• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 24, 2010 - 11:49 PM

These two tractors were virtually identical, except one was a single cylinder 16 hp Kohler, hence the QS designation. Quiet model, Single cylinder. The other was a twin cylinder 17 hp Kohler KT17 (boo, hiss) Quiet model, Twin cylinder. What I'd like to know, is if I can put the single cylinder engine in my QT17. the lighter weight of the 16 will more than compensate for the one less hp, plus the lighter weight should really help in ease of steering. I've looked on several sites and the only thing that I can see is the bottom mounting tray MAY be different only because it has a different part number, but on the diagram they look the same. Any one got any info, before I tear off the series one engine, and toss it into the salvage pile

#2 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 06:12 AM

Hi hooligan,
Im assuming the qt17 motor is broke, that is why ur scrapping it??? Cuz if not i might be interested in it!! Well anyway I would think the tractors like you said are Identical, so the qt16 should fit in. If you have a whole parts machine with the qt16 in it, this is even better so you can swapped any different parts around rather than try to find or make certain small things that are slightly different work. Also some basic measure ments between the 2 motors would help. Hey people tell me anything can be done, and all it takes is $$$$$. Good luck and keep us posted!

Edited by fonz3482, February 25, 2010 - 07:32 AM.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 06:27 AM

Hi hooligan,
Im assuming the qt17 motor is broke, that is why ur scrapping it??? Well anyway I would think the tractors like you said are Identical, so the qt16 should fit in. If you have a whole parts machine with the qt16 in it, this is even better so you can swapped any different parts around rather than try to find or make certain small things that are slightly different work. Also some basic measure ments between the 2 motors would help. Hey people tell me anything can be done, and all it takes is $$$$$. Good luck and keep us posted!

:ditto:
Posted Image

#4 Gary Burnett ONLINE  

Gary Burnett

• Member No: 44
  • 10 Thanks
  • 98 posts

Posted February 25, 2010 - 06:44 AM

I have a QT 16 with a Twin cylinder 16HP Onan.Pretty sure it has some mounting plates it bolts to which would mean a change of mounting plates to put in a single cylinder.No big deal to make a mount for a small engine

#5 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 26, 2010 - 06:16 AM

Yeah the mount has a plate then four arms that curve up and out, I've looked at the onan twin and mine they are the same, the diagram show the single cylinder using the same mount, if not I'll get one off ebay

#6 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 27, 2010 - 05:00 PM

I don't know too much about the " Q " series bolens,but they look pretty tough.