9 replies to this topic

#1 cram1234 OFFLINE  

cram1234
  • Member No: 51550
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi Everyone,

Brand new to the forum but a great source for information.   You guys know you stuff.

I inherited a Snapper 1855 a few years ago and have had very few issues other than general maintenance stuff.  Great tractor.  I primarily use the tractor with a dirt scoop for yard work etc but also for blowing snow.  This year after mounting the blower and engaging the electric PTO I noticed that there was a lot of slop in the front pulley causing the clutch / electromagnet to not engage.  It appears that there was a bushing in front of the armatureIMG_09151.JPG  that may have worn out causing this loose fit. I attached a photo looking down at the armature and shaft.  The bearing appears fine but has a lot of slop on the shaft.  

2 questions:

1. Can I source just the armature and bushing? 

2. Does anyone know where I can source a new or used electric PTO clutch complete?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.  It is appreciated.

#2 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 12:42 PM

Welcome.

Good luck trying to find one, maybe ebay or if someone is parting one out on your local Craigslist.

I thought I read once that some JD's used same PTO in one or two models, but I never confirmed.

There has been some people who with some ingenuity, built a manual/lever operated system with idler pulleys and just had pulley welded to clutch.

I also have an 1855, PO said switch went out so the front PTO has never worked. I'm getting ready to put motor back in after some gasket replacements, I sure hope my PTO works.

• cram1234 said thank you

#3 jms180 OFFLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 927 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 03:19 PM

not much help here but a lot of electric pto are made by warner electric. Look for a part number on pto. Be
ready for price shock.

#4 pianotuner OFFLINE  

pianotuner

• Member No: 7799
  • 55 Thanks
  • 86 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 08:57 AM

You might just find a shop that can turn that down and shim it or build it back up and turn it down to specs.  I had a dump truck repair shop make new mower deck spindles for me.  He also welded up another set and turned them back down to specs. 

You would be looking for an old timer that was taught how to do this by his dad or grandfather.  They could retemper steel by heating to a certain color and then cooling in different oils.  This is a lost art from WWII days.

#5 cram1234 OFFLINE  

cram1234
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for all of the help guys it is appreciated.  I will see if I can find a used one first.  Have a great Christmas everyone.

#6 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

Tractorholic

• Member No: 204
  • 134 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 09:52 PM

Look under Massey parts vendors and sources in this forum......I did a lot of research on this already. Luke

#7 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

FrozenInTime
  • Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted December 20, 2013 - 11:46 PM

I tack welded mine solid.  There was a NOS on fleabay a couple weeks back.  You might call these guys up.  The one I will show the link too does not look like it would work on an 1855, but maybe they would have your exact one.

http://www.jackssmal...es/255383/55122

#8 cram1234 OFFLINE  

cram1234
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:46 AM

Just wanted to bump to the top.  Still haven't found a replacement and having absolutely no luck with a proper new replacement.  If anyone has any leads on an old one or know what model new one would fit I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks again guys for the help.

#9 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 09:56 AM

My advice is roll up yer sleeves and fit another clutch in there. An electric clutch is an electric clutch. If youre chasing your exact part youll have to dig deep to find it and spend a lot to get it. Just go to a salvage yard and get one that looks like yours in size and built, make it fit on your machine and go enjoy the product of thy labour mate. Like I always say: If the chinese can do it... I can do better.

#10 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted March 06, 2014 - 06:18 PM

If you have acess to a machine shop. have an adapter plate made that will fit the kohler style electric clutches. My 1855 had an onan originally and the PO had a Kohler magnum put in it. They made an adapter for the onan style clutch to fit on the kohler engine. That clutch went out and I had a kohler K style clutch, it didnt fit the magnum correctly so I drilled the mounting hole pattern into it that would fit the onan adapter. The main thing will be getting the pullies to line up, then make an adapter.