Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Vote Now Featured Tractor January 2014!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote Now Featured Tractor January 2014 (115 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Now Featured Tractor January 2014

1. Jacobsen Chief 1000 - Tommy Williamson (5 votes [4.35%])

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

2. Economy Jim Dandy - Rolan (9 votes [7.83%])

Percentage of vote: 7.83%

3. Bush Hog D4-10 - suburban 12 (3 votes [2.61%])

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

4. Power King 1214 - rustyoldjunk (3 votes [2.61%])

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

5. Massey 1650 - gtcsreg (4 votes [3.48%])

Percentage of vote: 3.48%

6. Bush Hog D4-10 - sacsr (25 votes [21.74%])

Percentage of vote: 21.74%

7. Shaw Du All N5 - cglisson01 (15 votes [13.04%])

Percentage of vote: 13.04%

8. Cub Cadet 129 - bgkid2966 (4 votes [3.48%])

Percentage of vote: 3.48%

9. John Deere Patio - sprucebluepatio (8 votes [6.96%])

Percentage of vote: 6.96%

10. Tractor Herd - tinbender7 (17 votes [14.78%])

Percentage of vote: 14.78%

11. Bolens 853 - farmerall (6 votes [5.22%])

Percentage of vote: 5.22%

12. Cub Cadet 102 - cjrolke (16 votes [13.91%])

Percentage of vote: 13.91%

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted December 05, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Voting for GTtalk Featured Tractor of the Month for the month of January 2014 has now officially started. This month's theme is "Decorated for Christmas" and open nominations.

The winner will be featured on the GTtalk Home Page for the entire month of January and in our Featured Tractor Section for infinity. 

We have 12 nominations this month. Let the Voting Begin!

• Jacobsen Chief 1000 - Tommy Williamson
  • Economy Jim Dandy - Roland
  • Bush Hog D4-10 - suburban 12
  • Power King 1214 - rustyoldjunk
  • Massey 1650 - gtcsreg
  • Bush Hog D4-10 - sacsr
  • Shaw Du All N5 - cglisson01
  • Cub Cadet 129 - bgkid2966
  • John Deere Patio - sprucebluepatio
  • Tractor Herd - tinbender7
  • Bolens 853 - farmerall
  • Cub Cadet 102 - cjrolke

Before voting please be sure to check out all the entries in the posts below.

• iron Mike, jd.rasentrac, Huskyfan and 3 others have said thanks

#2 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,222 Thanks
  • 1,754 posts

Posted December 08, 2013 - 06:35 PM

I would like to nominate my 1968 Jacobsen Chief 1000. I got this tractor from the second owner in October. This tractor is all original & nothing has been painted or anything like that. It had been sitting at an Allis-Chalmers dealer in southcentral PA since 1990 so about half of its life. The dealer got it as a trade-in where it had been sitting untouched since 1990. I went to look at it a couple of times before I bought it but we couldn't get it removed due to a Allis-Chalmers D-21 blocking its path.

In October when I went over to look at it again it was sitting outside & I couldn't believe my eyes. This was the first time the tractor was outside in 23 years! We got it loaded & brought it home. That evening we washed off the 42" deck & the tractor. That was when these pictures were taken. With a simple carb rebuild the tractor started up just fine. The engine runs like a top and there was no carbon buildup in the engine. Talk about good maintence! The gear shift knob was also stripped out so we tapped it out & put in a thread insert. The only thing that it's missing is the steering wheel cap. When I got the tractor I only paid $200 for it and put $15 in for the rebuild kit so I'm doing pretty good. My next project is to put a Century Fox hydraulc lift unit on it. I just wish people would take the the time to appreciate these tractors like we collectors do.

Jacobsen 1000 Front.JPG

Jacobsen 1000 Left.JPG

Jacobsen 1000 Rear.JPG

Jacobsen 1000 Right.JPG

Edited by Tommy Williamson, December 08, 2013 - 06:36 PM.

