• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hello everyone. I wanted to share some of my stories with you all. I work a full time job and on the side i buy and sell a few mowers, parts sometimes , some scrap junk, metal and even some odd ball stuff sometimes.

Just to protect some folks, some names of people and places may have to be occasionally changed. LOL.

Disclaimer: There may be statements opinions, pictures, suggestions in this thread that may be politically, religiously, and personally incorrect and even approaching over the line. The opinions, statements of those are not the statements or opinions of GTT members, or staff. Just saying. LOL.

This journey began a couple years ago (kind of from necessity and curiosity too) when i began to buy and sell a couple mowers. The story will kind of pick up from the last couple weeks. (I would like to tell a few of the stories, but there is so many, maybe we can include one or two as we go along). It has become something i kind of enjoy doing sometimes and you can imagine some of the stuff that happens.

• hamman, cookiemonster, boyscout862 and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Welcome to GTT  :thumbs: 

please keep the Over the line political stuff out of your thread as it will get your thread shut down. 

• KennyP, HDWildBill, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#3 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 01:13 PM

A week ago I went to an estate auction from a hoarder of farm equipment, some Gravely walk behind stuff and just a bunch of junk. I don't think anything there ran or worked properly. I bought a few pieces of basically scrap metal and ended up and hauled most of it to the scrap yard. Wished now i would have bought some of the Gravely stuff. Lesson learned.

It was about 28*F and had rained the night before, and the parking area was real muddy. There was some guy leaving in a Ford Diesel that was about to get stuck. Rather than lock into 4wd and try to let it idle out of there, he gets into it wide open, slinging mud everywhere making a huge mess. Lucky, someone didn't shoot out the back window or something. LOL.

Anyway, took the stuff to the scrap yard and in the back where all the scrap steel belongs, they had a burn barrel going that was putting off good amounts of heat, and right next to it they had a XMAS tree sitting on top of a scrap patio table with about 3 ornaments on it. There is a guy there on a bobcat skidder unloading the heavy stuff. While he was unloading the trailer in front of me, he almost backed over the xmas tree, which would have knocked it into the fire and caused some problems. 

IMG_20131125_111856_127_zps357a3130.jpg

• MH81, hamman, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#4 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 08:57 PM

At any salvage yard I have been in around here the guy in the 4x4 would have paid dearly for a stunt like that!!
There always seems to be enough steel and trash to cut tires and they are hardly cheap!

One of the reasons I hate to go to a Salvage yard and drive my truck out back.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 25, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

• Sawdust said thank you

#5 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 09:16 PM

This thread should fire up some engines tommorow,.......

Keep it clean and tight, welcome to GT Talk.

Edited by trowel, December 25, 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#6 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Sal You have my interest.   Please continue.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 10:00 PM

I love those guys who think the loud pedal will get them out of mud.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Disclaimer: There may be statements opinions, pictures, suggestions in this thread that may be politically, religiously, and personally incorrect and even approaching over the line. The opinions, statements of those are not the statements or opinions of GTT members, or staff. Just saying. LOL.

Thanks for the heads up!  We'll be :watch_over_fence:  :rolling:

#9 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Thanks for the heads up!  We'll be :watch_over_fence:  :rolling:

Don't worry guys, we will keep it clean. I enjoy being on here too much to get kicked off. we will keep it within the rules. Thanks much to all the staff here for everything you do. 

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 10:48 PM

At any salvage yard I have been in around here the guy in the 4x4 would have paid dearly for a stunt like that!!
There always seems to be enough steel and trash to cut tires and they are hardly cheap!

One of the reasons I hate to go to a Salvage yard and drive my truck out back.

Let me clarify: the guy in the 4x4 was in the parking area at the auction not the scrap yard. The scrap yard was actually a couple days later.

#11 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 26, 2013 - 11:07 PM

We have had a couple good days. On Tuesday (yes it was Christamas Eve), I picked up a load of scrap metal with the small trailer and left it parked at the house. On lunch today from work, i ran over to the house and was going to hook to the small trailer and take to the scrap yard. (keep in mind, the small trailer is a 5x8 tilt, and it was loaded a little heavy on the back of the trailer. So, when i went to put it on the ball on the truck, the lock pin was not down all the way, and it got stuck half way on and half way off of the ball. It would not budge. So I retreived the BTL (that means Big Trailer Lift) tool. (It is a 4 x 4 post about 8 foot long). And i proceeded to pry upwards and all directions to get it free. After about five or six minutes of getting frustrated with this, it came loose and the back of the trailer started down at a rapid pace which in turn caused the tongue of the trailer to go in an upwards motion very rapidly. I quickly jumped on the tongue of the trailer to avert half of the load being dumped off the back. Whew, so after a few more minutes, the trailer was secured to the truck and away we went. Had to go quickly because the guys that work at the yard, take a hour for lunch and its hard to get a lot done when they are at lunch. Mission accomplished.

