in the States, but up here it was a nightmare.
  • toomanytoys84 and Sal Mcc have said thanks

#53 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 01:23 AM

I had an interesting day today. Got to work at 615, and found out we were probably working overtime. That was not in my plan, because i needed to leave about 3pm. At work, i found out the a young lower senior supervisor was getting a promotion (it was not the one i applied for). So i had to have a little fun with it. After checking my email, and seeing there is an email with her picture and brief description, i saved the picture on my pc and then saved as my desktop background on my pc. I took a picture of it with my phone and texted it to a couple of the boys at work with some "new hero" comments, Got some good laughs from it. Then of course i had to put my computer back the way it was in order to keep my job. LOL.

Left work at three to pick up Austin. We were supposed to be going to deliver the load of barn wood. There was a quagmeyer in communication about where we were supposed to meet. So, about 15 minutes later, We finally met up and headed to Franklin to unload the wood. When we arrive at the person's house, we were thinking WOW. A very nice home, in a very nice neighborhood. The story was the couple was kind of well to do, he is in Transportation and she is a tv producer (she was supposedly meeting with Garth Brooks people at the time and she was out of town). So while, she was gone out of town, this guy was going to cut this barn wood and put in the bonus room. I hope she likes it!. So, while i was talking to the guy, he must have had a photographic memory. He remembered the transportation manager at my work by name from several years ago. He said he is weird like that . Okay. Anyway, the guy had a beautiful all original 1970 Corvette in his garage. So, after unloading the wood, we strapped down some loose stuff on the trailer and headed North, As we were going through Nashville, a small car came up on the inside lane from us and cut right over in front of us. This is why i try not stay away from hauling the trailer through Nashville on friday afternoon. Too many crazy people for me. Bit we did make a safe trip the rest of the way back.

At home, ate some lasagna, and started checking out the new seal that arrived for the washer. After about one hour and a half of trying to install, the decision was made that some parts needed to be disassembled to get to the issue at hand. Now, five hours later, it is back together but it still doesn't seem to be exactly right. In a couple months, it maybe time for a new washer. No more Maytag. 

Tomorrow there is an auction to check out, and i may slip off and see if i can get a motor mounted on the White tractor.

Dad had an old Sears tractor that he let a family member borrow. The tractor was returned with a messed up rearend. This was a few years ago and the tractor got sent to the junk yard but Dad did save the engine from it. He thought  it was a 10 HP. But, then i was at his place and was looking around at some stuff and I found the hood. Guess what? The hood says "ST16".  So yes, i am checking into that motor tomorrow if i can get done there. The major issue is , the motor has a 1-1/8" shaft. The original motor was a 1" shaft. So, i will be conducting a fair amount of creative engineering for this little project. Yee haw, if that works. 

Edited by Sal Mcc, January 18, 2014 - 01:26 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#54 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 03:07 AM

Glad you got in and out of Nashville with everything intact.
As for the washer, might read thru this previous thread.

http://gardentractor...ne/#entry364587
  • Sal Mcc said thank you

#55 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 05:46 AM

... As we were going through Nashville, a small car came up on the inside lane from us and cut right over in front of us. This is why i try not stay away from hauling the trailer through Nashville on friday afternoon. Too many crazy people for me. ...

That's why I bought a dash cam for the motorhome not too long ago.

I've had two occasions where I really would have liked to have had one and decided that it was a priority item.  Both of those involved 18 wheelers, but there are a LOT of car drivers that do stupid tings when you are in a large vehicle.

I got this mirror mounted one: http://dashcamtalk.com/abeo-hdvr-150/

It's not the best there is, but it's good enough for me.

Here's a vid of me leaving a plow day back in Nov.

#56 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,765 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 11:38 AM

OB I have given some concideration to getting a camera system for the truck. If nothing else it would have some good footage on my driving through places a truck with a 30 foot trailer shouldn't go.

I have always hated driving through Nashville. I used to know my way around pretty well, but they have changed so much in the last 20 years it is a foreign land now.

#57 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 07:16 PM

OB - Thanks for the info on the dash cam . i may have to look into one of these.

MH81 - Thanks for the info on the washer. I may have to look at a a Speed Queen. I am so frustrated right now with this Maytag Epic Z washer. It did well for about four years. Now it is almost literally falling apart. I have replaced the pump, now the bellow seal, and now when it runs a cycle, it wont go into spin. I refuse to spend much more on it. I may have to manually make it go into spin cycle for a few weeks when the budget allows and it will be sold or go straight to the scrap yard. It will be replaced probably by a Speed Queen. I assume they are the only one left made in USA?

Not only is it frustrating because it is no longer dependable and expensive to maintain but because the bellow (front door seal) leaked and has messed up the hardwood floor in the house that i am now renting. It really stinks because it was such a nice floor. it has dark stains around the edges of the hardwood. I am trying some home remedies to remove the dark spots. No luck yet. If anyone has any ideas please send to me. 

IMG_20140118_181515_007_zps5c2ba41a.jpg

I apologize for that whole long rant but because i am now afraid to leave the house with the washer running, I have spent most of the say inside watching the Maytag Epic Z. I could go on and on about how ridiculous this is. Oh well, live and learn. If i end up and take it the scrap yard, I will be having some "fun" with it before it goes. Hmm. 

• MH81 said thank you

#58 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 08:12 PM

There are several washers that are made here, but SQ is an independent that has continued to care what people think of them.

They are rapidly winding down production of the toploaders that we are talking about. Gov't mandates will probably not let them finish the year making the old standby.

#59 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 09:18 PM

There are several washers that are made here, but SQ is an independent that has continued to care what people think of them.

They are rapidly winding down production of the toploaders that we are talking about. Gov't mandates will probably not let them finish the year making the old standby.

Thanks much for the information. Is there any certain models you recommend? Any information is appreciated.

#60 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted January 18, 2014 - 09:35 PM

The AWN412 and 432 seem to be very good. Very rarely we see a timer or even less often a tranny. We sell a bunch of them too. Last order was 90 pcs & we expect those to be gone around June.
  • Sal Mcc said thank you