Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 06:39 PM

Not sure what tools you have or not but if you get it running again you could feel the heads to see if they a firing close to the same if you have a bad cyl plug ect you'll feel a big difference If thesame maybe a restriction in the exhaust ? I'm sure others will also have ideas for you too

#17 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 10:37 PM

It's not an exhaust restriction, checked that.  It has a new coil/wires/plugs.  With it blowing the compression stroke back out the carb, it has to be an intake valve stuck open I would assume.  BUT, I'm not a small eng. mech.  Guess I will become one eventually owning an onan.  I have tools, I used to work as an industrial mechanic, and spent 20 yrs as an aircraft tech.  I know I can figure it out, the biggest problem I think is getting over the fear of a small eng.  Never had one apart... first time for everyone I guess.  Anny/All the hints/suggestions I can get before I actually tear into this eng is greatly appriciated.

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 02:49 AM

Here's the service manual for the B48M.

• Alc said thank you

#19 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:02 AM

Thanks, I will definately read through that.

• Alc said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:33 AM

Keep us posted of what you find , good luck !

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 07:57 AM

It wasn't on a small engine but car I had ,blew back through the intake ,the canshaft lobes were worn off the exhaust valve I didn't do a compression test so not sure if it would have shown up on it

#22 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 08:37 AM

.  I know I can figure it out, the biggest problem I think is getting over the fear of a small eng.  Never had one apart... first time for everyone I guess.  Anny/All the hints/suggestions I can get before I actually tear into this eng is greatly appriciated.

Well its already broke so what you got to loose. Take the tins off, take the heads off and have a look. I am sure it aint as bad as an aircraft and if you screw up aint nothing gonna fall out of the sky :D

• Alc said thank you

#23 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:17 PM

Well, an update to what is going on with 'er.  Life got in the way, she sat outside all winter.  I lowered myself and used a weed green with 3-point blower to clean the drive.  Anywayz, aired up a couple tires that had gone flat, broker 'er loose from the snow/ice that built up on the tires/ground and pulled her up to the cement pad last night.  This morning I moved her into the garage and cranked up the heater.  Removed both spark plugs and did a compression test.  Left side read 107, right side, a big fat 0.  So I removed the right head fully expecting to see a valve seat loose.  To my surprise, and very happilly so, there was a screw stuck betwixt the valve/seat.  Took a few minutes and got the screw out, valve slapped shut.  Turning the engine by had I saw it now moves normally.  Examined the valve and seat, very minor scratches.  I re-installed the head, torq'd 'er and did a compresion test on the right cylinder again.  105 is what she is now reading.  I re-used the head gasket as it looked good.  I will order some new gaskets for both sides before winter and get that done.

I'm happy to report she hums like a kitten after sitting this long.  Now to find some ag tires and implements to work the garden shortly.  I see lots of pin hitch plows/disks but no 3 point.  Maybe I will have to find a 3-point to sleeve hitch adaptor.

Thanks to all of you for your guidance and help.

• MH81, coldone, Alc and 2 others have said thanks

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:32 PM

Then you will find an air filter housing screw missing atop the carb, under the air filter element.  Replace it, but use medium hold (blue) Loctite to keep them there.

#25 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:41 PM

Wow, you got lucky on that. Best case outcome for that situation. 

#26 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,520 Thanks
  • 3,397 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:02 AM

That old Onan is hard to kill and nothing sounds better! On my 1855, I cut off the cat 1 pins and welded cat 0 pins on it and opened up the adjustment enough to use a cat 1 blade, discs, etc...

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,519 Thanks
  • 39,737 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:17 AM

Glad you got the Onan purring again. I have one I need to pull out and rebuild the starter (P220). While it is out, I plan to pull the heads and adjust the valves. Already have the gaskets here, got them from here.

#28 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 07:33 AM

Glad to hear it wasn't a big problem ! 

#29 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 02:10 PM

Fun-fun-fun!  Ole man winter is trying to stay alive.  He dumped 3 inches of wet snow on us last night.  So, for a short time I got to enjoy blowing snow.  Then, all of a sudden, the blower starts shaking then quits working.  I adjusted the chain tighter and it worked for a couple more minutes then sounded bad, like a machine gun firing off.  The blower is still spinning, just not sounding good.  The chain is not busted so I figure there is something wrong with one of the gears, either by the pto shaft or in the blower itself.  Glad I enjoy working on old equipment.  Like I needed more work this summer.... got an allis chalmers tractor to rebuild before I can get to this.  Going to be a fun summer!  Somewhere in there I want to do a trip or 2 on my moto bike.  Got's a garden to plow/plant.... mmmm-boy we're gonna have fun! :rocker2:

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted March 21, 2014 - 05:17 PM

Man, that's a stinker.