• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#31 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 06, 2014 - 08:00 PM

I haven't got a lot done yesterday and today. It's so cold (like most of the country right now). It is 5 degrees with 12 mph wind and gusts of 18 mph. The high for tomorrow is 17. yay. The 55 for this Saturday will be a heat wave. Going out in the garage for few minutes to do some cleaning up. 

I am trying to find a buyer for the barn wood. Or make some furniture projects from it and sell. I would prefer to just sell the whole load out right. 

I was in a department meeting this morning and another management person mistakenly called out an employee for doing something wrong. The guy tried to explain what had happened. The management person kept being persistent and wouldn't drop it, right in front of the whole department. Really awkward situation. Afterwards, i was thinking, this same person always complains about employees not respecting them or their authority. Gee, I cant imagine why. Respect is earned, it's not automatic. 

On another note, i have applied for a promotion and I am now thinking about withdrawing my name for a few reasons. I am having a hard time convincing myself that the extra money would be worth the extra responsibility, stress and time constraints. (And i enjoy messing around with lawn equipment / tractors and that position would take away from that. With those couple thoughts, i think it's just a sign saying "don't do it". I am more or less waiting for the right opportunity to talk with the "man" about withdrawing my name.

The main thing for the next couple days is stay warm and don't let anything freeze up. YAY.

#32 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 07, 2014 - 10:19 PM

Up at 530am, and on the coffee, still about 0 degrees outside. I took off early today to go with Austin to get his marriage license. After paying a ridiculous fee and waiting on the world's slowest judge to sign the papers, we go home. 

About dinner time, i get a text from a guy asking about the load of barn wood. We agree for me to call him tomorrow afternoon.If it works according to plan, i will stop on the way get some more of the tin off the barn, then go deliver the wood.

I am continuing the clean up of the garage from the move. Wow.

Drinking some hot tea with honey now. it's something new. Not bad at all.

#33 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 04:10 PM

Today was kind of interesting. I got off work at 2pm. A first in 4 or 5 months. on lunch break, i went and checked on the barn project. the other crew is not working on demolishing the house and other building today. I think its still too cold for them. It is actually 36 degrees today. Heat wave. While there, i did get more of the wood. 

I am waiting now for a guy that says he wants to buy some of the barn wood. i am going to work on the garage organizing project and some other stuff.

The front load washing machine that i bought a few years ago is giving problems. First it was the pump went bad. Now the seal around the door is leaking water onto the hardwood floor. Appliances must be built like mowers now days. Three or four years and its junk. 

Edited by Sal Mcc, January 08, 2014 - 04:17 PM.

• KennyP, WNYTractorTinkerer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#34 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 06:19 PM

IT was a blistering 43 degrees here. I was sweating.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#35 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Re leak. Check for a hair on the glass or on the feather edge of the seal.
  • oldedeeres and Sal Mcc have said thanks

#36 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 08, 2014 - 09:50 PM

It was 24 here today. I left some stuff in the truck when I went in my room and I had already changed into my shorts for relaxing. Went outside and thought heck its warm out here...
  • oldedeeres said thank you

#37 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:35 PM

Re leak. Check for a hair on the glass or on the feather edge of the seal.

Yea, its the seal. Somehow it has gotten a torn place in it. maybe from a jeans button or something. I am considering going back to a top loader. 

#38 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 05:52 PM

Today, i went to work and got off a little early again. That is three days in a row. First time since last May.

I had planned to help work on getting some more tin off the barn today but just about the time, i was getting off work, it started sleeting. We have had a few days of subfreezing temps, it was finally warming up to 36 degrees today but now it is sleeting and raining. Not complaining though, We have not had any flooding (to speak of), hurricanes, tornadoes, tsunamis, volcanoes, or other major weather events, so hey we are good.

I was talking to a buddy today and he had an idea for lifting the front of mowers up with a chain hoist or such to remove blades, change drive belts etc. Why have i not already been working on this? I do have a motorcycle type lift, something like this :

e16d581d-104c-4cd3-bae0-bad657fd3108_zps

So that is the plan tonight, to go start designing, planning, white boarding the rough draft. In other words, go find a beam i can tie off to and use the come along. HAHAHA. And then some more organizing on the garage. 

