Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Manuals And Brochures- What Are They Worth?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 09:23 AM

I know the normal response is "what some one is willing to pay". I have been in sales for 30 years so I get that. The question is what would you pay? For a color brochure? For a manual? I may be getting my hands on some and I am looking for a range. If you have already bought some, what did you pay?
This question is mainly for Bush Hogs but may have some Gilson and Power King/Economy as well. My source is not going to give them away since he knows they are hard to get, especially the color brochures. But their is a limit too on what people will pay. I have paid as little as $5 or less for manuals, and as much as $50 for color brochures. What I get will be limited. If I can get a good price, I would like to try to keep them off eBay. I have a range in mind based on what I have sold them for and based on what they have sold for on eBay. Plus they hardly ever come up on eBay so that confirms that those who do have them don't want to sell therm.

I suspect I will be getting some D4-10 brochures, JB-1 manuals, etc. most should be like new. Give me your thoughts and let me know if you have a need.

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,708 Thanks
  • 8,895 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 09:34 AM

If I can get a good price, I would like to try to keep them off eBay.

By that statement, do you mean you hope to get them before the seller puts them on Ebay, or that you're hoping to re-sell them without using Ebay?

That's one feature I love about this forum, the uploaded manuals. I don't consider manuals from a collectability standpoint, I'll just print out the pages and be happy with that. On the other hand, I think a GT being sold that has all the appropriate manuals that are original to the machine is worth paying more for.

• sacsr said thank you

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 09:58 AM

I tend to buy by the stack. A month ago, I paid $50 for a 10" high stack of various tractor manuals. Its a mix of all brands. There was atleast 1 shop manual for Cubs. There are also Kohler, Wheelhorse, and Jacobsen repair manuals. I won't pay more than $10 for a shop Manual. I picked up an original 1955 Harley shop manual too. That became my friends present as he has 6 of the old hard tails. There are plenty of the manuals still out there. You pay more if yu are in a hurry. Good Luck, Rick

• sacsr said thank you

#4 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:27 AM

I would think if you bought a large volume (stacks and stacks) of manuals and brochures you could get them all for cheap per unit.

Then you can offer these for sale individually or by specific brand/model and get your money back and then some.

I love checking out the manuals section for my specific brand/model. I DON'T have to have an original one, but then again, if I have the opportunity to purchase the manual for one of my GT's or attachments, I will.

• sacsr said thank you

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:54 AM

I think its better to give prices though PM instead of  throwing around numbers in the open forums like this..... You know once this thread gets archived and is online forever people who are looking to sell their manuals will search online first and find what people are paying  which drives prices up even more.

Just my 2 cents :thumbs:

• KennyP, sacsr, Talntedmrgreen and 2 others have said thanks

#6 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:34 PM

I am buying them for resale, but I am not really looking for a profit as much as helping him out. He has been really good to me. Just trying to pay him back and help others by offering them.
Any of these manuals that I get that are not in the manuals section, I will upload them before they are sold. We (all us BH guys) have uploaded most of the Bush Hog ones already. I will be surprised if I see some thing new in this pile.
If anyone is interested- PM with your need(s) and I will see what I can come up with.

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,658 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:50 PM

I have bought many off of epay.  Some cheap, some paid too much. I look for ones that match what I own or what I wish I owned. After awhile, there is not many different ones available. Some years it seems they must have over-printed an issue and you find them offered a lot, with prices all-over the range.  I like the Late model Plastic King items and let me know what you have in those. Can PM. Bush Hog I'm sure is the rarer ones.  Not sure WHY you wouldn't epay them, gives best chance for people to see, willing to pay more, and would go quicker in my opinion. Gilson stuff is garbage to me, but maybe others will like those. Hey! Make a list on an email and send that out to us guy's that are asking about them.

• sacsr said thank you

#8 Titus ONLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,247 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:52 PM

Bush Hog manuals I've found and paid anywhere from $10-20 per manual. Since many are online unless your a collector, I personally don't see the sense paying more than that.
  • sacsr said thank you

#9 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:54 PM

You know once this thread gets archived and is online forever people who are looking to sell their manuals will search online first and find what people are paying  which drives prices up even more.

