OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 09:51 AM

Many, many, moons ago, when I used to fly R/C Sailplanes, the AMA (Academy of Model Aeronautics) which holds a "Nationals" contest every year did a bit of a study when looking for a site.

There were a number of sites available, and it was determined that the Dayton, OH site was the best available, as it was within one day's driving distance of a majority of the population of the US, and would make it easier for most modelers to attend.

With that in mind, I'm thinking that the Columbus Ohio area might be considered.

I know that last June, there was a VGTCOA show in Plain City, Oh which is within a rock throw or two of Columbus.

Maybe DougT can help us out with more info on that, as he was the organizer of that event.

• Jack and twostep have said thanks

#17 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 10:02 AM

First, I'd be game for anything in central MI, even if it's just a handful of locals.  I also attended Buckley this year, for the first time, and took the family and as many machines as I could pack.  It was well worth the effort, and this year I would make it a two-day deal.

I second central OH...there are many events there, most of which that I have been aware of were brand-spcific, and of course, the VGTCOA (WONDERFUL organization) expo.  It's a great, central location.

• hamman said thank you

#18 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,720 Thanks
  • 4,280 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 11:13 AM

This year I will be doing the Ohio regional for the VGTCOA at the Greenville, Ohio Power of the Past show. Show dates are July 10, 11, 12,13, 2014. I can easily set up a GTTalk area in conjunction with it.

• Jack said thank you

#19 lesmeister OFFLINE  

lesmeister
  • Member No: 30635
  • 185 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 11:44 AM

I vote for a location in MO, somewhere along I 49 or the old 71 highway? I think folks from Kansas, MO, Arkansas, and OK could all meet together. Just a thought.
  • york0060, Gtractor and KennyP have said thanks

#20 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Troy, also consider on the PA one maybe south pa close to the line? Either of my choices have me driving 5-8 hours one way. Probably could not get enough but a mid va would be nice :-)
Where ever it ends up - I will try to make it.

#21 cityboy2977 OFFLINE  

cityboy2977

ordinary average guy

• Member No: 6650
  • 117 Thanks
  • 179 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Made it there last year but Kathy had a musical obligation this year so we couldn't go.  Have you been to the show?

On another note I think I can throw out kind of the same offer as Kenny.  Between our place and my brothers next door we have over 4 acres.  Room for a meeting and quite a few campers.  We are right on the channel leading to a chain of ten lakes, over 2000 acres of water for boating and fishing.  I feel pretty confident that we could find some ground to plow up, with permission of course.

A possibility for any one that would be close enough to be interested.

no sir. we just moved up here in April. but i am gonna try real hard to make the trip next year. neighbor of mine makes it there with his big JD's

• Michiganmobileman said thank you

#22 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yeah, seems like IN, OH, ILL, got left out is what I thought. Portland, IN has one of biggest shows in world in August. Lots of groups meet during that. I HAVE seen some of the guys here at my spot this summer. Meeting at shows seems like a better idea. More to see than just all your ugly faces!  :smilewink:

• Gtractor, mowinman2 and Jack have said thanks

#23 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 02:09 PM

How far are you from Sears, MI.? My nephew has a place there. Looks like you would be in a good place for a lot of the Michigan members to get to.

As stated being " landlocked" here in Michigan it is always a long drive to some where else, especially from Northern Michigan. This year was a good show at Buckley. I am going to try to take some tractors there this year. Roger.

We are about 15 miles from Sears, on the Martiny lake Flooding.  

Yeah, seems like IN, OH, ILL, got left out is what I thought. Portland, IN has one of biggest shows in world in August. Lots of groups meet during that. I HAVE seen some of the guys here at my spot this summer. Meeting at shows seems like a better idea. More to see than just all your ugly faces!  :smilewink:

I think my chances for Portland would be pretty slim as that is one of Kathy's music fest weekends.  But I will admit she says it's not one of her favorites so I may have some leeway with the proper bribes out in place.

• hamman said thank you

#24 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 02:44 PM

NONE OF THE ABOVE!

#25 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 05:12 PM

QUOTE: Looking at the membership map, I'm suprised to see limited #'s of folks in that area.  Seems there are more folks here within that region, than those that are actually mapped.

Some members chose to not use the map.

I can't add my location to the map. Can hardly even view it! Just does not work for me!
If members in the Northeast want to get together. I'd suggest the Eliot Maine tractor show. Second weekend in July.

Joe
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 06:07 PM

I can't add my location to the map. Can hardly even view it! Just does not work for me!
If members in the Northeast want to get together. I'd suggest the Eliot Maine tractor show. Second weekend in July.

Joe

I'd be happy to help if I can! I don't understand the view part though.

#27 Rock farmer ONLINE  

Rock farmer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10759
  • 1,119 Thanks
  • 1,177 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:17 PM

Kenny, I'm using an Ipad, I think that map program is for IBM/Microsoft. When I open it, I'm looking at the Atlantic Ocean fron 10,000 miles up. If I zoom in on north america, it automatically re-focuses me on Greenland!
I have this problem on other web sites as well. Maybe they want my location to let me use the app.
I don't allow cookies. I'm just saying there may be a lot of members that aren't on the map for these same reasons!

Thanks,
Joe

Edited by Rock farmer, December 22, 2013 - 07:18 PM.

• KennyP and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#28 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,800 Thanks
  • 2,200 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:23 PM

how about something in the northeast , boy scout mentioned earlier this year an event near mass  that might work for new england.  for me ,NY or PA would only work if it was on the east side as it could be 8-10 hrs to get to the western areas. I like the idea and think we'll get it ironed out. Tom

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,434 Thanks
  • 39,673 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:24 PM

I didn't realize that, Joe! Don't have one of them there new-fangled things!

• Rock farmer said thank you

#30 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,800 Thanks
  • 2,200 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Rock farmer  (joe) has a good option for new england, just looked it up on the map. I am in western Ct and make that trip often as i have friend near there in Me. ( usually includes a side trip to Joe's) That's less than 4 hrs for me. Tom