UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 04:49 PM

That should make a nice tractor when you are done with it.

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#17 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:01 PM

Lots of potential there. 4 bolt rims, unusual.
  • Sal Mcc said thank you

#18 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:10 PM

That should make a nice tractor when you are done with it.

Thank ya sir. Is it me or maybe just my area? It seems like the Briggs horizontal shaft V twins are kinda hard to find. I am sure part of it is the time of the year also. I have found a couple but they are asking premium money or are sold or a long drive. Anyway, I will find one, just got to be patient.
I think I am going to take it to the satellite facility (Dad's farm) while I locate a motor or repair this one. Eh, got plenty to do in the meantime.

#19 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I am finding the same thing. Vertical shafts all over and no horizontals. I have no idea why though.

• Sal Mcc said thank you

#20 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 09:50 PM

Probably because every Briggs twin I see has a rod through the block
  • Sal Mcc said thank you

#21 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 12:41 AM

Probably because every Briggs twin I see has a rod through the block

Does it seem to happen more often with the horizontal shaft? I have one of the I8 hp I/C vertical opposed twin motors on my Murray. So far it's been good to me.

I was hoping someone may chime in and be able to tell us, was it an oiling or lack of oiling issue that is making them blowup? And like I asked, is it more of an issue with the horizontal than the vertical?

One reason I am asked the question, if I am able to rebuild this one or buy a similar one, i don't want it throwing a rod in 6 months. Also, The way this tractor is built, at the rear of the motor drives a drive shaft going back to the rearend kind of similar to a cub. But on the front of the motor there is a single pulley with a belt going down below or even with the frame that drives the deck and on the front of that shaft there is a front pto. (One option I thought of is i could mount an old single cylinder that is dependable but the drawback could be that if the crank shaft is shorter, The pulley on the front would not line up driving the front PTO. I am trying to think ahead here for later down the road for front mount implements. 

Edited by Sal Mcc, December 29, 2013 - 12:48 AM.

#22 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Today, i only got a couple things accomplished. (got tied up on other stuff.) I did find a owner' manual for the White tractor and an engine manual. I downloaded it to my laptop. At some point, i will print it off.

My truck did something weird on the way home. I am hoping it was just some bad fuel or water in the fuel. It has sputtered a couple times recently, and i was thinking maybe it needed the fuel filter replaced , its actually on the list to do this week. Anyway on the way home, it sounded like the valves were really noisy like when you are on a steep grade and then the check engine light came on. So, i got home took off the battery cable and it seems to be resolved for now. Anyway, fuel filter this week. Check.

Also, picked up a junk washing machine on the drive after the check engine light episode. 

I am checking out the White tractor (it is sitting on the big trailer) and having an issue getting it to roll. I tried pasting the info below but it's pdf file and i aint doing something right. Eh, i will figure it out , unless someone can tell me what i am doing wrong. LOL. It cant be that complicated. LOL.

Also, the operator's manual shows an opposed twin cylinder motor. But the tractor had a V twin on it. If someone has any more info on that or what i need to do swap to an opposed twin, please fill me in. 

Oh, and back to work tomorrow at the regular job. Thriller.  :(

#23 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,240 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted December 29, 2013 - 08:39 PM

Does it seem to happen more often with the horizontal shaft? I have one of the I8 hp I/C vertical opposed twin motors on my Murray. So far it's been good to me.

I was hoping someone may chime in and be able to tell us, was it an oiling or lack of oiling issue that is making them blowup? And like I asked, is it more of an issue with the horizontal than the vertical?

I've seen it on both. I spoke with a guy who works on tractors as his day job and he said he sees them all the time blown up from low oil
  • Sal Mcc said thank you

#24 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 09:22 PM

Well boys i didn't get a lot done today. It is extremely cold (for me) here.I think it is about 500 degrees below zero and ninety five mile per hour winds. LOL.

I did take the junk washer to the scrap yard. Some wise guy had dropped off a Massey Tractor (approx 30 to 40 Hp) with a manure front end loader there. Obviously it had major issues but Really? your tractor had some major issue and you hauled it to the scrap yard. On top of it was a homemade trailer frame approx. 20 foot long but the crazy part was it had nice looking axles (not the mobile home type). 

If the temperature warms up a little, we will see what tomorrow brings. 

• oldedeeres said thank you

#25 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 07:42 AM

Wish I knew anything about white tractors, give you an idea why not rolling.
  • Sal Mcc said thank you

#26 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 06:59 PM

Wish I knew anything about white tractors, give you an idea why not rolling.

I think i got it figured out. It turned out to be no biggie. 

