Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cub Cadet 1650 For $350

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Would this tractor be worth looking into? Don't know much about Cubs but from what I've
read, the 1650 is supposed to be a good one. It's about 50 miles from my house. It has a
broken front axle that the seller says can be welded, but I'd be afraid to try to weld it
since it's cast iron. Don't think it would hold up if welded. Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks, Don

http://atlanta.craig...4209020272.html

#2 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 543 Thanks
  • 366 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:40 PM

16 hp hydrolift , $350 runs with deck is a good price even with the broken front axle .

A broken axle is no big deal  , I had a cub that I used for years before I knew it had been welded .

If welded well and used in normal operation , it should hold up , I wouldn't  trust it if used as a loader tractor .

I probably have a couple of axles on the shelf if you end up buying it .

Its has either a 44 or 50 inch mower deck , I can't tell for sure which one from the picture .

I have a 1450 the 14 hp model and the major issues with the Quietline models are usually the rubber isomounts . The quietlines used rubber vibration isolators that when worn out causes the engine to rock and the side panels and hood to vibrate .

There not one of the better cub because of the isomounts , and they do sell a solid mount kit and there is a cradle upgrade that can help to eliminate a lot of the vibration if you were to go back with the rubber mounts .  

They also tend to be a little harder on the rubber driveshaft couplers than the other cubs . Probably because the engine moves a little because of the isomounts .

If it runs as stated , and was close , I'd be calling about it .

Edited by Jlaws, December 20, 2013 - 10:43 PM.

#3 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:05 PM

The 16hp motor is worth just the asking price itself! Anything else is just a bonus towards it. It appears to have the 50 inch cut deck on it which is another 200$. Other than replacing the front axle and seeing if the mounts are bad or not I would hurry and snatch it up before its gone!

#4 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:27 PM

That's a good price. Looks pretty near complete. Like Jess said, the front axle is no big deal. I just wonder how he broke it. They are built!!!

#5 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I guess now my next major hurdle is to convince my wife that I REALLY
REALLY need another tractor.

#6 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for all the input. I appreciate it. I guess now my next major hurdle is to convince my wife that I REALLY
REALLY need another tractor.

Remember...it's easier to ask for forgiveness that to ask for permission  :D :D :D

As for the axle, a GOOD welder can fix that with no problem.

#7 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 03:42 PM

I called about the tractor today and it's still available. Talked to the seller's wife and she couldn't tell me a lot about it. No other attachments come with it beside the mowing deck. He was originally asking $500 for it and has come down to $350. Don't think he'll negotiate much if any on that price. According to the seller's wife, the motor does run and doesn't smoke or knock. It's been sitting outside for about two months, probably uncovered.
What all should I be looking for when I go to look at it? I would want to hear the engine run. Is there any way I can check out the engine isomounts to see if they need to be replaced? Doesn't this tractor also have a hydraulic lift system? I know very little about hydraulics so is there anyway to check out the hydraulics?

Oh, by the way, I mentioned it to my wife and I think she may be agreeable. Anything to keep me busy and out of her hair.

Edited by dthomp17, December 21, 2013 - 03:43 PM.

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 21, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Figure on the mounts being bad. I think I paid 26$ for a new set for my 1450. When you start it up the best way to test is to use the lift. You could probably rock the tractor with the hydro lever as well. If its been sitting it may have take a couple cycles of the lift lever to make the deck work.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

#9 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 23, 2013 - 10:44 PM

To give you an update on the Cub 1650. I went to see it today and it wasn't in as good a condition
as it appeared to be in the craigslist pictures. More rust than I expected. The motor did run with no noticeable smoke and no knocking and it idled fairly smoothly. The hydraulic deck lift worked and the transmission would try to move the tractor even with a broken front axle. All of the tires are
weather checked pretty bad and the front tires needreplacing. There's no battery, the seat needs
some help (maybe a cover would do), the front axle had a bad worn place close to where it broke
possibly by rubbing of one of the mule drive pulleys (this was a "V" groove wear about 3/8" wide at the top and about 1/2 - 3/4" deep). The mowing deck is very rusty, no holes but significant pitting. Couldn't test the mowing deck spindles or the engine iso mounts. The sheet metal looked OK but was wired on and would need some attention. I'm sure there has to be a lot of other things wrong that I didn't see. I'm guessing I would need to spend an additional $200 just to get the tractor
operational. Probably still worth the asking price but a lot more work involved than I expected.
Didn't buy it yet, still thinking about it though and trying to figure what additional cost I would have for repairs and such. From the way he talked, I believe he would negotiatesome on the price.
Took a few more pictures if anyone would like to see them. Any additional thoughts or
suggestions????

He also has an old Ford and an old Case garden tractor that he would be willing to sell but they looked to be in much worse shape than the Cub. They were a lot smaller than the Cub and I know nothing about either so I didn't pursue them. To me they looked like parts tractors.

Edited by dthomp17, December 23, 2013 - 10:47 PM.

#10 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Your standards must be higher than mine. :lol: The seat doesnt matter heck some of mine don't even have the foam anymore. You already knew the front axle was junk. Most gts have pitting on the decks. The engine is good and the hydro seems good. That's the main thing. Tires arnt bad until tubes won't work. I've got tires that have cords showing and holes big enough to stick my thumb in but tubes are keeping them round. Ideal? No but used tires come up cheap all them time.

For perspective I paid 150$ for this. No battery, deck, engine, wiring, and all hydraulics had been removed. You've got a lot there and they are good gts. Just something to think about.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Attached Thumbnails

• uploadfromtaptalk1387891014296.jpg

#11 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:39 AM

I agree completely after thinking more about it. I have a Sears SS16 that looked a lot worse and was in worse condition than the Cub when I bought it, but I only paid $100 for it. After many many hours of work and hundreds of
dollars in parts I now have something to be proud of. Part of the fun and challenge of working with these old
tractors is bringing them back to a useful life and seeing the final results of your efforts.

One of my problems is I'll probably have to sell my old Sears Suburban 10 to make room for the Cub. It's been a
good tractor but a challenge sometimes to keep going. It was my first garden tractor and I've had it for close to
15 years. It's been a real workhorse but not in the same class as the Cub.

#12 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 10:44 AM

I just downloaded all the manuals I'll need for the Cub from the GTT manuals section. What a great resource.

#13 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:01 PM

Just wanted to give another update. I brought home the cub December 26th and have been working on it ever since. I Found another front axle and have already replaced the broken one. As is always the case, the tractor has more
issues than I originally found but so far nothing that can't be fixed fairly reasonable. I noticed that the muffler was loose and I found that the exhaust elbow was broken. New old stock is still available for about $50 - $60 but haven't found any used parts yet. Do any of you know if there any other options I could use?

If there's enough interest, I may start another thread in the "bringing back to life" process.

#14 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 02:19 PM

If there's enough interest, I may start another thread in the "bringing back to life" process.

Only if you promiss to post pictures...

:wewantpics:

#15 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

dthomp17

• 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted December 30, 2013 - 06:45 PM

I'll post as many pictures as I can. Need to identify all the issues before I start.