3 replies to this topic

#1 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Ive got a generator that I plan on pulling the engine off.  I may add another engine I may make it into an attatchment.  How do I build a bearing plate for the side I pulled the engine off?  I know there isnt a bearing on that side and ill need one.   I also assume the diesel runs at lower rpms than a gas engine.  Do i need to match those rpms however I decide to mount it?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,743 Thanks
  • 7,515 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 02:48 PM

Unless you have access to an expert machinist I'd give that idea up. I've seen attempts at that but alignment problems usually kill the project. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 03:41 PM

It may be possible to source an end plate if the gen head was made in a 2 bearing version. You would have to check with the manufacturer or a service depot. It may be easier and cheaper to try to sell the head to someone who needs a good single bearing head and put the proceeds towards something else.  It's probably a 4 pole generator meaning that the engine needs to run at 1800rpm to get 60hz. At that rpm you need a bigger engine to drive it than you would at 3600. The Onan 5kw gen sets, for instance, use an engine that would be rated at 18hp or so if it ran at 3600. You could always gear it down somehow, but again, more work and expense. 

#4 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 04:27 PM

Thanks guys. It seems to be more work than I may be wanting to do it.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2