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 19 others have said thanks

#3 Roland OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10765
  • 31 Thanks
  • 12 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 12:26 AM

I would like to nominate my 1960 Economy Jim Dandy with a 19(FB) Briggs and Stratton Engine, (complete with an oil breathing filter). I received it from an Army buddy after OEF in 2004. She was stripped down missing the gas tank, plow blade, and the engine was frozen. I poured allot of penetrating fluid into the cylinder, than finally broke it loose using a tank bar of all things. I messed around with it for a few years, first purchasing a gas tank to see if it would run... Well it would run for about ten seconds, (or should I say run away) for about 10 seconds! So I gave up on it for awhile, not being able to find the correct parts, until  my brother in law (a master mechanic), and old farm boy, moved back home. He found the correct tires, paint, carburetor (as it turned out the flapper was in backwards). Then we did a complete rebuild and repaint, using as much original equipment as possible. I was very happy to finally complete a project that haunted me for nearly ten years. I have to be careful now, when switching gears not to pop wheelies: oh man that thing can really move! Thanks for maintaining this site, for us garden tractor enthusiasts. Roland Dell, U.S. Army (Ret.)

"Get Er started" 1960 Jim Dandy
tractor 012.jpg
Old Jim.jpg
Economy "Jim Dandy" tractor (1960)
Economy Jim Dandy (1960)
1960 Jim Dandy trile Run
tractor 008.jpg

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, bread320i and 18 others have said thanks

#4 suburban 12 OFFLINE  

suburban 12
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29382
  • 396 Thanks
  • 325 posts

Posted December 09, 2013 - 09:53 PM

I would like to nominate my Bush Hog D4-10. I bought it a few months ago with no seat, broken headlight, and not knowing if it ran or not. The guy I bought it off of said that he had it for about a year and didn't have time for it. He said that the guy he bought it off of didn't want to sell the seat for it that he was using on another machine. I got it home and it fired right up without much work. I thought I got lucky and got a rare tractor for a great price without any problems. I went to drive it and it made a horrible grinding noise and would only move if the clutch peddle was held in a certain spot. My brother thought that maybe it wouldn't move because the clutch was worn out and the noise was form a bad throw out bearing. I split the clutch housing and found more than I expected. I found the reason that it had originally been parked. At some point, someone had abused the tractor to the point of breaking the crank shaft on the outside of the engine were the clutch mounted to it. After finding that, I realized that I had bought a " running driving parts tractor" instead of a tractor with a bad clutch.

I also realized that I would have to put as much or more than I paid for it to get it running again. Luckily, my brother tends to be a bolens magnet and has a few spare Wisconsin engines sitting around. He offered to trade me one of his spare engines, saving me some of the cost. It had a factory TR10D(8hp) in it and I wanted to put a TRA10D(10hp) in it. For the crank, seat, and light, I got ahold of Scott(sacsr) and he was kind enough to part with some of his spare parts to help me save it form becoming a parts tractor. Rebuilding the engine is going to be my winter project and I will hopefully have done by spring. Now that my parts are here I can start the engine rebuild and get it working again. After I get it fixed, I plan to keep it in the collection and use it for a while until I eventually restore it.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1458.JPG
  • 100_1477.JPG
  • 100_1480.JPG
  • 100_1529.JPG
  • 100_1539.JPG
  • 100_1543.JPG
  • 100_1653.JPG

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse and 12 others have said thanks

#5 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,353 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 01:26 AM

I will nominate my 1988 Economy Power King 1214 "plastic king" tractor. I picked this tractor up from another local tractor enthusiast who owned it and used it to mow with for several years, in trade for two non running Case tractors, One being a model 155 that he wanted to restore. the tractor run and drove great when i got it from him but didn't appear to have had a bath in years. The tractor came with a 48 inch mower deck and a home made sleeve hitch.He had taken the draw bar off so he could make the sleeve hitch fit and still several months later hasn't found the sleeve hitch for me yet. I did recently pick up a factory style sleeve hitch for the tractor.

