• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 03:14 PM

So comes a time when your working on your project and you think about your power situation. Do you plan to keep things original from the factory? Or put something in its place makes you smile? For instance, on ol' red (aka mtd 990) it came with a 10hp kohler. If I can find a small 3cylinder Kubota im putting it in its place. Something about rolling coal when your doing chores with it :thumbs:. What do you look for when you repower?

• Arti said thank you

#2 farmerall OFFLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 03:22 PM

I haven't done a repower yet but I am thinking about doing one soon. For me right now it just comes down to I have the stuff to do it and I didn't pay a lot for it. I would love to do a diesel repower but right now that's not a possibility for me due to the cost of a diesel engine.

• Dieselcubmike said thank you

#3 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 03:39 PM

if i repower something i dont want to ever run outta power and i try and make it look as close to factory as possible

#4 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,630 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 04:33 PM

My main goal is always to have it "appear" as though it came factory with the new engine.  That can't always be accomplished, but I try my best.  I just don't like the "cobbled" look.  That said, I don't always succeed to avoid it.

As to the "make you smile" factor.....well ABSOLUTELY! 

• Dieselcubmike and superspeedex have said thanks

#5 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 05:36 PM

Never put Budget on a Diesel re-power I Stopped counting around $1300 (Gets there Quick) with my Bolens Kubota project.. And Its not even Really done..

#6 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 06:29 PM

"Re-power' always is a bad word in my books ...

As most of you know, I am an all original Guy and will do anything possible to keep the original engine running.

If worst comes to worst I am all for finding another engine that goes in with little to no modifications. The "Frankenstein" look by most re powers just looks messy and unappealing to me.

Well, thats my 2 cents on the issue :thumbs:

• Bob IN and superspeedex have said thanks

#7 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,723 Thanks
  • 8,906 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I don't have the skill set to do a re-power with anything other than a bolt-in replacement. If I did, I never would of sold this:

http://minneapolis.c...4184215912.html

(That ad is from the person who bought it from me. It had a Kubota D950 21.5 hp 3 cylinder diesel)

00j0j_lFAhjYZCxbk_600x450.jpg

#8 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:26 PM

I'm usually for putting back in the original power plant if possible , especially if its a rarer model tractor .

But I'm also guilty of going considerably larger on some of my pet projects  , like putting a 20 hp Magnum in place of the 7 hp kohler that came in the  cub Original , just to see if it could be done . :D

I don't see a problem as long as it doesn't look all cobbled together .

Mike , I also have a MTD 990 and there is quite a bit of room under the hood for a larger powerplant . I have the original 16 hp briggs in mine , which is physically a rather large single cylinder .  I also have a considerably larger 23 hp Onan Performer sitting on the shelf that I was kicking around the ideal of dropping in for a while , but decided against it after I found out the 16 Briggs ran great  .

Its your tractor , do whatever makes you happy . To me that's the whole point of this hobby .  

Edited by Jlaws, December 19, 2013 - 10:30 PM.

• olcowhand and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#9 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,483 Thanks
  • 5,013 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:59 PM

A diesel conversion can be done reasonably if your willing to look around and find a deal. I have yet to pay over $400 for an engine and the last one, Kubota D950, was $200. Just don't get in a hurry and be ready to jump when you find a deal. 

One thing to consider is do you have the room to install a larger engine. Is the frame and drive-train of the tractor strong enough to handle the added torque of a larger engine? Will the tractor be able to handle the chores you are planning for it after your done?

Do you have the equipment and skills to complete the project? Hiring out machining and welding will get expensive in a hurry.

Air cooled is pretty simple. Water cooled a lot more involved. New radiators are expensive and one to fit your available space 

might be hard to locate. 

Gas or Diesel be honest with yourself and make a list of what's needed to complete the project and what the cost of those parts is going to be. You will be a lot happier with the finished project if it comes out within your planned budget. 

Above all have fun!  :thumbs:

Edited by Cvans, December 20, 2013 - 12:24 PM.

#10 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 12:21 AM

I just like to see if anybody else sits around and wonders about doing a repower like I do. Doesn't have to be a diesel or an onan or anything like that. I even thought about a 350 small block chevy powered tractor :D

• superspeedex said thank you

#11 Dane in PA ONLINE  

Dane in PA

Dane in PA

• Contributor
  • Member No: 9535
  • 502 Thanks
  • 583 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have a single-cylinder diesel I shoved into a Cub Original.  No mods to the tractor at all, but I'd have to modify the engine to fit it under the hood, and I couldn't do that to a brand new engine.   It's sitting under my desk, waiting to be put into something or for someone to take it off my hands that will putt it in something.

#12 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I just like to see if anybody else sits around and wonders about doing a repower like I do. Doesn't have to be a diesel or an onan or anything like that. I even thought about a 350 small block chevy powered tractor :D

thought about it but i want to do it in like a john deere 2010 that way you can somewhat use the power and those jds had a bad spell for a little bit

#13 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:21 AM

I dont mind any conversion/update, unless it involves a real poor hood hack,, I just dont care for major hacking of the original tins.

#14 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 01:15 PM

As long as you have the room and you don't need to annihilate the frame or any part of the sheet metal id say go for it.

#15 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted December 24, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Every 3 or 4 weeks I browse eBay, etc. for diesel engines.  When I replace the K582 in my Bolens HT23, I want to put a diesel in it.  I've seen numerous great jobs from other site members putting in water cooled diesels--but they look like a lot of work and expense.

Just today on eBay I noticed a company selling Chinese 22 hp V-twin air Cooled engines for under $1,500.  I know the ChiClones used to be a dice roll as to quality and longevity.  Anyone have any experience with the new V-twins?

Smitty