Hydro Lift Valve Rebuild

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MendhamFox OFFLINE  

• Member No: 51540
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 07:44 AM

I've been helping my dad work on his 73 or 74 jacobsen hydro drive tube frame/open side tractor - it's either a 12hp or 14 hp.  We've had the lift cylinder re-built and also replaced the busted-up cooling fan.  The lift cylinder control valve is leaking and I was wondering if it's possible to rebuild the valve.  I've rebuilt log splitter valves and a JD power steering column - so I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous.  Can these lift cylinder control valves be rebuilt?  If so, do you get a rebuild kit from New Holland or the original valve manufacturer?  For instance, with JD, the power steering rebuild kit came directly from a Parker-Hannifin dealer.

• boyscout862 said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,664 Thanks
  • 4,212 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 08:18 AM

Sorry I can't help with your question other than maybe taking the valve to a hydraulic repair shop for advise.

But I can say, :welcometogttalk:

#3 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,448 Thanks
  • 7,339 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:38 AM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. You can rebuild most valves and cylinders from the old tractors. Our sponsors may have the kits. A local hydraulics shop may have the parts. When purchasing entire assemblies, I've had good luck with https://www.surpluscenter.com/ and www.baileysales.com . While you have it apart, check the hoses carefully. Share some pics of the project. Good Luck, Rick

#4 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,666 Thanks
  • 1,418 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 09:40 AM

The valves usually are not very complicated. Most contain a couple of O-rings, a spool valve and a spring or two. Take one piece out at a time and keep them in order. Try not to force anything. Look the spool valve over carefully to ensure there is no wear or defects that will gouge the new O-rings or seals. O-rings can be bought at many auto parts stores or seek out the help of a hydraulic shop. Use plenty of oil to put back together, again don't force anything. It will be very tight with new seals. Good luck. and don't forget :camera:

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#5 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,355 Thanks
  • 3,126 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 05:34 PM

As stated abovforgot 't force anything at disassembly time and . Be absolute sure that there are no burs!!!! At either end of the spool.
It should slide right out after the spring and cup are removed .
It should have o rings at both ends and nothing in the middle. Good luck and we want pics too.
Oh yeah almost fogot my manners.... Welcome aboard

#6 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,729 Thanks
  • 2,154 posts

Posted December 16, 2013 - 06:42 PM

:welcometogttalk: enjoy , Tom

#7 MendhamFox OFFLINE  

• Member No: 51540
  • 2 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 07:38 PM

Thanks, all - I will indeed take some photos and post them.  I will also make a list of the after-market seals and o-rings that I end up getting so someone else can replicate the project. 

• KennyP said thank you

#8 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,581 Thanks
  • 38,979 posts

Posted December 19, 2013 - 08:03 PM

Welcome to the forum! This is something I haven't done as yet, so I'll be watching for your info!