This is actually a big tractor as far as 12 inch wheel model tractors go. It had a 14 hp Kohler Magnum engine (has been swapped to a good running K301 12HP) shaft driven to a 2 speed hydro trans.

with hydraulic lift. Sitting on this tractor sets you above most other GTs with a nice high perch.This thing is surprisingly  FAST!!! On kind of a side note the model 1214 is a rare model. the 1212, 1217, and1218 models are more common.

This tractor had spent most of last summer sitting and not getting much attention since I spent most of my tractor time working on the other tractors. In the fall I finally got around to the Power King.It really only needed a couple things to be ready to go. I swapped a different set of front wheels and tires on it and replaced the solenoid. The tractor is a good strong running tractor. Chances are come spring this will probably be my mowing tractor and might possibly go to a plow day or two.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.jpg
  • 5.jpg
  • 09.jpg
  • 11.jpg
  • PK 1.jpg
  • pk 2.jpg
  • Pk 1214.jpg
  • pk 3.jpg

Edited by rustyoldjunk, December 10, 2013 - 11:17 AM.

• olcowhand, Gtractor, Texas Deere and Horse and 12 others have said thanks

#6 gtcsreg OFFLINE  

• Member No: 25875
  • 1,634 Thanks
  • 1,622 posts

Posted December 10, 2013 - 01:01 PM

I would like to nominate my Snapper/Massey 1650. This thing is fully ready for the Christmas season. As you can see by the photographs, it keeps Santa's runway all level and ready for landing. It handles hauling gifts to and from the elves' workshop to Santa's sleigh with ease. If Rudolf or one of his buddies goes down it's ready to lend a helping hand. Most importantly, on Christmas eve, when the snow is most assuredly going to come, it's ready and anxiously awaiting the opportunity to clear Santa's runway. It loves Christmas almost as much as I love the true meaning of Christmas!
Seriously, this is a tribute tractor to my Dad who passed away about seven years ago. He bought a brand new Massey 1650 with attachments in the spring of 1978. He dearly loved that tractor and all it could do. His 3 point hitch and Johnny Bucket got quite a workout. When I found this Snapper 1650 with Sears Snow-blower a year ago I knew it would fit the bill of what I needed around my little hobby farm. I was fortunate that mechanically it was in great shape. A new fuel filter and air filter and it runs great. I seriously have thought about putting a 3 point on it I just haven't been able to justify the expense. I did have to repaint it in honor of Dad to his Massey 1650 glory. The tires were just my guilty pleasure.
I want to wish all my GT loving friends out there a very merry Christmas season with all the joy God can bless you with.

Attached Thumbnails

• Crown grader 010.jpg
  • Crown grader 011.jpg
  • MF and Johnny 008.jpg
  • Snowblower reinstalled 003.jpg

Edited by gtcsreg, December 10, 2013 - 01:02 PM.

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Gtractor and 14 others have said thanks

#7 sacsr OFFLINE  

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,253 Thanks
  • 3,279 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 08:40 AM

This post has been promoted to an article

Attached Thumbnails

• bushhogwcart.jpg
  • d4areator7r.JPG
  • d4areator3.JPG
  • IMG_0363.JPG

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, bread320i and 16 others have said thanks

#8 cglisson01 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 48091
  • 261 Thanks
  • 151 posts

Posted December 13, 2013 - 09:51 PM

I would like to nominate my 1954 shaw du all model n5. This was my grandpa's tractor, he acquired it sometime in the 1980's and he used it to pull trailers around the yard doing his yard work, and he even plowed his garden with it. He passed away in 1996 and the tractor sat in the barn till 2008 when I became old enough to get it out and start restoring it. When I was working on it my dad told me how he almost scrapped it a few times because he thought it was a homemade tractor and didn't have much value. Now that we are active in the tractor hobby, we are sure glad he didn't scrap it.

