3 replies to this topic

#1 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 09:57 AM

I need help !!!!!!!!

Every time I try to start the 1556 the starter gear ,spring ,, retainer , and clip shoot right off the end of the starter shaft... I have made sure the clip is on there nice and tight and all seems normal..

I even tried to bench test it a couple of times thinking that the ring gear on the motor had something to do with it..

When bench testing,,,The parts catapalted across the garage..This appears to be a new looking starter .

What would make the starter over extend off the shaft ???

I took it to a service guy and he said all looks fine   including the clip.  It just travels out to far and blows everything out the end .. I think I'm about to order a new starter,,BUT hate to shell out for one cause it works fine except for the overtravel ..

It seems there is some in and out play on the shaft it's self.. Could there be a clip or retainer on the inside of the motor it's self . ???  Ant help would be app.          sodi

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:48 AM

That clip or the grove it sets in must have an issue. If it were mine, I would replace the clip and look for any taper to the groove. Possibly a small washer just below the clip?
if none of that works, try drilling a small hole thru at the end, just past the clip and put a roll pin thru. You don't have much to lose if it doesn't work.
  • JDBrian and sodisr have said thanks

#3 framesteer OFFLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 330 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 03:54 PM

Also, make sure the clip retainer is in good shape, especially the shoulder that goes over the clip.  If this part is damaged or warn, it could be forced past the clip, allowing all the parts you mention to fly off.

• sodisr said thank you

#4 ckjakline OFFLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,080 Thanks
  • 1,093 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 05:56 PM

I also think you should replace the clip.It might have more play than it should have.

• sodisr said thank you