#16 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,698 Thanks
  • 8,891 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 07:48 PM

Brian, have you ever read of us northerner's post about the cold and snow and shook your head at us?

Well, right back at ya! Keep 'em contained down there....

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#17 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,367 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Growing up on the farm i learned to protect black snakes,they take care of mice and other rodents.They are fairly docile and won't bother you if you don't bother them. Water snakes on the other hand,poisonous or not are nervous and have a hair trigger. I grew up in the woods around all kinds of snakes and don't like to kill any unless they are poisonous. Snakes take care of a lot of other pests.   

• Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 09:01 PM

How dare you! Lol

People boast to me all the time about how they kill copper heads all the time, and you are the first one (with proof) I have seen who actually killed a copper head, and not a milk snake.
  • rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#19 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,597 Thanks
  • 3,906 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 09:20 PM

Find a large toothpick [or piece of wire] and push it half way in the ground in an easily seen spot in the front yard.  Impale the head end - on the exposed part of the toothpick and tell someone:  "Hey!  go pick that mushroom over there!"  See how close they get before they figure out what it is - and note how loud they scream.  :thumbs:

• DougT, Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood and 7 others have said thanks

#20 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 17, 2013 - 10:25 PM

How dare you! Lol

People boast to me all the time about how they kill copper heads all the time, and you are the first one (with proof) I have seen who actually killed a copper head, and not a milk snake.

cd.jpg

Copperhead vs BlueOx

Had a pic of a 5 footer that committed suicide in the front yard with the 12 gauge laying across the hood of Christine but it got deleted.

• Texas Deere and Horse, IamSherwood, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#21 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 09:07 AM

Brian, have you ever read of us northerner's post about the cold and snow and shook your head at us?

Well, right back at ya! Keep 'em contained down there....

Preach it!!!

We've only had sightings of poisonous snakes up my way, water moccassion occassionally, but I',m not a water person so pretty safe.

We had a baby king snake in the garage a coupel months ago, I let him go in the park next to us. I try not to kill any snakes, they are too beneficial in regards to the little varments! I would'ev done the same in your shoes, no time for poisonous things!

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#22 oldtimer OFFLINE  

oldtimer
  • Member No: 10588
  • 374 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 10:49 AM

Copperhead would equal copper skivvies for me !   Don't like 'em at all .   Common garter snake is what we see a lot of around here. 'specially in the garden, under the cuke and squash leaves.  My wife stepped on one one time and she was startled, but reacted better'n I think I would've.  A few weeks later there were a bunch of little ones in the garden.  Wife said to me " Hey, 'Agnes' had babies!"  Yup, she named the snake ! lol

• rustyoldjunk, Texas Deere and Horse, HDWildBill and 3 others have said thanks

#23 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:36 PM

Preach it!!!

We've only had sightings of poisonous snakes up my way, water moccassion occassionally, but I',m not a water person so pretty safe.
We had a baby king snake in the garage a coupel months ago, I let him go in the park next to us. I try not to kill any snakes, they are too beneficial in regards to the little varments! I would'ev done the same in your shoes, no time for poisonous things!

What you are seeing are probably brown water snakes, water moccasins do no not live up in Ohio.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 06:38 PM

cd.jpg
Copperhead vs BlueOx

Had a pic of a 5 footer that committed suicide in the front yard with the 12 gauge laying across the hood of Christine but it got deleted.

I know you have quite a few people on the list of people who you hate. Between you being a chevy guy, and killing snakes... You might be on mine!

#25 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Ryan I have a 2 year old son. If it is poisonous it dies. He is more important than a snake. We do have lots of black snakes around that I love. I find them all over. Heath isn't sure about them.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Ryan I have a 2 year old son. If it is poisonous it dies. He is more important than a snake. We do have lots of black snakes around that I love. I find them all over. Heath isn't sure about them.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand why people kill them under specific circumstances. In your case, I do understand and will not hold it against you. I hope you understand my last post was just some harmless :poke:

#27 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 10:40 PM

We have to kill the poisonous ones at work too. I had to "spiritually relocate" (Thanks, Will-LOL) this rattlesnake a couple years back. I hooked him out of the water and flopped him on the ground in front of me thinking he was a bullsnake. Then I noticed the wedge shaped head and figured out rattles don't make any noise when wet. Put him back in the water until I could find a shovel. It was 28" long without the head. Too many people walking around here to risk letting them go. A hay contractor got bit opening a gate last year on our grounds.

Non-poisonous Bullsnakes seem to help keep rattlers away. They will coil up and vibrate their tail to act like a rattler but they buzz or hum instead of rattle. I take them home occasionally and turn them loose on my acre, and very seldom ever see any rodents, or the snakes again for that matter.

DAC

Attached Thumbnails

• Web rattlesnake 7-25-11  in water.jpg
  • Web rattlesnake 7-25-11 no head.jpg

#28 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,737 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:28 PM

Don't worry Ryan. If i was mad everyone would know it. I like non poisonous snakes. We have a rough earth snake in the tank right now. We have brought home dozens odds black and king snakes to turn loose.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, December 20, 2013 - 11:32 PM.