In July of 2008 the restoration began. It was tore down completely, sanded, and put back together. I took the motor to a nearby lawnmower shop and had it completely rebuilt. I finished it a month in a half later just in time for the lanesville heritage weekend festival in Indiana. I don't use the tractor for anything but just to take to tractor shows, and it is a big hit at every one. If it wasn't for my grandpa buying this tractor in the first place, and my dad keeping it and letting me fix it up, I probably wouldn't even know that a great hobby like this even exists.

Attached Thumbnails

• a37404.jpg
  • 25415_105919559441427_131868_n.jpg
  • post-48091-0-77778800-1385693428.jpg

Edited by cglisson01, December 13, 2013 - 09:59 PM.

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse and 14 others have said thanks

#9 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,405 Thanks
  • 1,324 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 07:13 AM

I would like to nominate my Cub Cadet 129.

I acquired this tractor by chance when I was trying to find the David Bradley Suburban I used as a kid to mow and plow snow with. We did not own the DB. It was owned by our neighbor and he let us use it as long as we maintained it and plowed his snow. So, I contacted our old neighbor and he said the tractor is at my rental house and does not run. You can have it if you want to go get it. I went to his rental house and the tenant said that tractor was under water for a week after the flood. A friend and I headed to the garage and there sat my 129. It had a mower deck and yard cart with it.

We dragged it out and brought it home. It was in surprisingly good condition in appearance. The engine was full of water and had stacks of washers on all the head bolts.  :(  With a quick overhaul and carb cleaning the K301 fired right up. Then it would only move about 3 feet then stop. Hydrostatic drive was new to me then and I was lost. After a little investigation I pulled the filter and the oil tube on the trans and it was full of ice. Trans was then drained and refilled and the 129 moved along nicely. I put an electric winch on the front and modified a snow plow from a Toro to fit.  I have been using this for pushing snow every year since 2000 and it has been perfectly reliable except for breaking one pin in the driveshaft. I have supplies to make lead wheel weights(Thanks for the idea Kenny). I am also going to remove the balance gears before winter. 

There are no further plans yet....Until my brain gets going!!

post-8254-0-33160100-1376148604_thumb.jp  post-8254-0-24513000-1376148632_thumb.jp

post-8254-0-84648100-1376148613_thumb.jp  post-8254-0-78681900-1376148654_thumb.jp

post-8254-0-19346900-1376148623_thumb.jp  post-8254-0-63801900-1376148661_thumb.jp

post-8254-0-20033400-1376148689_thumb.jp    post-8254-0-06824500-1376148741_thumb.jp

Thank you for reading.

#10 sprucebluepatio OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 29373
  • 18 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 05:10 PM

I would like to nominate my 1969 John Deere Spruce Blue patio series. I would like to nominate it because it is my pride and joy. I'm 15 and while my friends are out trying to get a date, I'm out doing something with my john deere. I bought the tractor last February and got it running not to long after. I took it to my first two shows this past summer and had a blast dispaying my own tractor. I have plans of fully restoring it someday but right now I'm taking small steps and putting money into it whenever I can. I have met many people and gained many friendships through my garden tractor such as Kate Goelzhauser,the managing editor of Lawn and Garden Tractor Magazine . I have learned so much about garden trators and general restoration in the past year and I'm very thankful for that. My favorite part about having the tractor is when people se it and ask why its white and blue or when people tell me stories of when they owned one.

While at the show many people asked how a 15 year old got an original patio series and that's when I tell them the story. My Grandpa has been taking me to the local tractor show for a couple years and I fell in love with garden tractors from the start. I was cruising craigslist late one night and found an ad for a patio series, as most people would have I clicked on. I saw they only wanted $250 for it, I was in shock that it was that cheap. after a couple weeks we worked out a deal for $200. I found out that it had been in the same family since it was new. My grandpa and I spent some time on it getting it running, then tires, then belts, and many other parts. It has became something for me to do with My Grandpa and has became My pride and joy.