Just my 2 cents :thumbs:

What's wrong with that?  Scarce items tend to become collectible, and the value goes up, based on what folks are willing to pay.  That's part of what makes collecting anything, a bit more exciting.  I find some original paperwork to be very collectible, just like an old original sign vs repop, etc.  Not for everyone, sure, but to many, no matter what it is, from the era when such things were never thought to become collectible, become just that.

I enjoy having original manuals for every tractor, attachment and optional equipment I own.  I wait to find one in excellent shape, for cheap.  Manuals aren't necessarily as intriguing as brochures and advertising items though.  For a nice, color brochure from the '60's, I have paid up to $30, and have a few I have not seen anywhere else, original or copy.  They make excellent conversation pieces in the shop, and at shows, especially when accompanying the equipment they displayed. 

• sacsr said thank you

#10 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:03 PM

I like old dealer manuals.  It started as a business thing where I needed a way to lookup parts for brands that are not available online, i.e. Clinton, Wisconsin, Phelon, etc.  Now, I have a bit of a collection going, of sorts, that I am scanning as I have time. 

Loose manuals I haven't paid as much for, although there are cases where I bought them.  It would have to be something scarce or something old. 

I paid almost $100 for one of my Wisconsin engine dealer manuals because it was right at the end of the new production and had almost everything I needed to know.   A complete set of operators manuals for most of the pre-Fuji series was about the same.

I wouldn't pay $10 for a Briggs and Stratton dealer manual, but I paid much much more than that for one that contained operators manuals for the old letter series. 

I fought hard and conquered first place for a Lauson engine and Power Products dealer manual from immediately after the Tecumseh purchase before Tecumseh dropped the old lines.  It was rare enough to fight for.  I nearly lost sleep over that one.  :rolling:

I have a whole pile of dealer manuals, and I do buy them when I see them in hopes to find the IPL for that one elusive model inside.  :mad2:

All that to say this: I pay good money when the paper is clean and not ragged and stained.  I suspect others with the right equipment or right interest would too.  Old manuals will have an increase in prices as time goes on.  Watch eBay for an old hit and miss manual sometime, they are rare enough now even for a common line that an original in good shape will see some action. 

Ben W.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#11 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:19 PM

Good stuff guys! Thanks for the feedback!

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:23 PM

I'd say manuals anywhere from 10 to $20 per.  Brochures I've not bought many, and what I did were single pages, and gave $8 to $10 each, plus shipping.  But what I bought were more common brochures.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:34 PM

What's wrong with that?  Scarce items tend to become collectible, and the value goes up, based on what folks are willing to pay.  That's part of what makes collecting anything, a bit more exciting.  I find some original paperwork to be very collectible, just like an old original sign vs repop, etc.  Not for everyone, sure, but to many, no matter what it is, from the era when such things were never thought to become collectible, become just that.

I guess if you dont mind paying more than thats ok.

My point was the more you talk and post prices on the web the higher the prices will be driven up.

• sacsr and pigsitter have said thanks

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 03:55 PM

I believe prices will rise no matter how much or how little people talk about it.  It's a simple fact that all this stuff is getting harder to find, simply because of their age.  Parts get higher in part just due to so much going to steel recyclers.  I don't give overly high prices a second look, so people can ask whatever they want & won't get it from me.

• sacsr and pigsitter have said thanks

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 04:00 PM

I will say that I haven't ever paid more than $10-15 dollars for a manual. Usually, it's several and they end up $5 each or so... Now the ones I have aren't earth shattering, but some of the ones I've uploaded have managed to make themselves onto other sites for the membership (and they are welcome to do so IMHO as long as the street goes both ways)

The only manual I paid more than that for was a 1971 Tecumseh full line service manual. I paid 25 for that really thick 3 ring binder.

Several years ago, I used to collect MH magazine ads. I had probably 20-30 of them. Then the market died. I still have a few, but gave many of them away as I never paid much for any of them and the recipients all seemed to appreciate them.

I agree that "What're they worth" threads can drive up prices if people post unrealistic figures, but from my perspective, if buying them in mass... $5-10 for manuals, $7-12 for a really nice, uncommon brochure. Some may call me cheap, but that's my $.02 ... And 499 more of those and you could buy a manual :D
  • sacsr said thank you