Jump to content

Vote for Featured Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Troybuilt 2410 Auger Rebuild....


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

    Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 2,749 posts
  • Location: Michigan

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:19 PM

for a friend. Now that we are back from our trip I need to fix her snowblower. She had it sold to another friend, but it snowed and she wanted to clean the drive to get the Uhaul truck in without a problem. She hit a big rock and damaged the auger drive on it. I looked at it prior to going on the trip and I figured that she had stripped the teeth on the brass gear in the auger trans.. I tore it apart tonight and found that not only did she strip the gear, she broke it nearly in half. Along with that the keyway where the woodruff key ste was blown out. Now as it sets it needs an new 20T brass gear, auger shaft and woodruff key. The bearings don't seem bad but I think I will recommend that the bearings be repalced. I was very surprised that the bolts on this were all SAE and there was only three different sizes. Here are a few pictures. Thanks. Roger.

The brass worm gear-DSCF6558.JPG

The auger shaft with blown key way-DSCF6566.JPG


  • Alc said thank you

#2 ol' stonebreaker ONLINE  

ol' stonebreaker
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 12515
  • 1,642 Thanks
  • 1,132 posts
  • Location: idaho

Posted December 16, 2013 - 11:53 PM

Compare the cost of a new shaft against having a new keyway cut 180* opposite the bad one. You could weld up the old keyway and smooth it down to maintain shaft strength.
Mike
  • hamman said thank you

#3 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

    Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 2,749 posts
  • Location: Michigan

Posted December 17, 2013 - 06:47 PM

Took it to a local shop (only one within 35 miles) and he wanted $50.00 to cut a new keyway and fill and grind the old. I ordered the parts today for a total of $69.98 tax included with no shipping and I will have it on Thursday afternoon. I was going to order on line but I need some other parts from this local (20 miles away) shop. I can wait until Thursday for all the parts and only make one trip. I was looking at the shaft after I got back and saw that it is actually bent also. I am repairing this as I said fro a friend and if he bucks at the price I will just give him the money and I will keep it. He hasn't paid anything on it as of yet and he was hesitant at buying iot originaly. Only takes a few min to put it back together. I still have to straighten the 4 auger sections that collected the rock that went into the second stage. It appears that the secondstage shaft and gear are are fine. All bearing appear to be fine. More pictures after I get new parts. Roger.



#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

    Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 2,749 posts
  • Location: Michigan

Posted December 28, 2013 - 10:21 AM

Finally got the last part, worm shaft. Off to the garage to reassemble, test run it and get it back to its owner. It needs new augers but he hasn't the money to buy them now. I told him to buy one a month over the winter and in the spring call me and we would replace them. Pics later. Roger.



#5 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

    Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

  • Senior Member
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 6,107 Thanks
  • 2,749 posts
  • Location: Michigan

Posted December 28, 2013 - 05:51 PM

It is finished. Sorry no action shots of it in use, however believe me it does work well. When I was reassembling it I found that there are 2 auger pins that are longer than the other 2! I noticed that the grooves for shearing are not in the same places as the other shorter ones?? I think when she sheared some pins last winter she bought generic pins for it and they didn't shear as they should of when she hit the " boulder" , yup I think it was  ahuge rock that she hit. The 2 inside augers were bent badly. I had to put them in the old balcksmiths vise and squeeze them back into shape. Before I did that I could spin the auger assembly and it scraped the housing badly. After I straightened them as best I could after assembling the assembly turned freely in the housing and not touching it. Glad to get it running and working again. When he comes to pick it up I will tell him about the pins and also about the augers being out of balance. Here are a few more pics of the assembly. Thanks. Roger.

DSCF6657.JPG DSCF6661.JPG DSCF6663.JPG DSCF6665.JPG

Forgot to say that it has a new auger shaft, worm shaft, 20T Brass Worm gear and new woodruff key. Had to replace one of the bolts that holds auger assembly to the rear half.


Edited by hamman, December 28, 2013 - 05:54 PM.





Top