• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 02:47 PM

I have seen some online tutorials of how to replace the brake band by dropping the transmission in the ST16 garden tractors. Anyone know how long (hours) wise it is to do brake replacement on one?

I know it depends on skill level, but assuming I know what I am doing is this a half day job or a two day job. Trying to figure out if I should tackle it before I start plowing snow, or if I should give it a whirl without brakes! :)

• iron Mike said thank you

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Well, I can say, I've been runing my 16/6 for about 2 yrs with minimal brakes, basically the steel band is all I have.

I was going to actually pull rear and change it out and do a tutorial write up a few weeks ago, but it go really cold the day I was going to do it and went by the way side.

With that said, I have pulled the rear out of my ST16 I am restoring and it can be a job. I pulled it with the rear hitch plate attached which I thought was easier, but there are two bolts up on top in front of seat mount that can be a bear to get to, the nuts on the back side require you to have small hands and be a contortionist to get to.

Let me think.....

*remove shifter knob

*2 bolts under seat

*brake rod up front disconnected from pedal

*high/low shifter rod disconnect from rear end under back seat- this one can be a bear too.

-Remove cotter key off shaft in rearend

*drive belt- slide off motor first or once rear is out, slide rear forward, then remove belt keeper off *tranny and remove.

*unbolt Ebrake lever off left side. ( make sure it gets lined up as tranny is sliding back up in, bear to

do afterwards)

*3 bolts on each side inside/under fenders.

*Then deal with brake band once rear is out.

There I think that is about it, took me maybe an hour and half getting rear back up in and bolted in. Those upper two bolts by shifter/seat are a bear, did I say that already? I would say allow easily 3 hours, maybe four if you need a few throw the tools/punch the wall mental break. :wallbanging:  :D

I already have a spare brake band ready to go, cleaned up and new pad glued in place. Once I do it, I will be able to just unbolt, replace, then throw rear back in.

471_zps7a207487.jpg

I highly recommend changing rear end oil while it's out, sooooo much easier when you tip it up!!!!!

photobucket-23989-1369356173122_zpse9e2c

Edited by TAHOE, December 19, 2013 - 03:30 PM.

• MH81, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#3 Jcwilde1 OFFLINE  

Jcwilde1
  • Member No: 49116
  • 40 Thanks
  • 19 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 03:56 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing this. If it takes you 3 - 4 hours then I think it will take me 8! But that gives me a starting point :)  I had talked to a local guy who repairs tractors and he said it was too big of a repair to tackle. Said it would take him 12 - 16 hours in all. It didn't sound right when I looked into what needed to be done. So figured I would ask. At least it sounds like something I can do myself.

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:52 AM

12-16 Hours? Man, I can tear one completely apart in less time that that.

It's not a super "bad" job, just take your time and have patience. As I said the two bolts by seats/shifter are the worst just becuase they are tight to get to from under tractor. If you have an extra person, might help. one to hold a wrench up on nuts from underneath, the other to use ratchet to remove bolt up top...I did it all myself :wallbanging:

The other rough one is that cotter key that hold the hi/low shifter to rear end. I think I actually used some long nose plies to pull it out going through the little slot between frame and rear hitch plate.

• Alc and Marlin1963 have said thanks

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,288 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted December 22, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Thanks Tahoe. I need to drop a couple rears for various reasons. Nice to have a checklist.
  • TAHOE said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brake band, st16