Tinkerer

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 259
  • 18 Thanks
  • 200 posts

Posted December 24, 2010 - 03:08 PM

I am looking at a Ford LGT 18H that a neighbor is offering to sell me. It is in good shape and comes with a mower deck. Not sure if it the 42" or 48" deck. The tractor starts and he mowed his yard with it all summer but wants to replace it with a zero turn mower. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these tractors, location of operator manuals and any other manuals, availability of accessories or anything about the tractor in general. I believe the tractor is either a 1988, 1989 or a 1990. He also said he would probably sell it to me for around $300. Is that a reasonable price? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,685 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 07:21 AM

Sorry I cant be of any help...

#3 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 08:22 AM

I can't help either,and I'm looking for a Ford LGT 165 or 195.
Good luck with YOUR quest.

#4 mastifflawyer OFFLINE  

mastifflawyer

Tractorholic

• Member No: 261
  • 43 Thanks
  • 162 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 09:26 AM

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about these tractors, location of operator manuals and any other manuals, availability of accessories or anything about the tractor in general. I believe the tractor is either a 1988, 1989 or a 1990. He also said he would probably sell it to me for around $300. Is that a reasonable price? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Jonathan

The 18H was made in '86-'87.It was made by Gilson and not Jacobson, so it does not have a tube frame. It came with an 18HP two cylinder Kohler. Operators and parts manuals are listed on ebay right now. Do a google search for accessories. Usually you have to call them New Holland to get search results. If that Kohler is running strong, $300 seems like an excellent price to me.

Here is a link to a parts supplier with parts diagrams.http://www.messicks....rts/NH/622.aspx

Edited by mastifflawyer, December 25, 2010 - 09:37 AM.

#5 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 10:33 AM

I would say the price is right if all runs and works well. I have a YT 18h. The YT stands for yard tractor. Not really a lawn tractor and not a garden tractor. The LGT was just before the YTs. The LGT is lawn and garden tractor. I would do the deal if it is in good shape. Good luck. Let us know how you make out.

#6 dryrun OFFLINE  

dryrun

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1559
  • 56 Thanks
  • 342 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 01:50 PM

Johnathan, prices vary across the country, but around here, If the tractor runs good, has decent sheet metal, tires up and usable, that price is not bad. But, you can still put on your poker face and offer 250.00, you can still come up.

My opinion, George

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 03:33 PM

Ground engagement capable alright.

[img]http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:dxEUNV9SEkcvMM:http://www.loaderandbackhoepics5.50megs.com/images/side_view_with_weight_box.450.jpg&t=1[/img]

[img]http://www.tractordata.com/ltphotos/F000/629/629-td3b2.jpg[/img]

#8 Rickski OFFLINE  

Rickski

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1538
  • 11 Thanks
  • 142 posts

Posted December 25, 2010 - 05:01 PM

If you buy it and decide it's not for you, contact me. If you decide, from the start you don't want it, contact me. I'm about an hour south of you. Sounds like a good deal to me.