32 replies to this topic

#1 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:54 PM

Sorry for the dirty word.

My 1855 is now DOA. Guess I don't have to worry about tires or chains now. Whilst blowing snow the other day, it started missing occasionally, then straightened up. By the time I was able to limp back to the house, it is running very badly, like one cylinder is RIP. Now she won't start. Does not make me very happy, now I have to snow blow 1/2 mile long driveway with a walk behind Snapper. I'm a little disabled and can hardly walk, this sure messed up my winter. Sad day for me. Sorry for the whinning, I'm just depressed about it. I might even have to lower my standards and use my neighbors weed green with 3 point blower. Naaa.... I walk and take more meds.

#2 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 12:32 AM

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'm not familiar with an 1855. I only know cub cadets, so excuse my ignorance, but what type of tractor is this?

What are the symptoms of the tractor, did it just stop, or won't restart, what? A little more information please, or do you know it's roached for sure?

#3 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 12:56 AM

You have my luck,Stuff only breaks when you really need or your broke and can't afford to fix it.... keep your chin up it's gotta get better   :thumbs:  Maybe someone has a cheep motor or parts for a speedy repair, good luck

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 01:34 AM

If its an Onan, is it possible the coil went?. It was my understanding that you could lose half a coil on those.
Another thought is points and/or condenser... Hopefully an Onan guy comes along.

#5 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 01:59 AM

Take the cover off the air breather on top of the carb and make sure that all 3 screws are still holding the air breather to the carb I had the exact same problem and turned out that one of those screws came loose went through the carb and stuck the intake valve open which in turn caused the exact same symptoms you are having Its definitely worth a quick look if a screw is missing then its probably holding the valve open Several people have come across the same trouble

• limebuzz and sacsr have said thanks

#6 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 06:37 AM

As stated, check the throttle plate, and it could be the coil or the condensor.

Guy on MTF was having similar problem, his would run good when started then miss and choke at high rpm after it got warm. Ended up his condensor went out.

I've heard people have used dual Chevy coils on these since the double coil can be expensive.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 07:17 AM

Don't give up on it. A bit of troubleshooting may result in an easy fix. After checking the throttle plate as noted above I would look for broken, loose or burnt wires etc. I'd check for spark and make sure you have a nice blue snappy spark at both plugs. Have a look at the points and maybe check the timing. Make sure the battery is up to normal voltage etc. Give it a good once over. You may turn up the issue doing these basic checks. 

#8 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 07:56 AM

I suspect that the Ignition system got wet. I had to put new wires on mine and covered the coil up with a homemade cover made out of a plastic bottle, It ran so badly I thought it was a goner, Just melted snow in the wrong spot.

#9 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I suspect that the Ignition system got wet. I had to put new wires on mine and covered the coil up with a homemade cover made out of a plastic bottle, It ran so badly I thought it was a goner, Just melted snow in the wrong spot.

That's a great tip for any snow blowing unit.

Also, be sure to heed the warning to NEVER stick your hand in to clear a jam (even a shut down unit) since the stretched belt stores energy. They will take your hand off and you will have a dumb look on your face till you figure out how stupid that was.

Edited by MH81, December 21, 2013 - 05:54 PM.

• Luke said thank you

#10 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:56 AM

A compression check might tell you if it is a compression issue.Valve seats coming loose are a common problem on Onans.

• adolphsson09 said thank you

#11 adolphsson09 ONLINE  

adolphsson09
  • Member No: 9844
  • 249 Thanks
  • 316 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 02:17 PM

If you give up on this im sure you can part it out on here or sell it outright and make money on it cause there a lot of us looking for 1855 parts tractors These parts sell really fast on ebay that's why there are very few parts listed on ebay

#12 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for da suggestions y'all.  When I get time, I will tear into it to find the problem.  If it can be repaired, it will.  If eng. is toast, it will be replaced.  I had already replaced the coil with a new one, so coil I think is not the problem.  Spark plug or wire is what I'm hoping for.  Won't know until I have time, probably this spring.  Got way to many projects that need looked to first.

• MH81 said thank you

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 25, 2013 - 08:36 PM

I had the points box come loose once on my 1655.

• MH81 said thank you

#14 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 05:16 PM

Well, it 35 today so I decided to try to start her.  She finally started, but ran really bad.  I pulled the air filter cover off, started her again.  All the mount screws are still there.  While running, it appears as if one of the cylinders is blowing it's compression out the carb.  Either a seat dropped, or the intake valve is stuck open.  Do these Onan B48M engines have valves, or reeds?  I'm also curious now, how can one clyinder fire when the other cylinder is blowing all it's compression into it and also out the carb?

At $120 for the Onan mechanics to work on them in town, I just don't know what to do now.  I sure as heck not going to let them work on it.  Are these easy to repair?  I'm a back-yard mechanic, just not a small eng. mech.

Edited by FrozenInTime, December 27, 2013 - 05:18 PM.

#15 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted December 27, 2013 - 05:26 PM

I would find a set of head gaskets and crack it open.  One thing before you do, swap the spark plug lines and make sure the problem doesn't change sides.  Just a thought.

• Alc said thank you