6 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 05:23 PM

I'm finally ready. The presents are wrapped. I'm not a very good wrapper, but I'm a better wrapper than I am a rapper. The dogs' stockings are hung on the wall and packed with doggie treats. The cats' stockings are carefully hidden in a high cupboard because of the catnip factor. I just went and collected some perogies and cabbage rolls from the old woman down the road, and I've got the wheat and mushroom sauce bubbling. I have Great Western Pilsner in green cans and Rickard's Red decorating the inside of the beer fridge. I cleaned out the truck so Mrs. Rev doesn't have to deal with my collection of bolts, beer cans, and dog hair on the way to her mother's tomorrow.

All that's left to do now is clean the driveway. Technically the inch of snow we got doesn't require cleaning, but I refuse to pass up the opportunity.:yelclap:

#2 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 06:06 PM

LOL That's the spirit Rev! Hope you have a good one!

#3 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:01 PM

You too. I expect people will start wandering in here shortly. Funny how many people can free up some Christmas Eve time when you mention you're cooking a traditional Ukrainian 13 course supper. I have orphans from 18 to 60 coming for snacks between 7:00 and midnight.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,280 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:07 PM

You too. I expect people will start wandering in here shortly. Funny how many people can free up some Christmas Eve time when you mention you're cooking a traditional Ukrainian 13 course supper. I have orphans from 18 to 60 coming for snacks between 7:00 and midnight.

13 courses? Wow I'm getting in the car now, save a little of each for me... oh, he didn't include directions.

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 08:25 PM

13 courses? Wow I'm getting in the car now, save a little of each for me... oh, he didn't include directions.

Just head Northwest until you cross the border and then follow your nose LOL!

#6 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 09:15 AM

Yeah, we usually do that the Saturday before Christmas, but this year everything was a little off. We almost cancelled it, thinking nobody would want to come on Christmas Eve, but finally decided to do it anyway.

The 13 courses are a traditional Ukrainian Catholic thing. There's 13 to represent Jesus and the 12 apostles. Each course means something...the bread and honey is so everybody will be back next year, the wheat is for for good crops, etc., and there's no meat. Well, there's fish of course.

When I was a kid my family used to do this as a traditional sit-down meal. Now we do it as buffet/snack thing because there's something for everybody and there are a lot of vegetarians around. I never tell the vegetarians about the bacon grease on the perogies, of course. I did tell my Jewish friend a couple of years ago, but it turns out he loves bacon...I guess he's Jewish in roughly the same way I'm Catholic. Anyway, it's a great thing to serve at the kind of party where people come and go. It's also profitable because the food only costs about $100 or $150 and the guests leave behind $200 worth of booze. Also, there's leftovers to take to my mother in-law's today, so she has to do less cooking.

Anyway, I know quite a few people who are a long way from family or don't have family anymore, much like I can rarely make it home to my family at Christmas, so we have this party every year.

#7 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 12:33 PM

I guess since it is now after the fact,I can finally say that I'm ready.LOL