• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • Member No: 51663
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:08 PM

Hey all.  Yup, I am new to the site (thanks to all the welcomes from the meet and greet forum).  I am the new owner of a 1968 Sears SS12 that needs some love.  After searching around, I found my way here.  But enough about that.

I am interested in learning how to bring this beast back to life....if even feasible and/or worth it.

make:  Sears SS 12

model: 917.25311

Engine: Tecumseh 10hp Chore King (definite replacement)

Accessories: Plow blade and wheel weights only

What I'd like to do:

1.  Repaint

2.  Restore hood from the chop job

3.  Fix exhaust so it doesn't exhaust under hood

Pics:

SS1202.jpg  SS1204.jpg  SS1205.jpg  

SS1206.jpg  SS1207.jpg  SS1210.jpg  

SS1211.jpg  SS1212.jpg  

• Gtractor, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 1 other said thanks

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:18 PM

Looks like somebody really had their way with that hood :wallbanging:

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 02:45 PM

Welcome to the madness, err, I mean forum! 

Yea, not sure why they hacked hte hood like that, doesn't look like there is anytihng to interfere with it causing the need for the hacking.

While I like red tractors, that one should not be. Color should be a medium blue with white hood/etc.

If you search enough, you may come up with someone parting one and have a good hood. Maybe even a used 12 Hp motor too.

Exhaust can easily be modded to exit where ever you want, just some pipe and maybe a welder

I too have a 68 SS12, mine still has original HH120 Tecumseh in it.

Here's mine when I brought it home, worked hard all it's life, it's what started me into GT's. I inherited it, maybe someday I will actually get around to restoring it and getting it running again.

100_0475.jpg

• HDWildBill and Dpregs have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 05:09 PM

I think it is usually worth while to bring old iron back to life.  As Tahoe said the exhaust shouldn't be a problem. You may be able to find a new, to you, hood.  Check with our sponsors and see what they have. Are you wanting to replace the engine with the same model that came in the tractor?

• Dpregs said thank you

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:26 PM

Sears easy to find parts for, go to swapmeets in summer.  Biggest issue with the Tec engines are the ones with electronic ignitions, or Solid State I think they say on label. IF you don't have that, just has points and should be OK and easier to fix. Get some manuals, here or somewhere. Even Sears Parts has some parts pages shown on their site.  One of hardest things I found on mine was removing the pedals, shafts and linkages to all the controls in chassis. Lots of stuff there, lots of rust holding strong and PIA to remove. Take your time and lots of penetrant and light heat will help. I could get set bolts out of the parts, but parts didn't move. There are even many that have keys in the shafts, which makes it stick harder. Good luck, these are strong machines.

• Dpregs said thank you

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:55 PM

I would definitely check the Site Sponsors for a hood,
The exhaust will be interesting, but should be doable. If you are going to unmod that hood, maybe even a straight pipe?
  • Dpregs said thank you

#7 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 08:43 AM

Welcome to the madness, err, I mean forum! 

Yea, not sure why they hacked hte hood like that, doesn't look like there is anytihng to interfere with it causing the need for the hacking.
While I like red tractors, that one should not be. Color should be a medium blue with white hood/etc.
If you search enough, you may come up with someone parting one and have a good hood. Maybe even a used 12 Hp motor too.
Exhaust can easily be modded to exit where ever you want, just some pipe and maybe a welder

Not sure why they hacked the right side of the hood, doesn't seem to be anything in way. Left side is hacked around the air filter.
Blue huh. Not a hint of blue anywhere on the tractor. The whole thing is red with gold pin stripes.

I think it is usually worth while to bring old iron back to life.  As Tahoe said the exhaust shouldn't be a problem. You may be able to find a new, to you, hood.  Check with our sponsors and see what they have. Are you wanting to replace the engine with the same model that came in the tractor?

Nah, The engine runs fine. The carb needs a good clean, and it needs some adjustment because it will over rev. But, it starts right up. I do need a battery cage/box. Not sure how the original held the battery down.
Site sponsors the ones up top in that first part of the forum?

