• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:09 AM

We received word that my cousins son and a friend died yesterday due to a suspected furnace malfunction. Do you have your furnace inspected before the season? It may have prevented this tragedy. Just posting as a reminder to all of us. Kurtee

He was approaching 30 and taking over the farm. Now no one to do that.
  • hamman, sacsr, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:21 AM

My sincere condolences. Rick

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:22 AM

Sad news and a sharp reminder of things we often might ignore.

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,290 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:42 AM

Sorry for your loss, our thoughts are with you.

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,629 Thanks
  • 2,585 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:17 AM

Smoke detectors, carbonmonoxide detectors and a regular furnace cleaning and inspection are a must for home owners and renters. Having been in the HVAC business I have done hundreds of inspections and had to tell many people that their furnace or boiler needed to be replaced due to cracked heat exchangers. Having been a Police Officer, Firefighter - EMT, I have seen the effects of CO on people and their pets. Anual Inspections are needed. My condolenses on the loss of a family member. Thanks for reminding us of this silent danger. Roger.

• Alc, sacsr, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 02:09 PM

Sorry for your loss...sad news

I never really have had professional inspections on my furnaces in any of the houses I've owned. I never really have any trouble. I have Co detectors and smoke alarms around.

The wood stove makes me more nervous than anything. Especially since my wood stove is very very old. But I brought home a hand held co/o2 and methane doctor from work. These are very sensitive and the only way I could get any Co is if I opened the door and it would run up a tiny bit but not enough to reach the warning levels.

Edited by toomanytoys84, December 21, 2013 - 02:09 PM.

• hamman and HDWildBill have said thanks

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Very sad to hear of this.  Just a couple weeks ago, when my furnace control board, when I went back to put the new parts in, the flue pipe had come loose from the furnace & completely off!  My furnace is in a drafty cellar, so not nearly as dangerous as one inside living space, but still glad I found it when I did.

• Alc, hamman, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:30 PM

Krutee, Sorry to hear about your loss.  I agree 100% that you should have your furnace inspected, cleaned and serviced annually.  I do warn you though to be careful if the say something is wrong.  Get a second opinion.  Several years ago I decided to have a local big name company come out and check out the A/C before I needed it.  When they came out, I got a call from the wife stating that the heat exchanger had a crack in it and we needed a new furnace.  I was sceptical and decided to check it for my self ( I had worked in HVAC for a while and had gone to classes on gas appliances.)  When I checked I could not find anything wrong with the furnace, but to be on the safe side I called the gas company to have them inspect it.  They also found nothing wrong.  I called the company to complain and when I talked to the service manager it was like talking to an empty vacuum.  That company is still in business today.  So by all means get it inspected but always get a second or third opinion before laying out the $$$

• hamman, lyall, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#9 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:38 PM

Very sorry to hear of your loss.Please keep in mind a furnace doesn't have to be really old to have issues,here's a pic of a heat exchanger I changed out Tuesday at work,it's out of an almost 10 year old gas pack.I made the diagnosis on this in single digit temperature and it really bothered me to shut their heat down in those temps but safety comes before comfort.

Notice I stuck a screwdriver clean thru it without poking any new holes in it!IMG_20131217_103200.jpg

Edited by pigsitter, December 21, 2013 - 04:45 PM.

• hamman, HowardsMF155, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#10 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:38 PM

That's tragic. Condolences to the family and friends. I know several people who have been poisoned by CO from travel trailer furnaces. So don't forget to have them checked and get a CO alarm. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#11 Deerlope ONLINE  

Deerlope

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 98
  • 399 Thanks
  • 319 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 05:06 PM

My thoughts and prayers for the family and all concerned.

#12 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Very sorry to hear of this tragedy.

#13 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Michiganmobileman

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Sorry to hear of this, a very sad story at any time, even worse at this time of the year.

Please, please, please, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

If you have a fuel burning appliance of any sort in your home, you NEED a Carbon Monoxide detector, AND YOU NEED IT NOW!!!

If you have family or friends that have a fuel burning appliance of any sort in their home,  they NEED a Carbon Monoxide detector, AND THEY NEED IT NOW!!!

A CO detector is a boring but wonderful, potentially life saving gift to give to some one you love.  It ain't pretty, it ain't decorative, it ain't fashionable or in line with someone's wish list, but, if you want them here for next year's holiday season and for years to come......give the gift of life!

Something so simple and relatively inexpensive and so important is missing from too many homes.  

Do your part to save a life.

And while your at it check out your/their smoke alarms too.  Current recommendations that they be replaced after ten years use make sense.  Sensors become dirty or dusty and the newer technology is more reliable.  Units available with long lasting built in batteries to prevent that temptation of "borrowing" the batteries for the kids toys.

Sorry for the rant......

Edited by Michiganmobileman, December 22, 2013 - 07:46 AM.

• olcowhand, powerking56, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#14 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Sorry to hear of this, a very sad story at any time, even worse at this time of the year.

Please, please, please, PLEASE!!!!!!!!

If you have a fuel burning appliance of any sort in your home, you NEED a Carbon Monoxide detector, AND YOU NEED IT NOW!!!

If you have family or friends that have a fuel burning appliance of any sort in their home,  they NEED a Carbon Monoxide detector, AND THEY NEED IT NOW!!!

A CO detector is a boring but wonderful, potentially life saving gift to give to some one you love.  It ain't pretty, it ain't decorative, it ain't fashionable or in line with someone's wish list, but, if you want them here for next year's holiday season and for years to come......give the gift of life!

Something so simple and relatively inexpensive and so important is missing from too many homes.  

Do your part to save a life.

And while your at it check out your/their smoke alarms too.  Current recommendations that they be replaced after ten years use make sense.  Sensors become dirty or dusty and the newer technology is more reliable.  Units available with long lasting built in batteries to prevent that temptation of "borrowing" the batteries for the kids toys.

Sorry for the rant......

Change batteries in the spring and fall...