3 replies to this topic

#1 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 02:22 AM

Hey guys, just wondering if anybody had ever repowered a Q series frame Bolens with a V type two cylinder. The eng sits down in the frame in a cradle, mainly wondered how much mis-alignment the drive shaft would take? Has 2cyl ONAN now.

Just askin,

Thanks, George

#2 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 12:37 PM

Used Lawn and Garden Tractors - Mowers - Small Engines - Jim's Repair/Jim's Tractors seems quite knowledgable about re-powers. It might be worth dropping him a line.

#3 SnowmanPA OFFLINE  

SnowmanPA

• Member No: 2003
  • 12 Thanks
  • 37 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Hey George, I'm new to this forum and I just found this question you posed. I have a QT-16 that I repowered with a 24hp Honda V-twin last summer. I've been using it for almost a year now and I LOVE it. It runs so strong and sounds so good. It is also very SMOOTH compared to my old worn out Onan. I documented the process on my web album with plenty of pictures and descriptions.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

The project was pretty straightforward, with no major snags. I didn't have to cut my hood or any of the structure. The engine fits great. The driveshaft alignment is unchanged because I mounted the motor so that the crankshaft is in the exact same place as the Onan's was. I didn't even have to change the PTO belts!

The original driveshaft was not useable, but mine was shot anyway. I built my own "improved" driveshaft with PTO shaft parts from Tractor Supply. This shaft uses full-size automotive type u-joints that are greasable and replaceable, unlike the original driveshaft. The only snag was that the plastic hydro cooling fan could not be re-used without modifications. I still don't have a fan on mine, but I've noticed no ill effects on the operation of the hydro. I am planning on adding an auxiliary hydro cooler anyway.

The only other aspect that required a little deep thinking was merging the tractor's wiring harness with the engine's. I described the process in this other thread:

QT-16 Honda Repower - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

It really wasn't difficult, it just took a little thinking. If you have any knowledge of electrical circuits, it won't be any problem.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.

Ted

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 23, 2011 - 06:50 PM

Your cheapest option is to rebuild the old one. The parts are easy to get. Onanparts.com
  • WQDL753 said thank you