• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 10:10 PM

We are planning on switching from Att to another carrier and it will probably be verizon. We have been with att for years but at the new place we barely get reception and if we do it is almost guaranteed that you will get cut off.

I was doing some digging around and here Amazon has a wireless store which I guess most of the big chains do that now but you can get phones for .01 , obviously they probably have some sort of early cancellation fee on top of whatever carriers early termination fee but if we switch we definitely are not switching again for a long time.

I am curious to see if anyone else has verizon and if you are happy with their service.

#2 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,117 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 10:49 PM

I have had verizion for about 10 years now and never had a problem.I do get once in a while dropped call.And when we do have a problem they have fixed it at least most of the time.

#3 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 11:25 PM

Been with them for about 8 years and I have been pretty happy with the service. Just watch your bill, I dont read all the little mouse print they send in those notices. I kept finding a $4.95 charge every month for web acess. I did not acess the web, but I did hit the button to cruse through the music selections a few times. That was the charge, just accessing their media now is a charge. No biggy but it took me a month or two to figure out it had changed.

#4 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 02:54 AM

GEORGE, What phone are you using? The reason i'm asking is I use the old Nokia on the go-phone prepaid, and have no signal at all where I live. My daughter is on ATT prepaid but has a new phone with the querty keyboard, and gets voice, and text here inside the Mobile home. My son has VERIZON on I think a DROID phone, and he also has good connection here.

My son likes the Verizon service, but first month burnt 300.00 worth of internet time.

Like coldone said, watch that small print.

Regards George

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 11:08 AM

George, I have had verizon for many years now. It has the best coverage in my area and I'll bet yours. I have verizon Fios for tv, house phone and internet. It packages with the wireless phone. I really like it. If you know someone with verizon, invite them over and check their cell reception before you switch. I'll bet they have better reception.

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 12:59 PM

Nutndun, My wife and I have been with Verizon for about 6 years. My wife is good friends with the woman who owns the local independent Verizon store and we have always gotten the best deals for our phones. Develop a relationship with your local rep and they can be of much better service to you than any of the "big box" stores. In general I am extremely happy with the service that we get with them, but I wouldn't go it alone!

Been with them for about 8 years and I have been pretty happy with the service. Just watch your bill, I dont read all the little mouse print they send in those notices. I kept finding a $4.95 charge every month for web acess. I did not acess the web, but I did hit the button to cruse through the music selections a few times. That was the charge, just accessing their media now is a charge. No biggy but it took me a month or two to figure out it had changed.

Coldone, You can have all of those features blocked so that you do not incur "accidental" charges.

GEORGE, What phone are you using? The reason i'm asking is I use the old Nokia on the go-phone prepaid, and have no signal at all where I live. My daughter is on ATT prepaid but has a new phone with the querty keyboard, and gets voice, and text here inside the Mobile home. My son has VERIZON on I think a DROID phone, and he also has good connection here. My son likes the Verizon service, but first month burnt 300.00 worth of internet time. Like coldone said, watch that small print.

Regards George

George, You can spend $30.00 a month for an unlimited plan where it doesn't matter what kind of data he uses, it'll be the same price. Make sure that you anticipate the "government" fee, taxes, and charges before you sign up though. If you go to a private Verizon store, you can ask what those additional costs will be.
  • dryrun said thank you

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 01:00 PM

Verizon has the best coverage in this remote area you know nothing close to Arkansas.

#8 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 01:45 PM

[quote name='NUTNDUN']We are planning on switching from Att to another carrier and it will probably be verizon. We have been with att for years but at the new place we barely get reception and if we do it is almost guaranteed that you will get cut off.

I was doing some digging around and here Amazon has a wireless store which I guess most of the big chains do that now but you can get phones for .01 , obviously they probably have some sort of early cancellation fee on top of whatever carriers early termination fee but if we switch we definitely are not switching again for a long time.

George,

I have had V.W. for over 10yrs. and have had great coverage. I resently got my wife a smart phone, LG phone was dirt cheap and they have a special right now for the next 2yrs, you don't pay the access fee.Just costs me 24.95 for unlimited internet and they have as good as anyone out there.

Hope this helps. Ask if you have any questions.
BTW- I have excellent luck with LG products

Brian

#9 Tinkerer OFFLINE  

Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted December 26, 2010 - 09:08 PM

My wife and I have had Verizon now going on our 7th year. We have been very happy with them. We got rid of our land line phone this summer and upgraded our cell phones for more anytime minutes and reduced our phone billls by eliminating the land line. Good luck as you research different carriers. BTW, you can do a lot of comparing online and find some really good phone deals online also.

#10 Chuck_050382 OFFLINE  

Chuck_050382

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 32
  • 267 Thanks
  • 1,498 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 10:36 AM

I have verizon, at my house (inside or out) no phone has great signal. Verizon is the best at getting on there.

For the most part I have been very happy with the service I have with verizon.

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:01 PM

Well, we went and did it. I guess we will have our phones on Friday. Went to the Verizon store today to see which phones we definitely wanted and I would have gone through the store but there were two reasons I didn't. I need a smartphone and the wife should technically have one also. They do have the special where you buy one get one on particular models but for the phones we wanted we were looking at $299 for the one phone with a $100 mail in rebate plus the monthly plan. The other reason was the salesperson was a little too pushy. As soon as I hear the comment "What would it take for you to make a purchase tonight" I am already mentally heading out the door.

So we left and got home. I did some more reading up on the phones we chose and also went on Amazon Wireless and read the fine print. Their early termination only lasts for 181 days or 6 months which is not bad at all considering we got the two phones we wanted for $50 shipped. So I guess we will see how it goes :D

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:25 PM

Hope it works well for you.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 08:29 PM

Hope it works well for you.

I do too, I have my fingers crossed. ATT has a network extender but they wanted $150 for it and wouldn't lower the price and couldn't promise that it would fix our problems. I would think that if they were at risk of loosing a 10 year customer that they would have at least marked it down or given us a trial unit to try.

#14 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:12 PM

Dont forget Verizon to verzion calls are free!

#15 MikesRJ OFFLINE  

MikesRJ

One of the 1st 500!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 462
  • 70 Thanks
  • 118 posts

Posted December 28, 2010 - 09:55 PM

Not to be one of the lone neighsayers, but I've travelled for work the past 25+ years and have worked for several companies which used Verizon. I'll also qualify my next statement in that both of my sons are salesmen for AT&T. I've used both Verizon and AT&T all over teh US, but primarily on the east coast. In a word, Verizon "just doesn;t cut it". AT&T, by far, has much better overall roaming service. YMMV and just my two cents.