• MH81 said thank you

#27 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 31, 2013 - 07:24 PM

i didn't get much done today. The fulltime job is busy and by the time i get home, it is dark, freezing cold, and the wind is howling. On top of that with the holiday stuff going on, getting time outside is being minimal.

This past weekend while i was getting the White tractor, i did get to meet a guy that has some old cars and mostly a bunch of junk very near where i live. (It's almost in my back yard lol). He is an older guy that used to fool around with old cars and stuff. he is basically retired now so all that stuff is just sitting there. There is a few old cars, a few junk cars, a few loads of old parts, an old very large excavator loader, some scrap metal, a few large tractor implements, a few tools, workbenches,  and who knows what else.

I tried to ask about his intentions or plans for all of it. He didn't seem ready to be getting ready of it yet. But he did take note where i lived and said he would keep me in mind.

It's kind of funny because all this stuff is sitting in two old barns that are in some woods right off the main road. I have drove by it for years and just recently come to know that all of this stuff is there. Maybe one day, he will want to do something with all of it. I do understand he wants to hang onto some of it. But wow, it is a lot of stuff.

Edited by Sal Mcc, December 31, 2013 - 07:26 PM.

#28 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 02, 2014 - 05:04 PM

I took off from work today to do a few things and helped my son do a few things. My son is planning to get married. I have asked him to wait and its kinda long story but i have begin to change my mind over the last few weeks, months. So at this point, i have decided to just support his decision the best i can be there for him no matter what. His fiance is a very sweet girl and do they do get along very well i have just thought they were too young. Anyway, I have decided to support their decision and be there for them as best as i can.

I didn't get a lot done today , just running some errands, trying to track down a cheap motor for the White. I did get a phone call about a building being torn down and the guy named Kenny, I call him Skinny caus he is a very, very large man, asked me if i will get the tin off the roof, i can have the barn woof off the sides. I think i am going there tomorrow and assess the situation at hand. 

Dealing with barn wood is a new deal for me but i am willing if i can find a buyer. He wants it gone pretty quick. He is being hired to tear down some buildings on the property and he has a huge track hoe already on site that will demolish it if I don't start pretty quick. We will see how that shakes out. 

Edited by Sal Mcc, January 02, 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#29 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 12:05 AM

I had a good day today. I got up at 7am got on the laptop for a bit while having some extremely strong made coffee brew. Austin and I loaded up some tools in the truck and hooked up the big trailer that had the White tractor on it. We took the White down to dads place and dropped off to free up the trailer becuase we had a barn wood job to go start on. So we left the tractor, and the bad motor and parts there. Also, Dad has a 10 horse horizontal shaft motor we are going to put on the tractor just to test out the rearend and hydrualic lift and everything. If that all goes well, the motor search will begin.

So, we drive back up the road to a town near where we live, to start the barn wood project. This is a pic of the front:

IMG_20140102_163254_758_zpsbdf8df8a.jpg

So, it was kind of a slow start. I think someone secretly moved the barn to Siberia because the temperature was 100 degrees below zero with huge wind gusts and so forth. Part of the deal was we had to remove the tin, for us to get the barn wood. So we got about half of it off and the other side didnt look too safe, so we went ahead and started to remove some of the wood. Lessons learned. The wood was very difficult to remove. to the point that i was like "Okay that's it, give me the chain, Austin back the truck up here and gas on it when I hook up the chain". So, we just yanked down some whole sections of wood and peices that would come loose easily.

This is the first barn wood project i have tackled. Lessons learned: 1. Bring a chain saw. 2. Bring a sawzall. 3. Bring a long at least 48" prybar. 5. Some tools like prybars need to be partially painted a bright color so they dont get lost in the grass or weeds. This is not easy work if you do not have the correct tools , DUH.

Anyway, this is what i ended up with :

IMG_20140104_160307_509_zps8dd30103.jpg

Edited by Sal Mcc, January 05, 2014 - 12:05 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#30 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted January 05, 2014 - 12:13 AM

After the barn wood adventure, Austin and i took another route back to Dad's to scope another possible upcoming barn wood job. We will check on it later in the week, i was too tired.

We got back to dad's , put back a few tools we borrowed and changed fuel filter on my truck. Two thoughts here:

1. I want to meet the Ford engineer that designed the push in clamp on the gas line. Why? Did someone drop him on his head? 

2. I seem to have gotten some bad fuel recently or something has gone array here , and i cant put my finger on it. We believe the fuel filter was changed maybe 30000 miles ago. The fuel was so full of crud, its really a miracle it was still running. 

Got all that done and drove home. I am exhausted. 

• KennyP said thank you