3 replies to this topic

#1 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,283 Thanks
  • 6,488 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:33 AM

I've never used a Gravely walkbehind only  my DB one with "clicker hubs" and the other with the locking rear . When plowing snow with the one with the locking rear it's kind of a pita if your turning a lot though having reverse is better the clicker hud w/o reverse . What does the Gravely use in there rears ? Are they hard to steer ?

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:16 AM

If was going to be needing to steer a Gravely in close detail, I would invest in a steering brake.  It hooks up to the wheels and brakes them like an ag tractor so you can steer tight.

Ben W.

#3 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,688 Thanks
  • 2,910 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:28 AM

The Gravely walk-behinds use a solid axle with an automotive style differential.  Instant powered forward and reverse are available with the handlebar mounted lever.  A Gravely will spin within it's own footprint if you wish.  If all you want to do is make sharp turns, you will need to master feathering the Fwd/Rvs handle to apply a small amount of power to the wheels as you are turning, it helps almost like having power steering.  In my opinion, you do not need the individual brakes unless you regularly mow across hillsides with a heavy deck out front like the kidney 40 or larger.

• superaben said thank you

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,384 Thanks
  • 3,807 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 10:06 AM

I haven't used a DB for pushing snow but have used a clicker hub tractor of some brand - likely Simplicity M1. 

The Gravely walk behind is soooo much better.  Even though there is no posi-trac the Gravely weighs so much more traction wasn't a problem.  They do get noticeably harder to steer with a dual wheel setup.  As big as the blade is on the walking Gravely you really need a dually kit.   I ran duals with car tire chains shortened and the chains went over both tires of the dually setup.  The Gravely dually spacer is cast iron and 50 lbs. each. [i think]  Used that for several years until I got a blade for my 1107 Panzer.  Really thought I had something because there was a seat on the 1107.  Ran that for a couple winters until I got a Power King with hydraulic lift. 

Now I want to get a blade for my Case 446 because it is hydraulic drive with hydraulic lift.

I'm gettin' soft in my old age!  :thumbs:

Edited by Gtractor, December 18, 2013 - 10:08 AM.