Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

We Are Going To Have A White Christmas This Year!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Woke up yesterday morning to 8" of snow. Tested the new battery in the Ford, by starting the tractor.

Got things cleared out in shifts(as I get older my hands freeze up way too quick). Woke up this morning to 0 degrees this morning, but the car started and I got to work.

Tonight it's supose to hit 15 below, I don't think anything will melt by Wednesday? Hope to get things cleaned up a bit more tomorrow.  Have my parents and mother in law coming out for Christmas Dinner.

Mom and my Mother-in-law both use walkers.

• hamman, JDBrian, HowardsMF155 and 2 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:45 AM

Glad to hear the tractor started and you could clear things for company!

• JRJ said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:49 AM

I'm envious!  Several years ago everyone got together at my Dad's house a little south of here for Christmas.  Christmas day came and went with no surprises, but late Christmas evening the local news channel said "Maybe snowflakes tomorrow".  It was so magical to wake up the following morning with a house full of family and look outside to see the white flakes drifting down and covering the ground.  We got about 5 to 6 inches, and since Dad had a long un-used sled in his garage, we were able to go sledding as well.  We all stayed an extra day due to the danger of trying to travel.  I remember later that it was almost like Dad's house was the focal point of that storm, as snowfall amounts tapered off the farther we went from his house.

• JD DANNELS and JRJ have said thanks

#4 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 11:42 AM

I was just out past you place last Saturday on our way home from Washington. Looks like a great place to live. You didn't have a lot of snow then. Glad you got things done. Have a Merry Christmas. Roger.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 12:02 PM

Woke up yesterday morning to 8" of snow. Tested the new battery in the Ford, by starting the tractor.

Got things cleared out in shifts(as I get older my hands freeze up way too quick). Woke up this morning to 0 degrees this morning, but the car started and I got to work.

Tonight it's supose to hit 15 below, I don't think anything will melt by Wednesday? Hope to get things cleaned up a bit more tomorrow.  Have my parents and mother in law coming out for Christmas Dinner.

Mom and my Mother-in-law both use walkers.

I know what you mean about freezing hands. I froze mine a lot when I was younger, snowmobiling and dirt biking. Now, I've got to be careful. My walk behind blower has heated hand grips. That helps some.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 12:29 PM

I was just out past you place last Saturday on our way home from Washington. Looks like a great place to live. You didn't have a lot of snow then. Glad you got things done. Have a Merry Christmas. Roger.

Yeah last week we had a couple days in the high 30's and one day actually hit 58.  I just checked the forecast and we are soupose to get a little snow tomorrow and flurries Christmas day. .

• hamman and JRJ have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 12:31 PM

I know what you mean about freezing hands. I froze mine a lot when I was younger, snowmobiling and dirt biking. Now, I've got to be careful. My walk behind blower has heated hand grips. That helps some.

Well Brian I will have to dig into that? The Ford does have a cigarette light, I wonder where I can get a heated steering wheel?

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 23, 2013 - 12:31 PM.

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 12:39 PM

Well Brian I will have to dig into that? The Ford does have a cigarette light, I wonder where I can get a heated steering wheel?

Find a 12V heat tape & wrap around it! Or put an inverter on the tractor and use a 110V model!

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'm envious!  Several years ago everyone got together at my Dad's house a little south of here for Christmas.  Christmas day came and went with no surprises, but late Christmas evening the local news channel said "Maybe snowflakes tomorrow".  It was so magical to wake up the following morning with a house full of family and look outside to see the white flakes drifting down and covering the ground.  We got about 5 to 6 inches, and since Dad had a long un-used sled in his garage, we were able to go sledding as well.  We all stayed an extra day due to the danger of trying to travel.  I remember later that it was almost like Dad's house was the focal point of that storm, as snowfall amounts tapered off the farther we went from his house.

I'm sure snow is a rare thing in NC for the most part.

We really don't get near as much snow anymore as I remember when I was a kid. It seemed like it started snowing in late November and we had snow till late March.

When I was a kid up till about 1964, Colfax closed Division Street off and it was a Sledding hill that ran about 7 blocks.  It ran down a steep hill for 1 block, got to a graduall slope for 3 blocks and then got steep for 3 blocks.  The problem was at the bottom was Hwy 117 and after some of the big kids with the really good sleds started running across hwy 117 in front of traffic they stopped closing the street.

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 23, 2013 - 12:56 PM.

• JRJ said thank you

#10 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,627 Thanks
  • 2,580 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 02:28 PM

I really never had much of a problem with my hands in winter. Working in Wyoming for 6 years we had some pretty harsh winters. We were issued some gloves that were hand made for us along with out winter coats and gators ( I was a deputy sheriff) they were made in Utah. I had to turn them in when I left there and have missed them ever since. Since the injury to my left index finger it gets cold very fast and easy. I use a hand warmer (small size) and put it in the finger of the glove I use now. It helps but is not the best. When I come in from blowing with the Jacobsen I have to wrap it in a warm cloth to warm it up again. The best gloves were thinsulate 1400 and they were thin and flexible. Can't find them now. Everyone stay warn and be safe. thanks. Roger.

• JRJ said thank you

#11 grnspot110 ONLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 06:12 PM

4-5" here yesterday morning:

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM2969 (Small).JPG
  • HPIM2972 (Small).JPG

• KennyP and JRJ have said thanks

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 06:18 PM

Stay warm and safe.. I just blew a path int he field.. it's over the top of my loaner 1154 JD blower. It will stall out the 1025 easy also..

• JRJ said thank you