#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 09:49 PM

I was going back through some of the various posts about plow days, tractor shows, and miscellaneous meetings with other members due to selling or trading our toys. So I thought, why don't we pick one weekend next year, and try to get as many members to attend as possible, just for a meet and greet? No plows, no tractors, no trailers. Just a weekend of food, fellowship and story swapping. We could make it an annual event, meaning we use the same weekend every year, so members could plan their schedule or vacation time. 

If you all are like me, I have a list of guys that I'm just hoping to meet someday, and what better opportunity than this? We pick a place at random each year, so that we aren't visiting the same place each year. With all of the members here, the expenses wouldn't be really that bad. I'm pretty sure we have enough members here that have enough acreage to house us all with tents, so other than gas and some miscellaneous food, we could keep the cost down for each member. I know some of you will travel a great distance for a show or plow day, so why not for a meet and greet?

Someone could organize a list of the members wanting to attend, and keep a log of who is bringing hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken, drinks, chips, pretzels, and so forth. Hotels or Motels could be optional of course, but I think it would be neat to just rough it out in a field somewhere as a group, sitting around a camp fire, and taking the time to really get to know each other.  

Now before you all panic, no, I'm not expecting guys from the East Coast to travel to the West Coast, or you members from Canada to travel to Florida or Texas, just for a weekend. We pick an area say in Virginia. All the members that can attend, attends. The following year, we pick an area in Connecticut, and all those in the area attends. The next year, pick somewhere out near Iowa. I'm not asking "all" the members to attend, or travel to all parts of the States, I just think it would be neat to start an annual gathering, as another way of "keeping us close."

If it's a bad idea, and no one is interested, just say so. There will be no hard feelings. Like the title says, I'm just throwing it out there to give us something to think about. 

Edited by Cat385B, December 22, 2013 - 10:26 PM.

• Gtractor, hamman, KennyP and 9 others have said thanks

#2 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 09:57 PM

I think the idea is great. I am not able to travel far, so, when it is close enough to me I'm in! :thumbs:

Geno

• grnspot110, hamman and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:01 PM

Sounds like a winner to me, Troy.  I'd like to meet quite a handful of folks from here.

Ben W.

• hamman and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#4 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 11:02 PM

Good idea! Even if I have to spend time with Troy or that other fellow; I think he has something to do with this site...Does George sound right?  Sounds good Elfy!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#5 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 12:12 AM

Sounds good to me :thumbs:

#6 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:04 AM

what if instead of one for the country we do regions like one in VA then have one in Iowa on a different date then one in the Utah area then one on the east coast somewhere all on different dates so if people wanted to attend on or the other they could

• johndeereelfman and Sawdust have said thanks

#7 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 01:30 AM

That sounds like a great idea, I would like to meet many of the people on here   :thumbs:

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:47 AM

What a great idea !  We go camping with 5 other couples w/kids and as far as food and drinks I think it's easier if everyone brought their own hot dogs, hamburgers , rolls drinks and then a cover dish . Then have a fire going all day and cook your own food . 

#9 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:55 AM

Can it be BYOT  (bring your own tractor) :D   I want to meet you guys....but I sure like to see a few tractors too!!! Maybe learn a few things......not a plow day.....just a here we are and hang out day. I understand KISS - keep it simple stupid- so BYOT, BYOF (bring your own food), and have some fun! Just my 2 cents.

Regional's would be nice. I have done a lot of tractor picking up all over the mid and eastern USA.....not sure how much longer my wife is going to put up with that. :D

• Gtractor, IamSherwood, johndeereelfman and 3 others have said thanks

#10 bgkid2966 OFFLINE  

bgkid2966

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8254
  • 1,407 Thanks
  • 1,327 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:37 AM

Can it be BYOT  (bring your own tractor) :D   I want to meet you guys....but I sure like to see a few tractors too!!! Maybe learn a few things......not a plow day.....just a here we are and hang out day. I understand KISS - keep it simple stupid- so BYOT, BYOF (bring your own food), and have some fun! Just my 2 cents.

Regional's would be nice. I have done a lot of tractor picking up all over the mid and eastern USA.....not sure how much longer my wife is going to put up with that. :D

I like this idea!

Geno

#11 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:41 AM

Hmmm! A group of us N. Indiana guys attend a meet and greet with our Wheelhorses in Oct. each year. Kinda cold and last year rain that late in year, but is kinda neat. Fellas from the Red Square WH forums join up. But it has tractors, swap meet and plowing. All just one day.  Could be a week-end thing if you wanted late and a fire.  Think it would really need some tractors or parts to swap for me to go to it. Not a big conversationalist really. 

I was once on a GMC group that had a meet, but was out west, never got there. My Moline group has meets around country, but that is usually going to ONE fellas place and seeing HIS tractors and stuff after meeting in a restaurant for breakfast or such. Just the one guy really showing his stuff and shop then. That isn't too bad.

• johndeereelfman and MFDAC have said thanks

#12 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:53 AM

Sounds like a good time!

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:09 AM

Sounds like a great idea. I'm wondering if bringing a tractor is something some would want to do. If you made it optional then you could have a bit of a GT show at the same time. No contests or prizes, just on display and for discussion, so to speak. Being able to see other brands of tractors in a fun and informal setting would be quite interesting to me. 

• Gtractor, Alc, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,735 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:40 AM

If I came, I'd have to bring the FF's or Uncle Willie would be trying to sneak up here and get them!

• IamSherwood, johndeereelfman and sacsr have said thanks

#15 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:50 AM

Can we really get all of these guys together without tractors being involved? I'm guessing that's a "no" lol...
  • Alc and johndeereelfman have said thanks