I have been checking out the Case GT's. Interesting...

#39 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:20 PM

product_8807_500.jpg

They make them already. 199 bucks

Edited by toomanytoys84, January 09, 2014 - 06:22 PM.

#40 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted January 09, 2014 - 06:39 PM

I have an old Hoyer lift that I use for those quick under tractor jobs. It was originally made for lifting disabled patients and is rated for about 800 pounds.

C-HLA-1.jpg

• KennyP said thank you

#41 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 08:32 PM

Last evening, i made the new mower lift. It will be called "The Big Country". The guy that gave me the idea, his nick name is Big Country. I wanted to try this because it takes up less room and maybe a minute quicker. I will get a picture of it on here in a few days when i move it to the back garage where it will actually be used. I also tried the home made mixture of acetone and transmission fluid. i like that stuff.

Today at work, i was asked to go to an interview next week for a promotion. I am kind if torn on what to do. I was wanting it at one point, but i have a few concerns if i take it, will it take up all my time, and things are changing there and I have few concerns with how things will be down the road. I will know more by this time next week.

When i got home today, i cleaned out the back of the truck and washed it. It has been cleaned up since last summer. LOL. Then i proceeded to plug a tire that had a nail. After three plug attempts (the hole was too small to get the plug into), problem fixed. YEE HAW.

Tomorrow the plan is get up 6 ish, drink a whole bunch of coffee, maybe have some pancakes, then a buddy from work, my son and I are supposed to go make side money loading a U haul for another co-worker that is moving. He said we would be done about 11. We will see hos that goes. Then it is off to Dad's to see if one of his extra motors will go on the White tractor. Gotta think up a name for that thing. We will see. No telling what else we will get into there.  :firejumper:

#42 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,775 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 08:55 PM

Toss me a pancake.

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#43 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 09:11 PM

I am torn every day if I made the right decision on my promotion. It's not too late for me to change my mind after a year has passed. I'll probably go home and take a small cut in pay
  • oldedeeres and Sal Mcc have said thanks

#44 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 10, 2014 - 10:31 PM

I am torn every day if I made the right decision on my promotion. It's not too late for me to change my mind after a year has passed. I'll probably go home and take a small cut in pay

I cant say I blame you at all.

There is an interview process that i will have to go through to get the job. I am very confident that I am the best person for the job. I have a lot of thoughts about it. I think i will keep them to myself at least for now. I think for tomorrow i am going try and not even think about it. Maybe Sunday, i will sit down and out together some info for the interview. 

#45 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 11, 2014 - 10:34 PM

Today, i had a semi long but good day. Got up at 7am, and got a super hot shower so i can breath easier because of the cold weather and dry air due to the gas heat.

At 730 am, a buddy from work came by and picked up Austin and I. We drove to a coworkers house nick named "Shimmy". He is moving and we worked from 8 til 11 am, loading a ABF pup trailer with his furniture.  We loaded it halfway from floor to the ceiling with every inch being used pretty much. Shimmy is an industrial engineer and so if you know his mindset, he would be like "Hey, lets restack half of what we have already done, just so we can fit in this one small box". I was thinking "easy there big guy, We have a lot to do for one box". So about 11am, we had pizza and headed home.

After lunch, we all headed to dad's to do laundry and I was going to do work on the White Tractor. The washer is still broken. So, at dad's place we got moved some stuff around in the barn to clear a space for the White tractor. We used the frontend loader and moved it inside the barn.

After some measuring and "creative thinking", we started looking at an old Craftsman motor that dad had on a tiller. We were talking about putting it on the White tractor just to check to make sure the reaerend and lift worked properly. The motor was originally on a Sears tractor, that the rearend went out. Dad had saved the motor and had it on a tiller. The thing was a beast but he had trouble keeping the belts on it. This is a picture of it below. If anyone has info on this motor, please fill me in.

So the shaft on this is 1-1/8. The briggs motor that was on the tractor was 1". So we get in the car and go to 3 different places in 3 cities to find a temporary coupling to make this work. When we got back to dad's it was getting late, so we called it a day.

So then, I am driving home and realize, we still didn't get exactly what we need. Eh, that's just more opportunity for creative engineering i reckon. We will see this week.

IMG_20140111_190740_611_zps0856d5ad.jpg