• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#31 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:03 AM

if we all keep an eye open for local shows that have camping available on site or near by would probably work and then compile a list of possible places to meet then we can vote on the location in another poll. My self im willing to drive with in 2hrs maybe 3 away from home for a weekend of camping and meeting other members

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#32 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • Member No: 19713
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:44 AM

This is an awesome idea. To get together as a sort of family would be amazing!

#33 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:29 PM

So the way I read this, Troy is volunteering to arrange everything, right? :D

Jim,

I don't have a problem with that, but there will be times when I'll need some help, so seeing how you and I are only a half hour drive apart, guess who the first person will be that I come to?  :poke:

Edited by johndeereelfman, December 19, 2013 - 12:57 PM.

• backwoods said thank you

#34 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:48 PM

Wow, you guys are coming up with some really good ideas. I think what I'll do after the poll runs it's two weeks, is compile a list of all the "active" members that are willing to or interested in attending these gatherings, and find out locations of these members, to determine some neutral meeting areas. After we decide on an area, or areas, then I'll contact one or two of the members surrounding each of these areas, and ask them to search around for an area that we may be able to use. I'd also like to see some of those members try to contact other members in the area that might not have logged onto the site for a while, just as a way of inviting them back so to speak.

It appears that motel logging will need to be necessary, so we'll have to keep that in mind in doing our search plus enough land for trailer parking. We will also have to make sure that we'll be able to make and burn a fire with the area township or county. Don't need any of us getting fined! 

I was thinking too, and was wondering if any of you guys like to fish? Maybe we could find an area with a stream, lake or pond, and do a little fishing? Preferably somewhere that we won't need a licence, like a private spot. I don't know, just an idea.

#35 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Thing is, if you have a GTtalk gathering at another event, it attracts new members.   :thumbs:

You are right Daniel. Plus, it's another way for us to get people to see that Garden Tractor collecting is in full swing right now. We just have to make sure we have enough tractors attending, so that we can draw enough people into our gathering. 

Might be a good idea to plan on bringing extra food and drinks, so that we can offer the non members to stay and mingle with us in the evening, so that they can get to know us all, and have a desire to join us. We all agree that we don't have to own a garden tractor to be a member here, right?

• Alc, backwoods and SupplySergeant have said thanks

#36 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 01:46 PM

Just a thought, but what about anywhere within the ohio, indy, ky tristate area? How many guys are aound here?

• johndeereelfman and twostep have said thanks

#37 josh deaven OFFLINE  

josh deaven

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 535
  • 477 Thanks
  • 574 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 02:31 PM

You already have a spring swap meet in Portland Indiana in May where some member could met in the spring with out much work. Just idea.

• johndeereelfman and CubHorse80 have said thanks

#38 CubHorse80 OFFLINE  

CubHorse80
  • 159 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Oh yeah, forgot about that. :bigrofl:

#39 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hmmm! A group of us N. Indiana guys attend a meet and greet with our Wheelhorses in Oct. each year. Kinda cold and last year rain that late in year, but is kinda neat. Fellas from the Red Square WH forums join up. But it has tractors, swap meet and plowing. All just one day.  Could be a week-end thing if you wanted late and a fire.  Think it would really need some tractors or parts to swap for me to go to it. Not a big conversationalist really. 

I was once on a GMC group that had a meet, but was out west, never got there. My Moline group has meets around country, but that is usually going to ONE fellas place and seeing HIS tractors and stuff after meeting in a restaurant for breakfast or such. Just the one guy really showing his stuff and shop then. That isn't too bad.

What was the GMC group? I have 4 of them.

I doubt a meet would ever be close enough to western South Dakota for us to make it to one. Sometimes this area seems like an isolated island!-LOL!

DAC

#40 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,700 Thanks
  • 8,893 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:40 PM

I doubt a meet would ever be close enough to western South Dakota for us to make it to one. Sometimes this area seems like an isolated island!-LOL!

DAC

Nonsense, we'll invade Sturgis with our garden tractors. Let's plan on it being the first week of August.

• johndeereelfman, MFDAC and twostep have said thanks

#41 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 09:56 PM

That's the time frame I was thinking too Cat. That weekend won't interfere with the Dover Show, or Daniels Plow Day, any Expos (that I know of) and all of the seeds will be planted by then. It may be hot due to being held in August, but I think it would be a good weekend to start out with, or at least shoot for. 

I really like the multiple locations idea. Maybe set up four or five different gatherings on the same weekend. We could have just about everybody included, and if some of you guys do the Skype thing, we could check in with the other groups to see how things are going.

Since it would be rather hard to find a nice camp ground that will let us tare up their property with plowing, we could always do tractor games? Just thinking out loud. 

Are we all thinking about a weekend where we arrive on a Friday evening, spend the day together on Saturday, and then head for home on Sunday? Just feeling you all out. I guess we could do a Thursday evening arrival, spend Friday and Saturday together, and head for home on Sunday. Would make it a little more worth it for some of the guys who would be coming from a four or five hour distance. 

#42 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 10:00 PM

Nonsense, we'll invade Sturgis with our garden tractors. Let's plan on it being the first week of August.

Could camp on my acre, just leave your cutting decks on and do a little mowing before we take the garden tractor gang on a ride through Sturgis and invade the "Full Throttle"! That would give 'em some drama for the TV show!--LOL! Maybe we could make jackets with GTT "colors"!

DAC

• Canawler, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#43 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 11:17 PM

That weekend won't interfere with the Dover Show, or Daniels Plow Day, any Expos (that I know of) and all of the seeds will be planted by then. 

I like to see that you are thinking of everyone. So many people want to plan stuff in the spring... you know, garden planting season!!

• johndeereelfman and backwoods have said thanks

#44 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:46 AM

i like the idea of a few meeting locations if the places have wi fi we could connect over the forum have everyone and each location sign in under a group meeting just another idea.The hardest part is where to find a meeting place that is good for each of the five locations or will you assign a person or persons to find a location in the voted upon area for a gathering?

#45 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:59 AM

....before we take the garden tractor gang on a ride through Sturgis and invade the "Full Throttle"! That would give 'em some drama for the TV show!--LOL! Maybe we could make jackets with GTT "colors"!

DAC

The mods would fit right in at Sturgis.  Rumor has it, they all had to get GTTalk tattoos before they took the gig. :thumbs:

• MFDAC said thank you