After work, I began to strip some parts off of and old Murray rider that i can use later. (trust me, for me to scrap a mower especially a rider, it is not worth saving. I got the parts i wanted and loaded onto the small trailer. Had to stop early for the evening, for a family function.

Tomorrow, the plan is to take the rest of the scrap metal i have left (the old Murray and a few other peices) to the scrap yard. Then Saturday, i have some other trash stuff to get off the trailer, so that means a trip to the dump. That always an iteresting trip. I will explain that later. 

Sometime, between Friday evening and Tuesday, I plan to go pay for the White tractor and get it home. I really want to get started on it.

Edited by Sal Mcc, December 26, 2013 - 11:09 PM.

#12 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:14 PM

Guys , don't get me wrong i like the holidays but I am kinda glad we are getting thru this one.

Today at work, I talked to a guy that has some knowledge of how the scrap yard business works. Interesting stuff.

During lunch break, i took the little Murray and a few pieces to the scrap yard, trying to get both the trailers cleared for this weekend projects. As i was about to leave work i get a phone number for a guy that had some kind of large industrial machine supposedly weighing 2000 pounds that he needed gone. I call him and get the address. My plan was to scrap it because it was my understanding the machine was in not repairable. So, i get home hook up the big trailer and get to the place and find that someone else is already loading it. I call him and he said that i was supposed to call him as i was leaving. I don't remember him telling me that. Oh well, lesson well learned, no sense in getting upset over that. :wallbanging:

After that 30 minutes of wasted time and few gallons of fuel, i made a trip up to Springfield and sold a piece of furniture i had on craigslist. Made a little money for the precious liquid they call gas.

The plans for tomorrow morning are 

1. Take the small trailer to the dump to get rid of some old junk. That is usually an interesting trip. 

2. I am supposed to go pay the guy for the White Tractor and pick it up. That will be very interesting not only getting it but getting it out of back of an old junky Dodge truck. It has tree sap, leaves, and no telling what else all over it. This is will be a very interesting venture. Tonight is like Christmas eve for me thinking about getting it.

3. Later around lunch, am supposed to go to the in-laws, they are having their Christmas get together. Oh boy.  :beer:

And then whatever else may come along. The plan is to take the White tractor to Dad's place while i find a motor for it. While I am there, i have another Murray i have used a lot of parts from. I may load it on the trailer to go to scrap. its kind of in the way where i plan to put the White under the lean to beside the barn. 

It will be a good day boys.  

Edited by Sal Mcc, December 27, 2013 - 10:22 PM.

#13 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 11:01 PM

What scrap yard do you go to up there. My brother worked for Shrums for several years.

#14 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:17 AM

What scrap yard do you go to up there. My brother worked for Shrums for several years.

I go to Volunteer Recycling. It is close to my work. I have been to Shrum's in Greenbrier before to get car parts. 

#15 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:16 PM

I had a good morning.

I got up early and drank a few cups of extremely strong coffee. So i hooked up the small trailer and took some stuff to drop off at the dump. The guy there always asked me "Do you have any hazardous materials?" . "No sir" is always the reply.

When i got back to the house, i went to see the guy that had the White tractor for sale. I gave him some money, and he said "Come on, that thing is in the back of an old truck. We will need to pull that old truck up a bit so you can unload it".

So, here we go in his Dodge pickup. The tractor was in the back of a truck that had small trees growing up behind it. The truck was an automatic and he couldn't find the key. So, we undo the transmission linkage and hook the chain to it and drag it up out of the weeds. It didn't want to move at first, but after a few jerks from his Dodge, it decided to move. LOL. Then i go get my truck and back the trailer up to the back of the truck. I brought along my small air compressor to air up the tires so it would roll easily. Yea right. After some pulling, tugging, dragging using a rachet strap,a dn some lifting with a board because i could not find the come a long at the moment, it was finally on the trailer. Not exactly as planned but it wasn't too hard. It is a little rough and it's gonna take a lot of cleaning, and a lot of work. But it will be worth it.

I will began next week or so, trying to decide if it the old motor is worth reapiring or begin to find another motor. It's a Briggs 18 HP Vanguard V twin. The story i was told is, the people ran it low on oil and it threw a rod. 

IMG_20131228_104720_872_zps0c74b843.jpg

• KennyP said thank you