The picture that was on the craigslist ad.
photo 1
photo 2
photo 3
photo 4
Thank You,

Edited by sprucebluepatio, December 14, 2013 - 05:25 PM.

#11 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,112 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted December 14, 2013 - 11:50 PM

I wouldl like to nominate my herd of tractors. There are 7 of them front to back are 2 Ford 100's, next row are 2 Ford  LGT 165's, 1 open side, & 1 closed side, next row John Deere 165 & Sears GT18, and the last 1 is  Ford 600 with Santa onboard.all lined up like Santa and his 6 tiny tractors. I have not seen them fly, but they all run and where driven around the house for the pictures.

I have redone what needs to be done on must of them. The Ford 600 belonged to my late son and has been redone in his memory. 1 of the 100's is complete and the other 1 is very close. The LGT 165 open side is complete, & the closed sided 1 has not been started on yet. it runs and don't look to bad and I had shoulder suregy so it will be awhie before it is painted. The John Deere was given to me by my uncle who bouhjt it new and all it needed was a good clean up & I will keep it origanal .The Sears GT18 all it needed when I got was paint which it has , black and grey clear coat. I use it to mow with in the summer , buit take the mower deck off and put a mold board plow on it , and it has AG's on the rear for the shows we have down here,it draws a lot of attention.

I did not get all lights on them for Chtistmas that will be next weekend, but did not want to left out

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_9651.JPG
  • IMG_9652.JPG
  • IMG_9653.JPG
  • IMG_9654.JPG
  • IMG_9655.JPG
  • IMG_9658.JPG

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, josh deaven and 12 others have said thanks

#12 farmerall ONLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,132 Thanks
  • 1,434 posts

Posted December 15, 2013 - 03:09 PM

I would like to nominate my 1973 Bolens 853 tractor. I bought this tractor from the owner of a small OPE shop that I found one day when I was just driving around. One day I was talking to him and he said that he had an old Bolens tractor in his garage at home that he was planning on selling after he brought it to his shop. From that point on I knew I wanted to buy it and I bugged him about the tractor for the next year and a half to two years until he had time to haul it to his shop.

When I bought the tractor it didn't run because it had no spark. Luckily I had a parts engine with good ignition parts and swapped them into the Bolens engine. After I did that the engine back to life and ran great. Overall the tractor is in great shape for its age and you can tell it has been well cared for. Personally I think it's one of the nicest Bolens 853 tractors left that is still original.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_4470.JPG
  • IMG_0061.JPG

• olcowhand, rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse and 9 others have said thanks

#13 cjrolke OFFLINE  

• Member No: 5861
  • 94 Thanks
  • 45 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:09 PM

I want to nominate my cub cadet steel wheel tractor

I had picked up a rough Cub Cadet 102 that was missing a few parts to use as a parts machine for the rest of my fleet of cubs.   The tractor was basically complete minus the dash and steering column. The front axle mount had been cut off of the tractor.

I was surfing on the internet and had seen a couple of Cub Cadet Originals on full steel wheels and really liked the look. I have also seen a few tri-cycle garden tractors and liked the idea but I had never seen the 2 combined. Then the idea hit me why not build one?

I spent 2 years planning on building this tractor, and 6 months of work to create what you see here

cub cadet steel wheel

cub cadet steel wheel 2

cub cadet steel wheel 3

I had to convert the tractor from a tall tunnel to a short tunnel tractor the wheels are all owner fabricated, I had a friend of mine do all of the welding for me.  the tractor has a 7 hp motor in it. each rea wheel weighs 48 lbs and the tractor is only 1.5" taller than stock.

the tractor is fun to drive on grass but you need to avoid concrete driveways for obvious reasons :rolling:

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 05:49 PM

Let the voting begin. :D

• Texas Deere and Horse, Littledeere, Huskyfan and 1 other said thanks

#15 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,462 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 05:53 PM

What a GREAT bunch of GTs this month. I got my vote in!!

• MyBolens1053 said thank you