#1 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 9923
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:40 AM

I got a '75 300 a little while back. Got it running and had problems with the RPM's being way to high. It would hit 3600 at around half throttle. So I went through and reset the governor and replaced the spring with the correct one from the dealer. The max RPM's have dropped but are still set too high. Also with the new spring, when the throttle is at idle the spring is bent some and binding. I automatically looked at the cable and figure maybe it is too long and not set right. I ordered a new cable and received it today. What I'm looking for is someone with a similar tractor. I need a pic of where the cable attached on the governor end. One pic with the lever at idle and the other with the lever all the way up. I'm thinking the cable support down at the engine is also not original causing my crazy engine speed and misadjusment. Anyone willing to post a pic of their's? Thanks in advance.

Eric

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Here's what is in the manual. Hope this helps. I've had trouble adjusting it on a 314 as well. 

300 kohler carb linkage adjustment.png

• dropped82 said thank you

#3 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:43 PM

I appreciate the help JDBrian, but that doesn't show what I need. There is a lever that both the throttle cable and the governor spring attach to on the engine. That is what I need pics of. Unfortunately, without knowing exactly what has been changed on this, its a crap shoot. I think its gonna be a long night.

Eric

#4 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 02:43 AM

Well.....I fought and fought with adjusting everything to no success. I said "screw it" and pulled the engine. Only thing I can guess is the problem is internal. Got most of it dismantled and pulled the pan. Looked inside and saw the governor gear staring at me. With the engine upside down the gear was facing up! Which is kind of a relief since I pretty much exhausted the outside adjustments. So tomorrow I will pull the internals and put the gear back to where it is supposed to be. I was also thinking of removing the balance gears permantely. I was wondering what everyone thought of that? They seem loose on the shafts which tells me there is some wear on them. Should I?

Eric

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 02:42 PM

DROP THE GEARS!   If already loose, a time bomb just waiting.

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 03:05 PM

DROP THE GEARS!   If already loose, a time bomb just waiting.

:ditto:

#7 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 04:10 PM

DROP THE GEARS! If already loose, a time bomb just waiting.

I'm definitely removing them. Right now I have the puller sitting on the flywheel and also have it soaking. It doesn't want to budge. This won't take long once the flywheel is off. Appreciate the help everyone. It is actually a sigh of relief now that I see what the problem is. Especially since I've been pulling my hair out (not literally, I'm bald lol) trying to adjust it all. I'm guessing these weights are the noise I had while it was running. The rod is tight and everything else looks good.

Eric

#8 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,604 Thanks
  • 3,752 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 05:32 PM

Eric,

I am glad to see you are getting somewhere on this and are pulling those gears.  Remember you will need to up the idle to like 1800 rpms to eliminate the Kohler shake on the 14.  

#9 dropped82 ONLINE  

dropped82

Nut Case

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 1,401 Thanks
  • 1,230 posts

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Eric,

I am glad to see you are getting somewhere on this and are pulling those gears. Remember you will need to up the idle to like 1800 rpms to eliminate the Kohler shake on the 14.

Now if that darn flywheel will come off, I can get this done. I planned on setting the idle around that. JD calls for a 2000+ idle with the gears in. I thought that was a little high but given its a hydro, may not be too far off. Wish me luck.

Eric