Sears easy to find parts for, go to swapmeets in summer.  Biggest issue with the Tec engines are the ones with electronic ignitions, or Solid State I think they say on label. IF you don't have that, just has points and should be OK and easier to fix. Get some manuals, here or somewhere. Even Sears Parts has some parts pages shown on their site.  One of hardest things I found on mine was removing the pedals, shafts and linkages to all the controls in chassis. Lots of stuff there, lots of rust holding strong and PIA to remove. Take your time and lots of penetrant and light heat will help. I could get set bolts out of the parts, but parts didn't move. There are even many that have keys in the shafts, which makes it stick harder. Good luck, these are strong machines.

I will have to see if there are swap meets around here, not sure where to even begin to look. Points or solid state...I posted a pic of the label...I still need to find more info on it though.
Not much rust on the critical parts of the tractor. Don't think I will be using too much penetrant luckily.

I would definitely check the Site Sponsors for a hood,
The exhaust will be interesting, but should be doable. If you are going to unmod that hood, maybe even a straight pipe?

Unmod the hood? You mean restore to original? Not sure. I saw tecumseh quiet muffler on some site, was going to look at that. I really just want to exit the exhaust from under the hood, not sure what the original had.

As for the plow, I definitely want to spruce it up after the season. Ideas on refurbing that? Paint all the parts? I was thinking of sanding off what I could and then painting it black. But...you guys know more than me :)

Thank you all again!
Doug

Edited by Dpregs, December 19, 2013 - 08:45 AM.

#8 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:47 AM

They did make a '68 "suburban" that was orange, but your model number and the wood grain dash tells me you truly do have an SS12 and should be blue and white. Below is a stock pic of what it did look like at one time....

http://www.vintagese...s/1968ss12b.jpg

That motor is a newer one, most likely after the solids state modules went to the way side and it looks like it is clocked 90* from the original. I would say it probably came from a snow blower or even rear tiller. The original had the carb/intake directly behind grill, exhaust shot out the right side.

Not sure if you can see by my pics, but battery had a flat strap across battery and two threaded rods with wing nuts that hooked down under battery tray. You could make up something pretty easily.

Here are a couple pics of my tractor as it sits.

100_0481.jpg

100_0477.jpg

100_0609.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, December 19, 2013 - 09:50 AM.

• trowel, Sawdust and 68chevyguy have said thanks

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,702 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:26 AM

Site sponsors the ones up top in that first part of the forum?

Yes.

#10 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:29 PM

So, the tires continue to go flat. These are tubes right? They are original tires, any advice on how to replace the tubes?

#11 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 01:30 PM

Like mentioned check with our sponsors first on the hood. If they can't help you here are some on ebay that might work for you.

http://www.ebay.com/...cat=0&_from=R40

Tires can be very tuff to break down on old wheels because of rust & corrosion. They are several videos on youtube showing how it's done. If the tires aren't too bad as far as cracks go then tubes would be good if not just replace the tires.

• Dpregs said thank you

#12 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,659 Thanks
  • 6,470 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 05:09 PM

How about a little diff color than others have?? Here's a shot of one I made 2 yrs ago.

Attached Thumbnails

• MM EX 004.jpg
  • MM EX 005.jpg

#13 Dpregs OFFLINE  

Dpregs
  • 72 Thanks
  • 100 posts

Posted January 22, 2014 - 12:44 PM

Finally had to break down and replace the belt....not fun because after buying the 5/8" x 81" belt....and getting it threaded through ...... it isn't the right size. Probably because it is a replacement engine. SO....back into the snow I went and purchased an 85" which worked. Problem is, if I shift too quickly, the belt jumps off and gets wedged between the pulley and the engine block and billows smoke. Will have to find a way to fit a belt guide on it.

But....the real purpose of the post is that as I found myself underneath the chassis trying to feed the belt, I noticed that every inch of the tractor is painted red. There is not even a hint of blue ANYWHERE on the machine. IS it possible that there was a red version with gold pinstriping?

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,609 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 06:10 AM

To my knowledge, the only version of that tractor that might have been OEM red was the Roper version. The hood and grill say it isn't that tho.