Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Need Some Engineering Advice For Rim Fabrication.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I have a brain storm that I came up with, and I want to put it into action next Spring, but I'm not sure on some things, so I'm looking for some help or advice.

I'm going to take a set of standard garden tractor rims (7" x 12" rears / 3 1/2" x 8" fronts) and cut the faces out of all four of them, leaving me with the round band. For the rears, I have 3/16" think x 6" diameter x 4" length steel pieces of pipe (from interior basketball backstop supports) to use as the rear hubs, and will have rods welded into them, and the other end of the rods welded to the rim bands. Inside the pipe, will be a round steel disk that will be drilled for the lug nut layout to fit the hubs of my Deeres. 

As for the fronts, after I cut the face out of the rims, I will then cut the hubs out of the faces, so that I can reuse them to mount the rims after the rods are all welded into place. Confused yet? Basically, I'm wanting to make a set of round spoked rims for one of my garden tractors, and I want them to have rubber tires instead of cleats. 

My questions are this. First, what size rods would you use to make the spokes? I was thinking of using 3/8" round stock, but something is telling me to go with 1/2". What's your thoughts? Second question is, how many rods do you think I should use for the back rims, and how many should I use for the fronts? Third question is, I want the rods welded into the hubs and rim bands on angles to look like the old farm tractor rims, but what formula do I use in determining the degree of the angles?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:06 PM

I understand what You are trying to do.

For me, it depends on how many spokes you want. Is it going to be a single row of spokes or will they be laced in a pattern?

If laced in a pattern, I'd say 1/4" fronts and 3/8 rears. if single row, I'd go 1/2" Fronts and 3/4 rears.

BTW I think its a Great Idea and I want to see it.

Edited by Chopperhed, December 20, 2013 - 10:13 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:15 PM

Those rims will look good, Troy.  I love spokes.

I agree with Chopperhead.  Farm tractor spokes were never exactly thick.  Its the principle of a bicycle, a bunch of thin rods working together to hold the weight.  If you distribute the spokes right you shouldn't need anything thick. 

Angle would do well to match what the John Deere round spoke tractors used. 

http://www.oldtracto...tor_B_BR_BO.php

Ben W.

#4 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:17 PM

I'm wanting to do the laced pattern on the rears for sure. Being how tight the distance will be from the hub to the rim band on the fronts (roughly 1 1/2" - 2" length) I'll more than likely be limited to just a single. I will be using a smaller rod for the fronts, but do you think the 1/4" rods will look too small? What if I used 3/8" rods on the fronts, and 1/2" on the rears. Maybe too over bearing and will it look odd? I want these to look as close to the real deal as possible, and I'd like them to look professionally made. 

After I have the rods welded into place, and have the inside groove of the rim bands ground down smooth, do you suggest cutting a rubber inner tube, and running that around the rims, and then also using regular tubes to mount the tires? I thought I should probably use the cut tub to help protect the regular tube from any missed sharp edges from the rods coming through the rim bands.

#5 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:22 PM

That's exactly what I'm looking to fabricate Ben.  :thumbs:  Thanks for the post. 

In your post, I see there seems to be a build up around each rod where it attaches to both the rim and the hub. What are your suggestions for doing this? Just build it up with weld, or maybe thread a nuts on the ends, one on the inside of the rim band and the hub, and one on the outside of the rim band and the hub?

Thanks for the help guys!

#6 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 06:33 AM

Maybe this will give you an idea on how, just add more spokes to yours if you want more/smaller rod.

http://www.mytractor...1778&highlight=

• johndeereelfman, Arti, Chopperhed and 1 other said thanks

#7 TomLGT195 ONLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,795 Thanks
  • 2,192 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 08:45 AM

The link Tahoe sent looks like exactly what u need, good luck and I look forward to pics when you do it. As for tube ,I would use one as well as a rubber strap/ band over the welds just like bicycle rims. Tom

#8 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 03:44 PM

Maybe this will give you an idea on how, just add more spokes to yours if you want more/smaller rod.

http://www.mytractor...1778&highlight=

Really? Someone else already has done this? I was hoping to be the first one with this type of set up. Darn it! So much for having something unique and different.

Thanks Tahoe.

• MH81 said thank you