• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 07:58 AM

hi guys, pushing some stuff around my shop in this rotten weather and got to thinking (oh no here comes trouble) some of my gts have good rubber on them and i have cleaned them up but they look faded and drab, i remember being at a tire shop and they had tire paint, it seemed to bring their tires back to new looking, i have tried a number of other shine / wash products but not with great results. i have broken down on my thoughts that all my gts have to earn their spot (now that i have some nice ones) you wouldnt have that playboy looking girlfriend out there slopping out the barn, well maybe rolling in the hay, ha ha ha !!!!! anyways for my gts whos job it is to be beautiful does this stuff really work , i have only seen it in a 5gal pail, i dont mind buying it if it works, but if its going to start pealing in 6 months i dont want to go there

Edited by farmer john, December 24, 2013 - 08:01 AM.

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#2 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,583 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 08:34 AM

I think Stiner Tractor Parts has a good tire paint. I haven't used it but I have seen a couple of show tractors, both GT and Farm, at a tractor show that have it on their tires and they looked good. Roger.

• Alc, farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#3 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:00 PM

I read a couple articles of people using a light coat of flat black spray paint in the sun when its hot. Never tried it but each one said not to use gloss or it flake off
Let us know how you make out
  • farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#4 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:07 PM

I've thought about this awhile back when working on my big MM's.  I used to work in a hardware store and back in 70's you could buy small cans of that paint anywhere. Looked like thinned black paint,, but not really and dried flat or semi-gloss. Think just called Tire Black if I recall.  Went looking for that in modern times and no one knew of it or had seen it in many years. They all wanted to sell me that clear shiny Show Car stuff that most have now days. NOT!  I was told a tire store should have something still, but my old store didn't have it. No second hand guys near me to ask at. I'll have to check that STeiner's lead and see what they have. Seems Miller tire also had something in their catalog, but might have been large amounts??? Can't recall.

• hamman and farmer john have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:11 PM

Miller tire has the black tire paint in quarts and gallons. 5 gallons might be a bit much.

• hamman, farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 01:18 PM

You might check this out:

http://www.rangerpaint.com/
  • hamman, farmer john and JRJ have said thanks

#7 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 03:54 PM

I tried Bondo Restore Black on some old crappy looking auction purchase BFG turfs last spring.  I was VERY pleased with how they turned out.

They were very faded and had pigeon poop stains, mud stains, and some misc paint spots.  I scrubbed them good first then applied the Restore Black.

The first one came out good enough that I thought I ought to take a couple of pics of a tire half way done.  Ignore the orange spots, they weren't really there. It was some weird light trick with the camera.

bfg silvertown (4).jpg

bfg silvertown (5).jpg

• hamman, KennyP and JRJ have said thanks

#8 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 04:13 PM

One of the expensive auto car polishes make a tire shine stuff in a spray can, and it suppose to work good.

Dick

• hamman said thank you