• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 02:14 AM

Wasn't the Bultaco Trials bike called an Alpina Pursang. It's been like 35 years so my memory is a bit foggy. I seem to remember wanting one but they were never sold in my area. We had the 4 jap. brands and Can Am and that was it. Those Can Am dirt bikes in the mid 70's were fast. A reed valve Rotax 2 stroke. The chassis was a bit of a disaster and the brakes were down right dangerous. Too bad there's not much dirt bike activity here these days. I still get the urge to have one every spring.

One of the many i had was a Yamaha tt500.. stupid fast and horrible brakes..  It lasted one year.. I upgraded to less power and more brakes.. 

The Harley is still here.. thought about selling it. even the 500 km a year on it last year was worth keeping it. Hope next year i can do more miles.. 

• HDWildBill said thank you

#32 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 07:19 AM

No surprise a lot of us here are gear heads -motor junkies and rode dirt bikes. I rode mostly when I was young. First bike was a JT-1 Yamaha, then upgraded to a Honda XR-75 in 1974.....I raced that bike motorcross for a year or so. Then sold it....then bought a Yamaha YZ-250 at 25.....took it to the local motorcross race.....one time on the track reminded me I was older and liked all my bones not broken.....trail rode it for a while....then sold it. I collected childrens bikes for years...Honda MR-50, Honda XR-50, Yamaha JT-1, Yamaha Jt-2.....got several old aftermarket expansion chambers hanging from ceiling in my shop. The last big bike I had, I searched 10years looking for, I found it about 9 years ago....1973 Honda Elsinore CR250- aluminum tank- green stripe- it was the first Japanese out of the crate motorcross bike. The bike was all original...still had the decals on the fenders and the flap on the front fender.....kept it for about 2 years....then needed the space and money - guy from Ohio, left work on Friday and drove all night to pick it up- saw how nice it was and gave me the look---told him I knew what I had.....just time to move on- he was buying it for vintage motorcross racing- that bike had only been trail ridden.....the compression was so good I had to use all my weight to get it kicked over...

Yes I regret selling it some days......but finding it was the fun part......owning a machine with 6 speeds that would fly was past my riding skills at that point of my life.

#33 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 08:28 AM

No surprise a lot of us here are gear heads -motor junkies and rode dirt bikes. I rode mostly when I was young. First bike was a JT-1 Yamaha, then upgraded to a Honda XR-75 in 1974.....I raced that bike motorcross for a year or so. Then sold it....then bought a Yamaha YZ-250 at 25.....took it to the local motorcross race.....one time on the track reminded me I was older and liked all my bones not broken.....trail rode it for a while....then sold it. I collected childrens bikes for years...Honda MR-50, Honda XR-50, Yamaha JT-1, Yamaha Jt-2.....got several old aftermarket expansion chambers hanging from ceiling in my shop. The last big bike I had, I searched 10years looking for, I found it about 9 years ago....1973 Honda Elsinore CR250- aluminum tank- green stripe- it was the first Japanese out of the crate motorcross bike. The bike was all original...still had the decals on the fenders and the flap on the front fender.....kept it for about 2 years....then needed the space and money - guy from Ohio, left work on Friday and drove all night to pick it up- saw how nice it was and gave me the look---told him I knew what I had.....just time to move on- he was buying it for vintage motorcross racing- that bike had only been trail ridden.....the compression was so good I had to use all my weight to get it kicked over...

Yes I regret selling it some days......but finding it was the fun part......owning a machine with 6 speeds that would fly was past my riding skills at that point of my life.

I lived near the local Honda dealer back in the 70's. Hung out with the owners kids. We tried to start one of those CR250's one day when putting the bikes inside at closing. None of us could get it started. I remember those well. It was before the era of long travel suspension.  The guy who bought it used to let it roll down hill to get it started. This topic is really bringing back some fond dirt bike memories! 

• sacsr and HDWildBill have said thanks

#34 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Chopperhead, first I have to apologize for heading this thread off in another direction. But as had been mentioned it has been a fun thread.

My first bike was a 1957 Harley Hummer with a 125 2 stroke bored out to 185CC. That was a hardtail so I know how the hardtail can beat one up.  It seems like ones taste in bikes tends to evolve over the years. When I was younger a Chopper was where it was at. Never had one, I always rode Dirtbikes even on the street. I always rode a lot of gravel roads and the dirt bike was less twitchy on gravel. But trust me having an engine seize on gravel at 60 mph will heighten the pucker factor.  I thought the Cafe Racers were cool and studied them a lot, but never built one.

At my age I don't see myself playing ricky Racer with my butt in the air on a Cafe or Super Bike.

I always liked the clean lines and no nonsense look of a flat track bike. If I were to get another bike I think I would build one of the Street Trackers that is all the rage at this time. 

Edited by JD DANNELS, December 18, 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#35 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted December 18, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Chopperhead, first I have to apologize for heading this thread off in another direction. But as had been mentioned it has been a fun thread.

My first bike was a 1957 Harley Hummer with a 125 2 stroke bored out to 185CC. That was a hardtail so I know how the hardtail can beat one up.  It seems like ones taste in bikes tends to evolve over the years. When I was younger a Chopper was where it was at. Never had one, I always rode Dirtbikes even on the street. I always rode a lot of gravel roads and the dirt bike was less twitchy on gravel. But trust me having an engine seize on gravel at 60 mph will heighten the pucker factor.  I thought the Cafe Racers were cool and studied them a lot, but never built one.

At my age I don't see myself playing ricky Racer with my butt in the air on a Cafe or Super Bike.

I always liked the clean lines and no nonsense look of a flat track bike. If I were to get another bike I think I would build one of the Street Trackers that is all the rage at this time. 

Cafe Racer just had an article about Roland Sands taking a wrecked 1200 Sportster and making a street tracker out of it.  That was one really cool bike.  I would love to have a bike like that just to play around on.   Like you though laid out on the tank is a thing of the past for me as well.