• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:57 AM

I acquired a cub 76 a few weeks ago and it is kind of interesting how cub veered away from their standard design and went with something cheaper. I kind of like it but it is extremely small!

it boasts an 8hp briggs that was ceased, so i found another one for 40 bucks that was off an old toro 32-8 that runs perfectly.

My dilemma was that al the components for the deck were shot but the deck is in really good shape, and the hood fiberglass was broken at the hinges like they usually do. 

so the question was, make it work again and mow or have a little fun. i decided fun.

It has a huge transmission like the one in the sears suburbans so i only thought of one thing.

PULLEY SWAPS AND PUSH BUTTON START!

yes, i swapped the pulleys and made it a little trotter! i can hit about 12-14 mph in 3rd, but Im gonna try to get it at 20-25 in 3rd. I want to put a 16-18hp briggs opposed on it and make it fly.

I have hit a snag though. i think the differential portion of the tranny is bad or not shimmed right because when i turn it makes a terrible grinding noise. so that is the next part of the build.

I plan on  making this thing amazing and fun!

I will post pictures this weekend.

Thoughts, Comments?

#2 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:51 AM

Sound's like a fun little project,  some times you have to dare to be different and do what makes YOU happy.   :thumbs:

• CubHorse80 said thank you

#3 oldironmm OFFLINE  

oldironmm
  • Member No: 32034
  • 9 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 02:04 PM

Yes please do post pictures. Sounds like a fun project. I have felt your pain with the decks on those small cubs, one of the deck spindles on my 382 came apart mowing. Had to clean up threads on the spindle and build a new cover. Could not find new parts for it. Mows good and like mowing with it. Get little mower for my boys to learn to now with. :-)